Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a while back that paint had started to peel (or might be the clear coat) from the back louvre on my car. Started bubbling in a way and then flaking off. Of course this is after the 3 year warranty on paint and the dealership said not covered. Now I am seeing the same thing happening on my driver side mirror. It is like the gloss is coming off and the kinda foggy paint underneath is being exposed.

Anyone else have this issue? Seem really early in the life of the car for this to happen.

I keep the car clean, and have had it hand waxed at the 2 year mark.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Hyundai paint was unutterably awful up until just a few years ago so clearcoat failure on cars (even those well cared for) was practically certain. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it short of a repaint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice to know I'm not alone. My 05 Elentra had this same paint issue start last year. The spoiler at this point looks like 80% of the clear coat is gone, and like someone took a sharp object and did connect the dots when all the little bubbles where still there. And the mirrors look like someone peeling from sunburn.

Can't say I'm very happy, but since it's not covered, I take there is nothing I can do other than get it repainted at some point?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Dude, you are certainly not alone. lovemysantafe is right, hyundai paint stuck to metal pretty well, but any of the plastic parts still having clearcoat on them after about 5 years is impossible. I even took my 2000 Elantra wagon to Ernest Angely. I mean, I guess it's kewl that Grandad can walk again & his cancer is cured but it didn't do a god damned thing for my bumpers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (hatesmith @ Jul 1 2010, 10:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=337787
Dude, you are certainly not alone. lovemysantafe is right, hyundai paint stuck to metal pretty well, but any of the plastic parts still having clearcoat on them after about 5 years is impossible. I even took my 2000 Elantra wagon to Ernest Angely. I mean, I guess it's kewl that Grandad can walk again & his cancer is cured but it didn't do a god damned thing for my bumpers.
man that's funny! is Ernest still alive?! If so, that PROVES he's got God on his side! He was old fart back in 1980 when I saw him on TV and such!! hahahaha

So I take it no one ever had any luck getting their Dealer to fix this paint issue as a resolution to a customer service problem, as in it gives them a bad rap?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts