Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else thought about painting the plastic trim around the wheel wells and the rocker panels ? I seen a video of this being done on a Tucson. I wish I could remember where I found it !

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
Would look so much better, but at what cost? It's probably the thing I hate most about the car. And yet most other brands are doing the same thing on a lot of models. I'll probably avoid buying any car with it next time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i dont mind mine too much just yet

bothers the OCD a little bit but i keep it washed and taken care of

also i would imagine the paint would just get torn up alot more instead of the plastic would be the only downside there

at least the plastic wouldnt be too noticeable like chipped or damaged paint would stand out

·
Registered
55 Posts
Would look so much better, but at what cost? It's probably the thing I hate most about the car. And yet most other brands are doing the same thing on a lot of models. I'll probably avoid buying any car with it next time.
I've booked my car in to do this exact thing first week of August ... I hate the plastic.

The shop is installing my new body kit and painting all plastic exterior trim the same gloss black as the rest of the vehicle. They are charging me $2,520 for the work. This includes grille (which I attempted myself) and the roof rack rails.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've booked my car in to do this exact thing first week of August ... I hate the plastic.

The shop is installing my new body kit and painting all plastic exterior trim the same gloss black as the rest of the vehicle. They are charging me $2,520 for the work. This includes grille (which I attempted myself) and the roof rack rails.

Definitely take some pics after it’s done. It should look really good. Maybe I should just get a quote to see how bad it would be to paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Definitely take some pics after it’s done. It should look really good. Maybe I should just get a quote to see how bad it would be to paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here was the break down of my quote. They've mentioned in my quote, it would be approx 60 hrs work :

Labour - $847.50 (Includes body kit fitment)
Painting - $1145.00
Parts - $279.40

This is all in AUD too sorry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone I found this thread and since I actually painted my wife’s Tucson plastics I decided to share a few pics
That looks really nice. I can't wait to get mine painted. Hopefully I can settle on a new rear diffuser and grille soon so that I can paint all at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did you paint the trim yourself? What paint did you use? I want to do all the black and grey plastic trim and the grill on mine.
I painted the grill on mine myself. Was simple enough to tape off the surrounds rather than pull the whole front apart. I used rubbish bags to cover most of the vehicle as it was what was most convenient for me at the time. Just make sure you cover behind the grille or you end up painting the radiator lol.

I used an inexpensive gloss black spray paint to do mine as it was pretty close to what I wanted. I didn't think there was a need to get a perfect color match. I had my plastic trim professionally done as it was needing to be pulled apart and I was not that confident doing it myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
"Dip" dont paint

Did you paint the trim yourself? What paint did you use? I want to do all the black and grey plastic trim and the grill on mine.
I would suggest Plastikote so if you decide you dont like it, you can remove it much easier than traditional spray paint. Lots of videos on how to paint your car using this product at dipyourcar.com, its very easy to work with and can be peeled off later if you desire. Thats what I used to black out the chrome grill of my 2016 SantaFe and it held up well for 3yrs with only two small stone chips in the plastikote where I can see chrome peaking thru and I get my car washed at least 2 times per week!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi everyone I found this thread and since I actually painted my wife’s Tucson plastics I decided to share a few pics

Wow!!!!!

What a difference!!!! One would think Hyundai would look at those pics and make the change to the plastic or at least offer it like WW does? That looks really great! The one thing I hate about the Tuscon is the very large plastic trim around the wheel wells. Makes the vehicle look cheap and creates a real maintenance issue. I am anal about my vehicle and taking care of that much plastic is a full time job here in Northern Ont. My 15 Sorento has a lot of plastic and during the winter it looks downright ugly!!!! If the texture was smooth it would be great because you could just wax over it and it would always look great.
"mbrossa" you should send a picture to the design dept at Hyundai to show them just how great the Tucson looks without all that **** plastic! LOL!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts