Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided I wanted to paint my engine cover, keep the outsides black and paint the silver a blue color except for the lettering and Hyundai symbol. While doing so, I thought I'd share with those that are thinking of doing this, it's pretty much self explanatory, but ya never know, sometimes you need a step-by-step so here ya go!

Start off by getting whatever color paint(s) that you want, some wet/dry sandpaper, some masking tape (I used Duck brand Painter's tape), a razor blade, and a small brush for touching it up afterward.

Once you have the cover off, grab your tape and your razor blade, this part takes the longest, masking off all of the letters and the outer area, and in particular the Hyundai symbol. Each letter I put a piece across the entire letter then pressed it down so it was covered completely, then cut around the outside, leaving enough room to completely cover the letter with tape. And did this to every letter.

Next you will completely tape off the outsides, covering all the black so you don't get any paint on it (You'll see I missed a couple of spots with tape and had to sand it off. And here is what it looks like completely masked up.

Now take your sandpaper and rough up the silver paint that you're going to paint over, then wash it off with soap and water and let it dry for about 10 minutes to make sure the paint will stick really well.

Now apply your coat of paint. Let set for about 20 minutes-1 hour. (Or follow the directions on the can. I applied 3 coats of Blue Rustoleum High Heat Paint.

Once your paint is completely dry, you remove your masking tape and you will reveal all kinds of what look like mistakes at the time. This is where your brush comes in, so I'll post a before and after the touch up pictures. I sprayed the paint can into the lid and used that as my paint holder to dip my brush, then just touched up the silver areas that still showed.

Before:

After:

And one of my pug trying to drive.

Feel free to ask me any questions on this, or painting your headlights, removing some stickers from your car, creating an engine damper (I'm working on that right now and will post a DIY Engine Damper here in the next few days, just gotta make a mount.) I may add another DIY for using the Tint Spray Paint on your headlights as well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
That looks pretty slick. Unfortunately the engine cover in my '08 Accent was just a solid black. Was thinking about painting the cover of my new '12 Accent, however since it's leased, I can't do any perminant modifications to the car. So was thinking of using Plasti Dip, but my concern is that it might get too hot for something like that. Website says it can tolerate up to 200°F, but I'm not sure that will be enough?

If not, are there any other suggestions on how to change the color of the engine cover that can be reverted back to stock if need be?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, with masking off what you want to paint, even if everything is black, you can go wild. ****, if you want you can put flames across it, it's all up to your imagination and creativity. As far as the plasti-dip, I think it would probably get too hot, especially since the cover pretty much sits right on top, and when you're sitting there the heat just rises up.

My only suggestion for changing color and then being able to revert to stock would be to just get another cover. Find someone not using theirs, or find one in a junkyard and paint that, then you can just swap it back if need be. I like to pull a lot of parts out of the junkyard, so typically that's something I'll suggest. :p

Post an ad on craigslist saying you're looking for one, look around junkyards, and try to get one cheap. It may take time, but it'll be worth it if you want to be able to paint one then swap it. Plus you'll have that one that looks nice and pretty if you want the stock one back on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts