Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I scraped the paint on the front bumper few days ago and I want to repair myself.
The scratch is very deep; it went through the clear coat, paint, and maybe primer?
But yea. I need some advice on how to repair this baby. I did some research and found out
that I need a body filler to fill the scratches, because it is pretty deep. Then I need to use primer
and paint and clear coat. Also I'm not using a spray paint because Hyundai only sells the touch up paint(brush type?)
So this will be a hard one. I already bought a Evercoat's Rage Xtreme. Can you guys give me some recommendations
on the good primer and clear coat? Also what is Sonata's paint type? lacquer or enamel? because I heard that you need
to use the lacquer primer if your car's paint is lacquer for example. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Based on the experience level you describe, I think you are headed for disaster.

The color has to be matched and blended perfectly or it will stand out like a brightly glowing bulb. The entire section that has damage needs to be re-sprayed or it will
show up.

Your looking at about $500.00 worth of body shop repair work if you want it to be done correctly. Bad news I'm sure but true.

·
Registered
623 Posts
That'll buff right out...
:whistling:

Ok. Seriously... Fossil was right about $400-$500 at a body shop.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already went to few body shops and got few estimates.
One shop told me that they would paint the whole bumper blend it to the fender for $200(initially asked for $300, but I managed to bring it down to $200).
Another shop told me that they would paint only the section that is damaged for $200.
Another shop told me that they would do it for $500, painting the whole bumper.

I too think that the body shops would do a better job than I, but since it is a small damage I thought maybe I can fix it and save some money.
I already purchased a body filler from amazon and I think the seller is going to ship it soon. I just messaged the seller to cancel my order, but I don't know how that's gonna go. If he lets me cancel the order than, I will probably take the first shop who will paint the whole bumper and blend it for $200.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Your need to do the whole bumper if you want a exact match. Don't trust a body shop who says they can do one section only as it will probably be a half **** job. But if you want to do it yourself, go back to the body shop and most will sell you paint in larger volume or mix it for you. It's a pretty big section so unless you are experienced in prepping and painting I wouldn't do it myself. Where I used to work we had a paint booth and to do a little section is a lot of work. Need to remove paint, fill it, sand it, primer, paint, clear coat, wet sanding, polishing. If it was a larger section they prefered to just strip everything and do it all over again to ensure color match. Good news is the bumper is plastic so don't have to worry about rust if you leave it for a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts