Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions please on applying a paint sealant and wax to my vehicle. Do you think its overkill? I see some detailing sites that say sealant OR wax
What do you do?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been using Turtle wax Ice for 2 years. This stuff shines well and is a breeze to apply. It beads up rain and water for a long time. Also you do not have the detailing that is necessary with cleaner waxes. It is not expensive but it is the only thing I will be using.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The wax will add an additional sacrificial layer on top of the sealant. It can also add some depth as well as make any flake in the paint stand out. This is Jetseal 109 with Purple Haze over it. After about 24 hours I topped it with Tropical Red Mist. I use the Red Mist for maintenance after washing as well. You really do not need to put wax over the sealant though. What product(s) were you looking at using?
[/url] image by J Marek, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wax will add an additional sacrificial layer on top of the sealant. It can also add some depth as well as make any flake in the paint stand out. This is Jetseal 109 with Purple Haze over it. After about 24 hours I topped it with Tropical Red Mist. I use the Red Mist for maintenance after washing as well. You really do not need to put wax over the sealant though. What product(s) were you looking at using?
[/URL] image by J Marek, on Flickr[/IMG]
Nice pic, chemical guys jetseal 109 looks like a nice product.
I want to apply autoglym high definition wax (picked some up on clearance), it has some stellar reviews here

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a religious Zaino user. If you can find it the stuff is amazing. Try the Z5. It is a polishing wax and sealer in one.

G

·
I'm a chump

I've been buying cars for a lot of years. I never buy the protector packages in the F&I office. Well, this time I did. Not once, but twice within 3 weeks. I feel like a fool. I paid $899 for the package on each vehicle. I know, I know, you guys don't have to tell me. I screwed up LOL.

Anyway, they did the Santa Fe and i swear, the darn vehicle has more water spots now than I've ever had on another car. They claim the product I bought and paid dearly for would prevent this. I'm bringing it back and making them do it again. Every time I touch the paint, i can see my finger or hand prints. And the glass, forget about it. More water spots than ever.

I should have turned this down and just used a few coats of a high quality wax/sealant from the local auto parts big box shop. Someone mentioned turtle wax ICE. I've had great results from that in the past.

Your guys' pictures of your vehicles are stunning. Great shine and shimmer, really amazing. I haven't had the Tuscon treated yet, I'm calling tomorrow to see if I can back out of the deal on this one. I'm guessing this miracle product probably cost the dealer 150 bucks all in, with labor and everything. I can't believe i did this. Grrrrrrr:mad:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks. The Jetseal 109 goes on and comes off very easily which is one thing i really like about it. I've never tried the Z5, but from what I've read, it seems to be a quality product. Whatever sealer you decide on I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. Even at full price that HD wax is worth it. That pot will last you a while.
I've used Collonite 845 off and on for the past 20 years. It is a very good sealer wax that is easy on and off as well. The 109 seemed to darken my black paint up a little bit more than the Collonite did. I initially bought it to seal my headlights after doing a sand and polish. Seems to be holding up well after 3 months. I just reapplied it over the weekend to get another layer on them.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I almost bought the jetseal109 last time I ordered stuff from chemical guys, but I overran my budget.
I believe its around $38 +$13 shipping so its not the cheapest. Saying that if its good stuff its worth it !

·
Registered
176 Posts
As Marek said.

You can wax over a sealant but not vice versa. Unless it's to get a slight difference in gloss or depth there is little protection to gain.

You will have to strip the wax before resealing. Common dish soap will do this or a 50/50 blend of rubbing alcohol/water which is what I use. You should clay and multi step polish with a machine before applying sealant to get the highest level of finish.

There are a lot of good products out there. I generally prefer sealant to wax because typical durability is about 3x. Right now I've been using BlackFire wet Diamond all finish., because of the look and ease of use. I liked Menzerna but they stopped making my favorite, although the powerlock is VERY good.

·
Registered
316 Posts
+1 for Zaino...
Have used it for 2 decades+ on all my cars & m'cycles.
A bit of work the first app, but ez on/off after that.

The 'release' of surface crap when one washes the car, and the long time lasting protection are the features for me.

Everyone will have a fave...YMMV.
GL, mD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts