Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2011 Sonata ltd without nav. The car is great.
The dealer offered me a paint protection package which I declined.
just wondering if I need to go for the paint protection film, Can someone advise?
Details of Paint protection
3M - Scatchgard film on full vehicle
Any dents and dints will be repaired by dealer for free as part of warranty
Any damage to seats will be covered under warranty

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I am looking for someone in my area that offers the 3M clear protection. Well worth it. Hyundai's paint isn't as good as their TV commercials make it seem.

This weekend I spent 5 hours applying a 7 stage Zaino detailing job to the body of my Sonata and there are tons of imperfections on a lot of body panels. Also my 2010 Tucson had 3k miles on it and had a bunch of stone chips. My 2003 GS300 which I had for about 3 years had no where nearly as many stone chips and I have been driving the same roads for 5 years.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is the nominal charge for this kind of paint protection, also how do we check if the dealers really did something, do they provide any kind of documentation?

B

·
0 Posts
My guess is that the 'paint protection' is, at least on the nose/hood of the car, some plastic 3M film they apply. It's very much like any automotive sticker, except it's clear. You can buy kits of this film, pre-cut for tons of cars (don't know about the '11 Sonata yet) off *bay and other places.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (Sethu @ Dec 7 2010, 09:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377764
What is the nominal charge for this kind of paint protection, also how do we check if the dealers really did something, do they provide any kind of documentation?
You would see it. It is clear film applied to the front. It doesn't really stand out, but if you over the car you can't miss it.

I am sure the dealer tacks on a ton of cash on top of what their vendor charges them to install. From what I have read 3M offers a lifetime warranty against discoloring, but other companies (like sellers on eBay) only offer a year warranty.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting, my dealer is quoting $525 and a local detailing shop is quoting $975, not sure why there is a huge difference.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My Tint dealer showed me LLlumar (I think) paint protect film BUT found that SunTek makes a film that allows lower $$.

Research as you wish but the labor will be a big part of the cost. With the amount of curves on the Sonata front I wouldn't attempt it at all.

I was interested in the Front Area Only and it may have been in the $270 range with the SunTek film - will dbl chk as these posts have me interested again.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Joeeey @ Dec 7 2010, 08:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377763
I am looking for someone in my area that offers the 3M clear protection. Well worth it. Hyundai's paint isn't as good as their TV commercials make it seem.

This weekend I spent 5 hours applying a 7 stage Zaino detailing job to the body of my Sonata and there are tons of imperfections on a lot of body panels. Also my 2010 Tucson had 3k miles on it and had a bunch of stone chips. My 2003 GS300 which I had for about 3 years had no where nearly as many stone chips and I have been driving the same roads for 5 years.
Its not just Hyundai. Go check Ford, Chevy, Toyota....

They have changed paint formulas due to the EPA and crap like that. Its all water based. The days of ANY car companies paint sticking well...is...well gone. Guy here just got a new Bimmer and I swear I see orange peel across the rear quarter. Companies are just skimping to get to the profit. Insert company name here...

I had 3M film on my Maxima and LOVED it. I would recommend it to anybody that can afford it. Its a piece of mind.

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Dec 8 2010, 08:28 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377832
Its not just Hyundai. Go check Ford, Chevy, Toyota....

They have changed paint formulas due to the EPA and crap like that. Its all water based. The days of ANY car companies paint sticking well...is...well gone. Guy here just got a new Bimmer and I swear I see orange peel across the rear quarter. Companies are just skimping to get to the profit. Insert company name here...

I had 3M film on my Maxima and LOVED it. I would recommend it to anybody that can afford it. Its a piece of mind.
I concur.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Bearcats, how noticeable are rock dings after enough use. I'm guessing you couldn't have loved it were that an issue - but now is the time to ask this.

And / Or Is there any cosmetic "filler" to use [if the film shows dings] that makes it look clear again?

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (CraigS26 @ Dec 8 2010, 09:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377849
Bearcats, how noticeable are rock dings after enough use. I'm guessing you couldn't have loved it were that an issue - but now is the time to ask this.

And / Or Is there any cosmetic "filler" to use [if the film shows dings] that makes it look clear again?
Look at it this way. I took a rock off the hood on the highway, bounced off the hood and slammed into the windshield and cracked it to the point of needing replacement (windshield). There was dent in the hood and an ever so slight tear in the 3m but the paint was not damaged. The dent in the hood was in a spot that PDR was able to smooth it most of the way back out.

It will show age eventually. I got about 6-7 years before you could start noticing it. I am unaware of fillers to help. I did wax it along with the car. Not sure you would notice rock dings as the sheet has "some" give to it. Not really sure how to answer that question.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Warning: Don't try this at home.
Those kits you see on ebay and elsewhere are useless. This protection must be applied by a professional.
But don't take my word on it. Watch an installation to see how much experience is needed to apply correctly.
I had 3M installed on my G35 in 2006 by a professional in my neighborhood (in his garage). Dealers charge a lot more because they call a guy like this to do the work,
and then add on the extra $$$ for their profit.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
QUOTE (Mr.Wonderful @ Dec 8 2010, 10:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377859
Those kits you see on ebay and elsewhere are useless. This protection must be applied by a professional.
But don't take my word on it. Watch an installation to see how much experience is needed to apply correctly.
I had 3M installed on my G35 in 2006 by a professional in my neighborhood (in his garage). Dealers charge a lot more because they call a guy like this to do the work,

+1

·
Registered
854 Posts
QUOTE (Mr.Wonderful @ Dec 8 2010, 10:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377859

Dealers also send their work out if they don't have their own body shop and add money for their profit. Shame people think the dealer is the best place to go just because they are the dealer. Little do they know they aren't super human!

B

·
0 Posts
QUOTE (Mr.Wonderful @ Dec 8 2010, 08:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377859
My experience with a home-install kit for our Mazda is exactly the opposite of your statement. It is not at all difficult to get the identical 3M material under discussion here, or any of a number of alternatives such as have also been discussed. I do agree that it might take you more than one attempt (more than one kit might be wise your first time) to do the job as well as the shops do, but even expensive home kits with expensive film are extremely inexpensive compared to, for example, the $1,200 quoted by one dealership, above.

I heartily agree that some people will find it worthwhile to pay someone else to do the installation, and I think that is perfectly fine. At the same time, I see no reason to put willing DIY-ers off by claiming impossibility of doing things correctly on your own. If you don't want to attempt it yourself, then by all means hire someone to do it. If you're interested in trying it yourself, then by all means do a little homework on the various films available, buy a kit or three, and install it. Even if you can pick out small-ish flaws in your own work, you'll do a heck of a lot better job on your next car (or when you re-apply in a few years)!

·
Registered
486 Posts
QUOTE (Bearcats @ Dec 8 2010, 08:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=377850
Look at it this way. I took a rock off the hood on the highway, bounced off the hood and slammed into the windshield and cracked it to the point of needing replacement (windshield). There was dent in the hood and an ever so slight tear in the 3m but the paint was not damaged. The dent in the hood was in a spot that PDR was able to smooth it most of the way back out.

It will show age eventually. I got about 6-7 years before you could start noticing it. I am unaware of fillers to help. I did wax it along with the car. Not sure you would notice rock dings as the sheet has "some" give to it. Not really sure how to answer that question.

Thanks for that. I was guessing at what to ask but I've got a better feel for this now. I'll post anything I learn when I go to an installer to research this further.

Edit 12/10/10: My FormulaOne 35 Tint guy like a new Polyurethane Film by Llumar BUT the job for Bumper/Hood/R-view Mirrors is $600+ AS WAS a 2nd Quote at $600. TOO much for me. Llumar = 5 Yr warranty that he says is intended more for Yellowing issues than Physical Damage. Recommended Plastic Polish to help prevent Oxidation of the Film.

There is a Poly-Vinyl that's about $60 Material Cost Vs. $300 for the PolyU and he figured 6 HOURS Labor. I'll be interested in seeing Future Quotes IF Polyurethane is Involved. He mentioned something about an Orange-peel effect on (I think) 3-M Vs. the new Llumar not having it, and I'm wondering if anyone has heard that, too.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just got a new 2012 Sonata and am looking at getting this done. Priced out at around $800 but I've since learned there is more that they can do so it will likely go up a bit.

I've attached a PDF which shows the extent of what they can cover with 3M.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got the hood,fender,mirros, and bumper for $500 in california. Anything over 600 is overprice in my opinion. It was 3m clear and it works!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts