Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, from Canada...I was washing and waxing my one month old white GT GLS and noticed a lot of swirl marks that I couldn't remove on the hood.

I had a clear bra put on the hood and thought the marks were on that but was told they were on the paint underneath...has anyone experienced the swirl mark issue'...that is why I bought white, thought w/a white car they would be less noticeable... I only hand wash my car. THX dan

side bar-I'm finding that tree sap and bird droppings are next to impossible to remove from clear bra unless I get to them immediately...anyone experiencing this? THX dan

·
22,788 Posts
Since I don't have a clear bra, the only suggestion is to contact the installer or bra manufacturer to see what they recommend for cleaning.

As for the swirl marks underneath? Except for removal and buffing out the swirls, I'm at a loss for a remedy. If they aren't that noticable, I'd just live with it as opposed to spending more $.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THX...I'm going to see the installer of the clear bra...reasonable guy...the best product that was installed is like a sponge...I have to get to it just after bird-droppings or sap hit the car otherwise it will stain so may try another brand. I'm not getting a car cover.

Swirl-marks?-I'll have to live w/them for now, only became noticeable in the sun at certain angles when I was waxing. I think the marks were already there when i picked up the car..shoddy pre-delivery washing I suspect...D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Whoever installed your clear hood bra should have polished the paint before application of the product. Doesn't make sense to put a cover over rust, so why do the same with scratches?

As for bird droppings, look at a product called Xzilon. It's expensive from the dealer because they charge a 500% mark-up for the product but you can usually order it on Amazon or Ebay for $60. It's a paint sealant, I have it on my Elantra and when my car gets dirty or I have issues with bird I just have to hose it off. It also makes washing your car 100% easier but you cannot use abrasive chemicals or sponges or it'll ruin the sealant.

A lot of other people probably can recommend a good sealant, but get the hood polished before the next installation of the clear bra. May be a little more expensive or time consuming but it'll look a whole lot better than scratches.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THX to a Hamiltonian...I was born in the east-end along time ago...I'll make sure the car is polished before replacing clear bra....and I'll check out the sealant...maybe less expensive in US....

·
22,788 Posts
Just sealed mine the other day with Griot's. Also have some resin polish from AutoGlym. Buffed it off and the finish looked great. Then waxed it. Spectacular results.

My neighbor was showing me the hood on his wife's PT Cruiser. Appears she had run into some bugs and hadn't washed them off, properly. Over time, they had left pitted marks in the clear coat. I'm not sure the marks will come out without a lot of work! Maybe not then, either.

·
Registered
30 Posts
DogPaw - I don't get this ? I have just finished up with my white Ltd.
I did a lot of invisible mask on my front end . . . did it myself.

Did your installer use a good product . . . 3M?
Was there in fact a poor surface condition passed onto you from the dealer?
Was the surface properly cleaned before installation?

Then there's the skill of the installer?
This product . . . has to be installed in a very wet, slippery, easily slideable way on a perfectly clean surface. . . preferably indoors . . . and by someone . . . somewhat skilled in what they are doing with clean wet hands ?

It actually has an adhesive that sets it to the painted surface or clear plastic and will leave a footprint if it starts to stick then is pulled up for repositioning. This is most noticeable when covering your headlight clear plastic lenses.

I know you won't appreciate hearing this but I would consider pulling it off to get to the bottom of . . . what is wrong with that hood surface or mask material ? . . . if it is that noticeable?

Bugs, poop . . . none of these things should require any special removal process or chemical if you use a good 3M product. Most of that stuff usually comes off with the hose alone . . . before I even starting washing.

*** AND *** when you have this installed . . . go over it with a thin . . . very, very thin coat of wax as you are waxing your car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just picked up GT GLS. Mike the installer @ProtecSolutions in Oakville ON replaced clear bra on hood N/C and I added clear bra to bumper coverage. Looks great, great job...now I have some good info to take of paint...NOW thinking of tinting the windows for my Florida trip...275.00 3M premium tint 35%-5 windows: does anyone know of a reputable tint shop in the FT Lauderdale area?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just picked up GT GLS. Mike the installer @ProtecSolutions in Oakville ON replaced clear bra on hood N/C and I added clear bra to bumper coverage. Looks great, great job...now I have some good info to take of paint...NOW thinking of tinting the windows for my Florida trip...275.00 3M premium tint 35%-5 windows: does anyone know of a reputable tint shop in the FT Lauderdale area?
Why Florida? I got 3M Polarized 17% all around for $220 at Krown with a lifetime warranty. Worth shopping around.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Call 954-782-0141 when you get there. Place has been in business since 1974.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THX I spoke to Jim and mentioned your name...he's over-priced 85.00 for 5 windows...wow what a deal. He's quite a character...

·
Registered
150 Posts
$85? Wow. It has come way down over the years. It used to average a bit over a "C"note in the 80's You won't find a better job or higher quality anywhere in the country though. My 85 Monte Carlo SS still has the tint he did when it was new. A bit shabby but still serviceable.

Jim was always a tad eccentric. He would often wear half a beard. Left or right but always had a bevy of "table grade" female assistants. This used to create a group of people waiting for the job to be done instead of just dropping off the car for work and picking it up later.

Next time I get down there I will make it a point to stop by and see him.

·
22,788 Posts
$85 is a steal. That's insanely reasonable. Go now before inflation drives the price up.

·
22,788 Posts
FWIW department: for all the AutoGlym enthusiasts here in Forum Land: PepBoy's website is clearing out 4 AutoGlym products: rubber/vinyl care, car wash shampoo, rapid detailer, and resin polish...ridiculously cheap compared to their regular retail pricing.

Just search "AutoGlym"'on the Pep Boys | Auto Parts Stores | Car Repair & Maintenance website. All 4 products will display.
I've used the Resin Polish (goodbye swirls) and Rapid Detailer. If the other two are as good as these, I'm certain to be impressed. AutoGlym's HD wax speaks for itself, but that's an already well-covered topic on other threads.

Of course, I let you guys know this after I just ordered a stockpile for myself. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts