Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Did a search for this topic and found lots of info about paint chips at the point of the tailight, but nothing specifically relating to my problem...

Bought the wife's 2013 Elantra GL in March, it is North American built, and has only 4500 kms on it. Last week we noticed a couple cracks in the paint and it looks like the paint it wrinkling and therefore opening up at the crack. Both cracks are located in the exact same position on either side of the car, and the exact same. They are on the plastic bumper cover, where the bumper meets the quarter panel and tailight. Since the paint has migrated back, you can clearly see the black plastic underneath. Sent a text message to my service rep and he said it should be no problem to get it covered under warranty. Now, just need to make the time to get the car into the dealer...

Anyone else experience this, or heard of this before? Picture of the drivers side:

PaintPeeeling_July-28-2013.jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention... I talked to a friend who does autobody for a living. He didnt see the car, but seemed to think it was a fitment issue with the bumper cover. After examining the gap between the bumper and quarter panel, I would tend to agree with him.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Forgot to mention... I talked to a friend who does autobody for a living. He didnt see the car, but seemed to think it was a fitment issue with the bumper cover. After examining the gap between the bumper and quarter panel, I would tend to agree with him.
I would also agree 100% with him. That is WAY to snug at the top there and looks like when they put or "forced" the bumper cover on there it didn't agree with them and the paint gave out. I'm glad they are going to work with you. Sounds like you have a good dealership up there!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Hey we see your face on the taillight ;) it looks like a fitment issue like your friend told you. I've seen this on other make like Mazda 3, that's why the Mazda rust in those areas. Often the bumper is too close to the body and there is friction between the two.

·
22,793 Posts
Hey we see your face on the taillight ;)
That's the new retro chic op art that's sweeping the smart phone nation! ;)

This is not a new issue to the assy process. In 2011, some taillights were mounted a bit too closely to the bumper seams, causing paint wear. It may also have been attributed to improper alignment and fitment of the adjoining components. As far as I know, they were corrected by a simple visit to the dealer. Warranty programs are your friend, most times-sometimes. I'm not opening that can of worms, however. ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
*UPDATE* So today I met the wife for lunch, swapped cars and popped into the dealer. The service advisor bays were lined up out both doors... However, the service rep came out to the car in parking lot, snapped a few pics of both sides, the ODO and the VIN plate on the B-pillar, printed off the paperwork and I signed it and was back on the road in under 10 minutes. Now the waiting game for corporate to allow/disallow the claim.

Since the dealer does not do any bodywork, he said the car will be sent to a third party body shop. He said I would get the option of taking it to any body shop I want, or if I have no preference, they would chose from one of two companies they deal with (based on availability). Both names he mentioned are very reputable shops! I guess I will have to do a quick Google search and ask around on social media to make a decision of which shop I would like to do the work...

·
Registered
30 Posts
i had the same problem with mine... gave me a loaner car and was about a week wait but they got it fixed... the service manager said that he has seen it before and they will fix it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got the phone call from the dealership... Hyundai has approved the warranty claim and the car is booked for August 26th. Bodyshop said they will need the car all day and over night, but we can pick it up the next day! Unfortunately, they will not cover a rental/loaner for paint warranties...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just got home from work and after I got out of my car, in the corner of my eye. I saw the same thing. Driver side tail light, rear quarter panel and bumper join. Ill call dealership Tuesday and see whats up. Car ODM has 2100 miles as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Overdue Update:

The car was painted on August 26th and returned to me on August 27th. Paint looks good and we are pretty happy with it. Everyone agreed it looked like a factory fitment issue, and the body shop was to shim the bumper into correct alignment. They did a bit, but I'm not 100% convinced the COMPLETELY fixed the problem. That being said, the dealer told me there would now be a lifetime warranty on the rear bumper paint for as long as we own the car. So, if it needs paint and more adjustments again in the future, it will be covered no matter how much time has passed. (Why do I feel that it wont be as easy as they say...)

Sistum: Your's looks exactly like mine, so I hope your claim goes as smoothly as mine! Remember to tell them you want the fitment corrected and not just re-sprayed!

·
22,793 Posts
Good point, makes no sense fixing the cosmetics if the cause hasn't been corrected. It'll just rear its ugly head down the road at a later date. If they can't do it correctly, then don't let them do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts