Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shortly after purchasing my new 2010 SantaFe, I notice several places where the paint was chipped. I purchased a paint pin from the dealer to touch up the flaws.

About 3 months ago, a rock hit the hood of my car while on the interstate. It barely chipped the paint. However, each time I washed the car, the spot became bigger. Last month, I noticed the paint cracking all around the spot. Realizing that when the cracked sections of paint come off, the spot will be the size of a an orange, I took it to the dealer. They could not paint it at the time but told me to bring it back the follwing week.

It was not convenient, so I took the car to a local body shop. I was told he paint was of very poor quality and that I should file a complaint with Hyundai. The appraiser said the paint is turning loose from the ecoat, and the spot where the original rock hit the car is beginning to rust. He said there's no way a small ding should cause the paint to flake off down to the metal.

The entire hood has to be removed, stripped, and repainted for a cost of $450. Furthermore, additional 'dings' were found on the car and on the roof that will likely cause cracking and repainting in the near future.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Well, I would definitely bring it up with the dealer, but at the same time I can't say you should expect results. A rock chip is not likely to be covered no matter what the consequences since it's entirely out of their control.

Also, the warranty on paint is 3 yrs or 36,000 miles whichever comes first, so you're likely pushing that limit if not beyond it already.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I own a 2009 Santa Fe that needed a windshield replacement. The installer placed two strips of tape from the glass to the roof. Removed the tape 24 hrs later and along with the tape came the paint - two big strips of it. The installer claimed it was a defective paint job, Hyundai claimed it was the installer's fault. The installer had to pay to have the entire roof painted - about $1100 (I believe). I still believe it was a defective paint job.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I took the car to a local body shop. I was told he paint was of very poor quality and that I should file a complaint with Hyundai.
Worked in the car business I noticed that very few body shop employees have a PhD in Automotive Paint Chemistry. What they do have is a long list of personal biases which they tend to share with anyone who will listen.

My personal bias is that the Santa Fe lost 20% of its quality when assembly moved from Hyundai Alabama to Kia Georgia in 2010. (My 2008 had impervious paint.) But that is neither here nor there. The bottom line is that impact damage is never covered under warranty, except for the 1% who complain loudly enough to get a free repair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts