Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Santa Fe XL Luxury
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's understandable that Hyundai would drop a larger engine into the roomier and not much heavier Palisade. Not to "dis" the Palisade but here's the thing and maybe I'm just missing something. The 3.8 puts out 291 hp @ 6000 rpm. The 3.3 in the XL puts out 290 hp @ 6400 rpm, basically a 1 hp difference with only a 10 lb-ft difference in torque between the two. I know that the Atkinson is more efficient at the expense of power but to me it makes no sense to weigh down the Palisade with the 3.8. Fuel economy is still 1 MPG better on the SF and the Power to Weight Ratio (PWR) ends up higher on the Santa Fe. I guess I like paying for power.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The compression ratio is pretty high on the 3.8 Lambda, at 13. I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai uprates the engine at some point down the road.

·
Registered
2017 Santa Fe XL Luxury
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The compression ratio is pretty high on the 3.8 Lambda, at 13. I wouldn't be surprised if Hyundai uprates the engine at some point down the road.
Yes. It would be interesting to know how much more power they can squeeze out before having to make physical changes. But then your fuel economy starts going south. I'm thinking the lighter 3.3L with the ol' tried and true 6 speed might have been a better overall match for the 100 pound heavier Palisade.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts