Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep, my white 2014 SF Sport started flaking it’s paint from the hood soon after they said it was not under warranty. I understand the reason for the limits of warranties, but there’s no doubt it’s a defective product not wear and tear. “Defective” should always be honored and made right. I have zero issues with paint flaking on a 2003 Nissan with over 1000k mile. My SF has 46k. My contact with Hyundai resulted in a form letter that I’m sure they have sent to thousands of paint complaints, which is basically, you’re **** out of luck, now go away. Ok, I’m gone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the exact same issue. Paint is flaking off the hood of my 2017 Pearl White Hyundai Elantra Limited. It started back in Jan 2018. Took it to the dealership and per Service Manager not covered under Paint Warranty due to "outside" influences. Took it another dealership, yes we see this all the time, we will take care of it. Yup, they will fill in the chips but nothing else. Corporate contacted me regarding my less than favorable review and was told they would be back in touch. This type of peeling in my opinion is due to poor quality of primer and/or paint. Self healing my foot

I have the same issue with my Elantra Eco 2017. Paint just starts falling off

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey all - I was hoping for a quick sanity check.

I purchased my 17 Limited (Ulsan) back in May of last year, and the paint already appears to be flaking off the hood. Currently have 10K miles on the clock. I understand that rock chips are unavoidable, but these defects don't look like normal rock chips to me. I have attached 5 examples of this, but there are at least 15 more scattered about the hood. I am not counting the first 10 that I touched up with a Dr ColorChip kit last year either.

Before I start pestering my dealer/Hyundai, I wanted to see what others thought about these. Also, how does the paint look on your AD? Aside from the flaking, I have tons of orange peel and the paint just feels so thin. I love my Elantra, but the paint job feels like the weakest link.

I also have a 2016 Ford Fiesta base - it was the cheapest new car I could buy at the time. The paint on that car is holding up way better than my newer Elantra - despite being older and with more miles on it. It has a few rock chips too, but none of them have exposed bare metal like on the Elantra. The paint on the Fiesta just feels thicker too.

What you have are classic paint chips from anything from stones, road gravel, debris, or road salt. I have my fair share too. I took this car from NY to FL and returned with half a dozen more than the few I had. I don't know if Hyundai paint is softer or more sensitive to chips as my other vehicle also has it's fair share. I kinda feel like its partially due to the aerodynamics of the vehicle but who knows....

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am having the exact same issue. Paint is flaking off the hood of my 2017 Pearl White Hyundai Elantra Limited. It started back in Jan 2018. Took it to the dealership and per Service Manager not covered under Paint Warranty due to "outside" influences. Took it another dealership, yes we see this all the time, we will take care of it. Yup, they will fill in the chips but nothing else. Corporate contacted me regarding my less than favorable review and was told they would be back in touch. This type of peeling in my opinion is due to poor quality of primer and/or paint. Self healing my foot View attachment 443555 View attachment 443556
You've got plenty of normal chips but those big ones look unnatural. Even if one were to argue that it started from a chip, it shouldn't start flaking off like that. I'd definitely pursue all options with the dealer and Hyundai.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts