Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

We purchased a Palisade one week ago on Friday Aug 2nd. Over the weekend while driving on the highway we noticed a very obvious shake and low sounding rumble as though we were driving on the rumble strip. The vibration begins at 65 mph and continues on through 73 mph. It can be felt in the wheel and in all of the seats. By the time you reach 80 mph it isn't really noticeable. It went into the dealers shop this past Tuesday. They had it in the shop on Tuesday morning and balanced the tires. It changed nothing in the vibration so I brought it back in. A dealer mechanic drove with us and confirmed the vibration at highway speeds. They had it all week and opened a case with Hyundai. They were told by Hyundai corporate to measure the runout of the driveshaft and said it was normal. They were instructed by Hyundai to replace the rear tires and they stated they were out of round from being strapped down during transport from South Korea. Got it back late this afternoon and the vibration/rumble is still present.

I'm putting this out there so others who experience this issue might realize it's not an isolated issue. Another poster on here said he test drove two Palisades and they both exhibited the exact same vibration at the same speeds. The dealer told him they had to replace the axles of both Palisades. When I mentioned this to our dealer's shop the manager stated he can't go by what's on the web. This has been very frustrating, purchasing a new vehicle and unable to drive it for the first week.

I hope others have better luck. This one is going back to the shop first thing Monday morning. They have one more attempt to fix this at the dealer and then I need to contact Hyundai Corporate notifying them and allow them one final chance before this can go to arbitration for the lemon law. I'm hoping they can fix this and it won't have to go that far.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
You don't get to dictate the terms of the lemon law to the manufacturer. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't get to dictate the terms of the lemon law to the manufacturer. Good luck with that.
I know the lemon law in my state and I stated the terms. I never said I was dictating the lemon law to the manufacturer. I've seen your other posts you seem very argumentative and not helpful. I'm not sure what your motive is. I posted so others might be aware of an issue. No need for you to post useless comments.

Might good to heed this advice from the moderators here:
'Dear member "grcauto"
Our Admin has been receiving many complaints regarding your posts on all of our forum, being rude, & un-informative.
We are now issuing a formal final warning to you to cease such postings & be respectful to other members.
Thank you for your cooperation.
On behalf of all moderators. '

·
Registered
25 Posts
Keep us posted on the results! I'll now be watching our palisade at highway speeds, hopefully Hyundai will step up and do the right thing. They were really good to me in swapping out the engine for my 2013 Sonata.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

We purchased a Palisade one week ago on Friday Aug 2nd. Over the weekend while driving on the highway we noticed a very obvious shake and low sounding rumble as though we were driving on the rumble strip. The vibration begins at 65 mph and continues on through 73 mph. It can be felt in the wheel and in all of the seats. By the time you reach 80 mph it isn't really noticeable. It went into the dealers shop this past Tuesday. They had it in the shop on Tuesday morning and balanced the tires. It changed nothing in the vibration so I brought it back in. A dealer mechanic drove with us and confirmed the vibration at highway speeds. They had it all week and opened a case with Hyundai. They were told by Hyundai corporate to measure the runout of the driveshaft and said it was normal. They were instructed by Hyundai to replace the rear tires and they stated they were out of round from being strapped down during transport from South Korea. Got it back late this afternoon and the vibration/rumble is still present.

I'm putting this out there so others who experience this issue might realize it's not an isolated issue. Another poster on here said he test drove two Palisades and they both exhibited the exact same vibration at the same speeds. The dealer told him they had to replace the axles of both Palisades. When I mentioned this to our dealer's shop the manager stated he can't go by what's on the web. This has been very frustrating, purchasing a new vehicle and unable to drive it for the first week.

I hope others have better luck. This one is going back to the shop first thing Monday morning. They have one more attempt to fix this at the dealer and then I need to contact Hyundai Corporate notifying them and allow them one final chance before this can go to arbitration for the lemon law. I'm hoping they can fix this and it won't have to go that far.
I had a problem with a rumble /vibration on my 2019 Santa Fe. The dealer checked the wheel balance but problem persisted. Brought it back and they determined it was a bad front tire. They replaced the tire and vibration went away. Hankook tires came with the vehicle. Maybe they need to replace the front tires too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a problem with a rumble /vibration on my 2019 Santa Fe. The dealer checked the wheel balance but problem persisted. Brought it back and they determined it was a bad front tire. They replaced the tire and vibration went away. Hankook tires came with the vehicle. Maybe they need to replace the front tires too.
Thanks for the replies all. The car is going back in the shop on next Tuesday and they will have a Hyundai corporate tech there to look at it.

@[email protected], I'm not sure why they didn't replace all four tires. It would have given a fairly cheap sanity check to ensure it wasn't a tire issue.

I'll post back once the Hyundai tech has a reply.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just a thought. Have you or the dealership checked the front end alignment? If the car was driven prior to your purchase it might have been knocked out of alignment. I have had a similar experience in the past with another vehicle and this was the solution. I am an owner of a Palisade Limited AWD with currently 2300 miles on it and I have not experienced any difficulties with this vehicle..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi,
The dealer replaced the front tires, that didn't fix it. Then the Hyundai tech told them to replace the main drive shaft, which is odd because during the first drop off two weeks ago they told me they measured the run out on it and told me it was well within Hyundai's specs. We drove it this morning and it was much better but still mildly noticeable between 68-72. We told the tech that it was much better, probably 80% better but was still present. We then spoke to the manager and they are going to speak with Hyundai. When we first noticed the issue in our car we had driven a second Palisade they had on the lot with their head of tech and the tech said it had the same issue as ours but not as severe. We noticed it in that vehicle as well. The dealer is contacting Hyundai corporate to see what they are going to do. I have had to take vacation time from work to deal with this issue with the car being in and out of the shop four times now so I'm hoping they can replace it with one that doesn't have the issue. Will keep this thread posted with updates.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow, that is a lot of trouble to endure, my hat is off to you for maintaining a positive attitude during this time of annoyance. It is peculiar that two vehicles at the same dealer would have similar problems. Don't settle for less than total satisfaction. Hopefully the matter will be soon resolved and your life will return to normalcy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One added point when we spoke to the sales manager. He told us that he hadn't had any issues with the other two Palisades on their lot. I told him the Limited you have out on the lot with the sold sign in the window has the exact same issue and was identified by HIS head tech when we drove it with him to compare to our vehicle. He was conspicuously silent after that comment. They sold a brand new vehicle which the head tech knew had a drive train vibration issue. Either their tech didn't communicate the issue to the manager or the manager ignored the message from the tech. In either case the behavior is outright criminal. I have aslo been in touch with Hyundai corporate customer service and waiting to hear back today. I have told them we don't want this vehicle back. At this point we have picked it up three times from them. The first two times I was told the issue was resolved and that they had test driven it. There was absolutely no change in the vibration. The third time we picked it up after the drive shaft replacement we saw that they had put 100 miles on it. That's one heck of a test drive, however though the vibration was much improved it was not completely gone. It still occurred between 68 and 72. This exact same issue is very prevalent over on the Telluride forum. I believe the Telluride came out a month or so before the Palisade so I think it is a just matter of time before this becomes more prevalent on the Hyundai forums.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sad to read of the duplicity of that particular Hyundai dealership. Hopeful that the matter is resolved in accordance with your desire. I would encourage you to try another dealership, many of us on this forum have not experienced this issue and therefore I do not believe it a universal problem. Thanks for sharing your struggle with us as a learning experience for us all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi @RSchleder, Hyundai has agreed to do a buy back of our vehicle. I have submitted all of the documentation to our Hyundai rep and we are waiting for her to contact us with a buy back figure. Based on what we have read it should be the price of the car, dealer and registration fees, and taxes less a fractional amount base on milage and the expected lifetime milage of the vehicle 120-150k miles and not on depreciation. I'll update back here once this is resolved.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts