Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a BMW and it does this if you haven't shifted in like 15-20 seconds (I assume depending on what input the transmission is getting)--unless you move the gearshift to the left in manual mode. Then it will hold the manual gear.
That... sounds like poor design. If I manually select a gear, the car **** well better stay in it.

·
Registered
2020 SF Ultimate
55 Posts
I have a Ford with paddle shifters and it has 2 modes.
While driving in D you can change gears with paddle shifters at any time but if the vehicle detects engine revs too high [in red] or too low [risk of stalling] it will override your gear selection and either up- or down-shift.
You can also put vehicle in true manual mode where gears stay at what you selected them.
I believe it works the same in European Hyundais.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
435 Posts
That... sounds like poor design. If I manually select a gear, the car **** well better stay in it.
It is not. There are 2 options--the brief switch to manual mode by pulling the paddle shifters. OR actually putting the transmission in manual mode, and then the car will hold the gear and not switch back to auto mode.

·
Registered
2019, Santa Fe Ultimate, 2.4, AWD, Machine Gray
24 Posts
Kyrolee . . I, too, am interested in your project. I've attached a couple of pages from the Santa Fe repair manual that you may find useful. The first picture on the first page is referring to a previous section that was dealing with power steering alignment. Probably not of value in your effort. It's interesting to note that there are instructions that talk about non-paddle shifter wheels, as well as, one with the shifters. I hope this helps. I look forward to your installation pictures and comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Good morning everybody, I hope all of you are safe!!! I finished this project today, not many pictures to be honest because I was concentrated in all the details and forgot to take more pictures. I can explain in general how was the process to retrofit the paddle shifters because the SF american model doesn’t have the wires installed in the clock spring for the shifters, but the pins are available. I connected the paddles with the gear selector, so the shifters work just when I switch to manual mode. I’ll be writing here the DIY instructions in a few hours. It took me about 2 hours to do everything, but mostly because I was being really picky with the installation.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
See post #2 😄
Yeah, you were right. The model that is sold in Europe, Korea, and Australia comes with paddle shifters and they are connected directly to the ECM. I saw the diagram in our model and I could do the same but at the end, it was easier to do it to the gear selector

·
Registered
2019 Ultimate 2.0t AWD
152 Posts
Could you post a link to where you purchased them, and then also pictures of them?

Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T HTRAC
567 Posts
Yeah, you were right. The model that is sold in Europe, Korea, and Australia comes with paddle shifters and they are connected directly to the ECM. I saw the diagram in our model and I could do the same but at the end, it was easier to do it to the gear selector
You did the right thing by not spending the effort to wire to the ECM. The software version will probably not support it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning everybody, I hope all of you are safe!!! I finished this project today, not many pictures to be honest because I was concentrated in all the details and forgot to take more pictures. I can explain in general how was the process to retrofit the paddle shifters because the SF american model doesn’t have the wires installed in the clock spring for the shifters, but the pins are available. I connected the paddles with the gear selector, so the shifters work just when I switch to manual mode. I’ll be writing here the DIY instructions in a few hours. It took me about 2 hours to do everything, but mostly because I was being really picky with the installation.
Waiting for installation guide

21 - 31 of 31 Posts