Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone out there has had problems with their paint? I have a 2008 silver GT and last summer, I noticed a weird spotting on my trunk lid. It kinda resembled water marks - lighter in color than the silver. After trying to wash them off, I realized that it was a problem with the paint itself, not dirt.

After taking it in to the dealership, they denied any responsibility and said that I must have done something - either cleaned the car incorrectly, or not good enough. Interesting how I ONLY neglected the trunk lid. I also had had to get one side of my car repainted after an accident, and they said that the spotting must be a result of overspray. Again, interesting how the supposed overspray only affect the trunk and magically appeared underneath the spoiler. After fighting with the dealership for months and not even being allowed an audience with the general manager (never returned any phone calls or messages), I ended up going to an autobody shop to get the trunk repainted on my own dime. The shop took photographs of the trunk as they stripped the factory paint and revealed that the issue was some sort of chemical degradation that came from below the base coat. I am not technically inclined but I reported this again to the dealership, with photos, and absolutely nothing was done. Again. They still deny any responsibility. Well, I'm denying them from ever servicing my vehicle again, and I think this will be the last Hyundai I buy. I love my car, but this atrocious service has me at wit's end. Unfortunately, I'm the only person I know with this problem, so I decided to join this forum to see if any of you have experienced a similar issue and what you did about it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Based upon previous posts issues with local Dealerships are often resolved by going above them and Contacting Hyundai support directly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! I was actually going to post something very similar to this paint problem. I recently bought a sky blue 2007 Hyundai Tiburon that I love! Although, I have noticed a few minor problems which is what you get when you buy a used car. The paint on the spoiler looks odd. It looks almost like like water marks on it. I can tell the clear coat has faded. I live in Florida I'm going to expect the paint to fade eventually in the sun down here. I was just wondering what I should do about the spoiler. Get it repainted when it looks REALLY bad or just get it down sooner than later. Where should I go? Should I dare go to a Hyundai dealership or find some small little car paintshop? I'd like to know everyones opinion. The car is only 3 years old, I know I shouldn't even have to be worrying about new paintjobs but it does look kinda bad.

Also, the other small issue is my headlights. Is there anyone out there with a strange haze on their headlights? I brought it to Hyundai and they told me it was damage from the sun. Again, I live in Florida, the sun is killer here. They said they could buff it out for $80. I think I'm just going to do it. Just curious if anyone out there has this problem.

·
Registered
17,553 Posts
DESCRIPTION:
This TSB updates TSB 00-99-001.
Hyundai applies a Paint Protection Film (PPF) on new vehicles before delivery to dealerships. It provides a barrier between the paint and contaminants such as rail dust, acid rain, and industrial fallout. In rare cases the paint can become clouded under the PPF. These spots are the result of moisture trapped between the PPF and the paint.

CLOUDED PAINT SPOT REMOVAL PROCEDURE:
1. Remove all PPF from vehicle.

2. Clean the vehicle. If the spots are still visible, use an infrared light, similar to the type used in a body shop, to heat the affected area. Most infrared lights can be set up about 2 feet from the paint surface to achieve a hot surface temperature,
depending on the heat output. Do not let the paint temperature exceed 180oF. Be careful not to allow nearby trim to overheat (above 180oF).

3. Allow the infrared light to heat the vehicle for a minimum of 15 minutes, a maximum of 3 hours. Check the vehicle every 15 minutes to ensure it is not overly hot. You should be able to briefly touch the heated area, but it should be uncomfortably hot.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
Small spots can be removed with a heat gun. Hold the heat gun about 12-18 inches from the spot, keeping it moving. Do not let the paint temperature exceed180oF. Heating for 10 to 15 minutes should remove the spot. If the spot persists after 15
minutes, switch to the procedure mentioned above.

Wiping the spot with undiluted alcohol will accelerate the drying. Wipe a rag with the alcohol across the area before heating. Do not apply cool alcohol to a heated panel, or while heat is being applied.

CAUTION 1: Use the proper precautions when using alcohol near a heat source.

CAUTION 2: During heating, anti corrosive wax used on the back side of the metal panels may liquefy. Some may drain out of the drain holes.

WARRANTY INFORMATION:
PPF removal is part of Pre-Delivery inspection (PDI). No warranty applies for normal PPF removal.

If clouded paint spots are present, submit the appropriate paint warranty claim, using the paint Cause and Nature code P22.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a Black SE and the day I purchased my car, it was covered in water spots. I told the sales rep I wasn't leaving the lot with the car like that and he proceeded to polish and wax the car himself. It looked good as I drove away however, that was only 4 months ago and already I'm seeing fade in the clear coat on both the hood and trunk lid. I'm frankly a bit annoyed with that as it appears the sales rep polished through the clear coat. Since I have had the car, it's been hand washed twice, once by the dealer, and I've taken it to two car washes. The rest of the time I only power wash with soapy water in between because I'm afraid of making it worse; so it couldn't have happened since I've owned it. To be honest, I did *not* want a black car for this *very reason* however the dealer insisted it was my only choice.

Has anyone else noticed any excessive fading or scratching of the clear coat?

P.S. Sorry, I'm not trying to tread jack you, but this seems to be relevant to the thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh no worries about tread jacking me! Haha. I actually was researching fading gas cap covers on tiburons today and this link came up! I forgot I had posted that over the summer about my spoiler.
I noticed today a tiny part of my gas cover dulling out. UGH! That's exactly how the spoiler looked too from the start! At least with the gas cap cover it's available to buy online. I'm going to buy the metallic one probably around Christmas time. I'm actually currently waiting for my spoiler from a local auto body shop by my house. I went ahead and did it. It was bothering me a lot! The grand total only came to $196 which included labor. Let's see how this looks =p BTW I'm sorry about your car and the awful fading clear coat. What year is it? Whenever I'm in the parking lot and I spot a tiburon I HAVE to look at the paint on it. I'm obsessed now. It's ridiculous how often I see that god awful fading paint look on just about every one I spot. As soon as I pay off this car, I'm probably going to sell it and NOT get anything hyundai/kia related. They don't have very high quality paint for their cars. It sucks.

QUOTE (Doc_V @ Aug 4 2010, 04:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347169
I have a Black SE and the day I purchased my car, it was covered in water spots. I told the sales rep I wasn't leaving the lot with the car like that and he proceeded to polish and wax the car himself. It looked good as I drove away however, that was only 4 months ago and already I'm seeing fade in the clear coat on both the hood and trunk lid. I'm frankly a bit annoyed with that as it appears the sales rep polished through the clear coat. Since I have had the car, it's been hand washed twice, once by the dealer, and I've taken it to two car washes. The rest of the time I only power wash with soapy water in between because I'm afraid of making it worse; so it couldn't have happened since I've owned it. To be honest, I did *not* want a black car for this *very reason* however the dealer insisted it was my only choice.

Has anyone else noticed any excessive fading or scratching of the clear coat?

P.S. Sorry, I'm not trying to tread jack you, but this seems to be relevant to the thread.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just recently bought a 2004 Tiburon and have noticed the top of my spoiler and a few area's on the trunk are "spotted". It looks like crap if you get up close but from a few ft away, you can't even notice it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have all those problems and I bought my Hyundai Elantra GT brand new in 2004 and paid an extra $500.00 dollars for more paint, supposedly it would have made the paint last longer, I moved six years ago from an apartment with a garage and my car's been on the street, by the way I live in Wisconsin. A few years ago I started to notice what looked like water spots that just got worse over time and my headlights look faded as **** too, this make me so **** mad because I see cars 20 years old and the paint looks better than my 13 year old car!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My paint color is xx metallic blue and the mirrors have lost their paint entirely and spoiler is fading bad. The car itself looks fine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts