Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody experienced faded paint on their side view mirrors? My truck is merlot (i don't know what hyundai calls the actual color). I was thinking of painting them over myself. I know how to remove the mirrors from the car but how involved is it to disassembe the mirror components? Anything fragile that can snap easily that I need to be worried about? Does anyone have any experience with this as far as how to properly prep? Any good places to buy spray paint that will match factory color?
I am also noticing paint fade around the door handles too. How hard would it be to remove and paint those? Does the chrome door handle come off easity from the rest of the handle assembly or is it riveted on? Looks like the clear coat is cracking. I guess it shouldn't be unexpected since I have been driving the car around for almost 9 years and it is not garage kept.
Any useful info would be greatly appreciated.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Paint on the older Santa Fe's is pretty terrible. My '04 has been garaged and absolutely babied since new (no automatic car washes) and the clearcoat is peeling off my driver's side cladding. :(

I believe that the mirror is held on by two bolts hidden behind the tweeter above the interior door panel but I'm not 100% sure. I'll check later tonight. You might want to see how much a body shop would charge to shoot the mirrors properly. They're small pieces; I can't see it costing much more than $100 for both.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought the paint and clear coat. I'm about to re-paint the sun faded exterior door handle bezels and mirrors. Strange that they fade before the rest of the car.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Has anybody experienced faded paint on their side view mirrors? My truck is merlot (i don't know what hyundai calls the actual color). I was thinking of painting them over myself. I know how to remove the mirrors from the car but how involved is it to disassembe the mirror components? Anything fragile that can snap easily that I need to be worried about? Does anyone have any experience with this as far as how to properly prep? Any good places to buy spray paint that will match factory color?
I am also noticing paint fade around the door handles too. How hard would it be to remove and paint those? Does the chrome door handle come off easity from the rest of the handle assembly or is it riveted on? Looks like the clear coat is cracking. I guess it shouldn't be unexpected since I have been driving the car around for almost 9 years and it is not garage kept.
Any useful info would be greatly appreciated.
First of all if the paint is faded then that means the clear coat laquer has worn through, as that covers the base coat, if your door is cracking then it means that it's been done before bad, needs to be done professionally as the whole door needs base coat and then 2 pack clear laquer, 2 minute job to take the door handle off, open the door look inside by the handle 10ml bolt loosen pull the handle back, slide the handle towards the back of the car, wrapp some tape around the parts sticking out so they don't fall inside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts