Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help, I've had it. Did Hyundai order the cheapest part possible for this?

It's almost like clock work, Tonight is the 3rd time the paddle shifters have stopped working, on my 2012 2.0. It averages about 6 months for them to go bad! Car has 13,000 miles

I do use them just about every day, Can anyone else who has had this problem help me deal with the dealership? Last time I told them if this happens again, I want this issue resolved and not have to come in here every 6 months until my 5 year warranty is up.

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas? What good is it to pay for a 2.0, have paddle shifters and they flat out will break after 6 months w/ daily use? After the 5 year warranty then what? Honestly I have yet to go to a Hyundai service dealership that gave one rats azz as far as giving good service in my NY/NJ area. Very SAD!

Sorry to rant, but thanks to all on the forum for your feedback!!!!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
My 2011 is chugging along at 20K, but I rarely use the paddles. Other than the left pull the #1 radio preset button used to stick on occasions.

Mine still needs power passenger seat controls, so short folks don't feel as if they're sitting in a well, & a bona fide limited slip posi-trac though everything has continued to function.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'm sure there still good because you hardly ever use them. they "seem" to fail if you actually use them, funny, is that not why something is on a car, to use ?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Thanks, I'm sure there still good because you hardly ever use them. they "seem" to fail if you actually use them, funny, is that not why something is on a car, to use ?
11 SE 2.4 with 55K, picked her up with 35K March 29th, 2013. I use my left paddle everyday and it always works like clock work. Im not sure what is going on with yours however good luck. Also the dealership I use to service my car is great and I always get free oil changes in return for giving them 10s on the survey, which they earn.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Need some help, I've had it. Did Hyundai order the cheapest part possible for this?

It's almost like clock work, Tonight is the 3rd time the paddle shifters have stopped working, on my 2012 2.0. It averages about 6 months for them to go bad! Car has 13,000 miles

I do use them just about every day, Can anyone else who has had this problem help me deal with the dealership? Last time I told them if this happens again, I want this issue resolved and not have to come in here every 6 months until my 5 year warranty is up.

Anyone have any suggestions/ideas? What good is it to pay for a 2.0, have paddle shifters and they flat out will break after 6 months w/ daily use? After the 5 year warranty then what? Honestly I have yet to go to a Hyundai service dealership that gave one rats azz as far as giving good service in my NY/NJ area. Very SAD!

Cro

Welcome to the club!:00000732:

I had my left paddle die on me during a trip to Michigan/Ohio with 28K or so. Clicked a downshift while coming down a highway off ramp in Michigan and it made a loud snap. Wouldnt return to its position.

What really sucked is that the circuit in the paddle was closed when it broke, so it disabled my tiptronic for the rest of the trip! Had to have dealer in Ohio diagnose, send diagnosis to dealer in MN, get part ordered, then installed. All said the car was broken for about 2 weeks.

While I'm not Mr Drag Racer or anything, I do like using my paddles/tiptronic to slow down as opposed to braking for every little thing. Plus I like for everything to work on a car that I am making payments on.:rolleyes:

My right paddle seems like its on its last legs as well. Very stiff when engaging and it clicks (the newer left paddle is silent when being operated). I do think the key is when they are not used for while, the spring mechanism gets stiff and can pop off inside, locking the circuit and disabling the tiptronic system.

IIRC Hyundai did update the design or something (at least that's what the Svc Adviser said when the Sled was repaired) but I expect to be replacing the right one soon.

Yes it sucks, but these cars are built to a price point. Hyundai could have cheaped out on a lot more than the paddle shifter...

·
Registered
159 Posts

You are a perfect candidate for the lemon law.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
11 SE 2.4 with 55K, picked her up with 35K March 29th, 2013. I use my left paddle everyday and it always works like clock work. Im not sure what is going on with yours however good luck. Also the dealership I use to service my car is great and I always get free oil changes in return for giving them 10s on the survey, which they earn.
You a very lucky to have such a good dealership!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cro

Welcome to the club!:00000732:

I had my left paddle die on me during a trip to Michigan/Ohio with 28K or so. Clicked a downshift while coming down a highway off ramp in Michigan and it made a loud snap. Wouldnt return to its position.

What really sucked is that the circuit in the paddle was closed when it broke, so it disabled my tiptronic for the rest of the trip! Had to have dealer in Ohio diagnose, send diagnosis to dealer in MN, get part ordered, then installed. All said the car was broken for about 2 weeks.

While I'm not Mr Drag Racer or anything, I do like using my paddles/tiptronic to slow down as opposed to braking for every little thing. Plus I like for everything to work on a car that I am making payments on.:rolleyes:

My right paddle seems like its on its last legs as well. Very stiff when engaging and it clicks (the newer left paddle is silent when being operated). I do think the key is when they are not used for while, the spring mechanism gets stiff and can pop off inside, locking the circuit and disabling the tiptronic system.

IIRC Hyundai did update the design or something (at least that's what the Svc Adviser said when the Sled was repaired) but I expect to be replacing the right one soon.

Yes it sucks, but these cars are built to a price point. Hyundai could have cheaped out on a lot more than the paddle shifter...
The thing with mine is they sound just fine and they feel just fine, they have some sort of control switch between them and the tranny , that is why the whole system goes down , both the paddles and the gear shifter to do manual mode. This has to stop, it will just continue to do this

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At this point I would do that, however, I thought I was limited to the first 2 years or 18 miles here in NJ.

Can this still be accomplished? There are also federal laws such as Magnus-Moss Warranty Act and the uniform commercial code act.

If you have any insight, much appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
159 Posts
At this point I would do that, however, I thought I was limited to the first 2 years or 18 miles here in NJ.

Can this still be accomplished? There are also federal laws such as Magnus-Moss Warranty Act and the uniform commercial code act.

If you have any insight, much appreciated.
Thanks
This is from the NJ division of consumer affairs;

New Jersey's Lemon Law Unit handles new car, used car and motorized wheelchair (power scooter) complaints.

In order to qualify for relief under the Lemon Law, the vehicle must be less than two years old and have fewer than 24,000 miles. The defect must substantially impair the use, value or safety of the vehicle or be a serious safety defect which is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven. As of January 19, 2010, the law also covers authorized emergency vehicles. You must first meet certain conditions and requirements before filing a Lemon Law application. Details are contained in the New Jersey Lemon Law Guidebook or the two-page Consumer Brief. The Lemon Law Unit can be reached by calling 973-504-6226 or by writing to the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs, Lemon Law Unit, P.O. Box 45026, Newark, NJ 07101. You may also submit a question by email at [email protected].

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
As long as the OP has documented proof of each time the repair was done and the subsequent visits to the dealership to repair the same problem, then the ability to claim lemon status is still valid.

I would suggest that OP get in contact with Hyundai Corp first and let them know of the repeated attempts to repair the car. At least give them a chance to provide their input on the situation. Only once that has failed get a Lemon Law attorney.

If Hyundai agrees to a buyback, OP will probably face a deduction for the 13K on the car but it should be a reasonable one. Most likely it will not even matter if another Hyundai is chosen for replacement.

Best of luck. Hope it works out in your favor!

·
Banned
532 Posts
I believe the OP stated the paddles have been repaired so I'm sure they'll repair the part again. The OP didn't state what the problem is with the dealership, did they throw a pissy fit when the OP came in? Did they fight the OP on wear and tear or invoke the paddles were abused? Or did they order the part and repair it. It appears the OP's gone to multiple dealers, I've found loyalty to one dealer builds a stronger relationship and good will that goes a long way. I think the Hyundai network and their dedication to customer service is shown in the way Addogs9626 case was handled through multiple states.

I know there are many people on the forum that believe in this same loyalty formula.

The highlights, bold print and politically written verbiage of the lemon law's are the most enjoyable part to read, one must read the entire policy to understand it, the time limits, out of service limits, day's out of service, failure to act and other intricacies not highlighted by bold print.

And if I hear one more reference to the Magnus-Moss act I'm going to ... :wallbash: 20 times.

And the UCC ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
If Hyundai agrees to a buyback, OP will probably face a deduction for the 13K on the car but it should be a reasonable one. Most likely it will not even matter if another Hyundai is chosen for replacement.

Best of luck. Hope it works out in your favor!
actually, the buyer gets the full purchase price refunded.

New Jersey Lemon Law 56:12-32 Refunds.
a. If, during the period specified in section 3 of this act, the manufacturer or its dealer is unable to repair or correct a nonconformity within a reasonable time, the manufacturer shall accept return of the motor vehicle from the consumer. The manufacturer shall provide the consumer with a full refund of the purchase price of the original motor vehicle including any stated credit or allowance for the consumer's used motor vehicle, the cost of any options or other modifications arranged, installed, or made by the manufacturer or its dealer within 30 days after the date of original delivery, and any other charges or fees including, but not limited to, sales tax, license and registration fees, finance charges, reimbursement for towing and reimbursement for actual expenses incurred by the consumer for the rental of a motor vehicle equivalent to the consumer's motor vehicle and limited to the period during which the consumer's motor vehicle was out of service due to a nonconformity, less a reasonable allowance for vehicle use. Nothing herein shall be construed to preclude a manufacturer from making an offer to replace the vehicle in lieu of a refund; except that the consumer may, in any case, reject a manufacturer's offer of replacement and demand a refund. Refunds shall be made to the consumer and lien holder, if any, as their interests appear on the records of ownership maintained by the Director of the Division of Motor Vehicles. In the event that the consumer accepts an offer to replace the motor vehicle in lieu of a refund, it shall be the manufacturer's responsibility to insure that any lien on the returned motor vehicle is transferred to the replacement vehicle.
And if I hear one more reference to the Magnus-Moss act I'm going to ... :wallbash: 20 times.
Its actually called MagnuSON-Moss Act. And not sure why you would bang your head 20 times for a consumer protection Federal law, that allows consumers who have purchased any defective product worth $25 or more, with a written warranty, to be able to hold the manufacturer responsible for either a full refund, or a replacement, plus any fees associated including attorney costs.
So the OP has a state lemon law, and a federal law, to help protect him from being taken advantage of by either the dealership, or Hyundai Corp. Why on earth this is such a bad thing to you, I do not understand. Hopefully it doesnt get that far, but all signs so far are pointing in the direction of, its just a defective vehicle, and the consumer should get a replacement from the manufacturer.

·
Banned
532 Posts
:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Darn, 15 more this is startin to hurt.

·
Registered
159 Posts
He will not get it lemon lawed over paddle shifters. ROFL!!
So I guess I should forget about taking my wifes Accord in for a lemon because the interior light would come on and off on its own while driving. It has been fixed 3 times. Oh thats right, I already did, and the vehicle was replaced, and attorneys fees paid. Where do you practice consumer law again? ROFL!!

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
Let's see your law degree first. How about I use your own testimony:
The defect must substantially impair the use, value or safety of the vehicle or be a serious safety defect which is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven.

Because you can't use the paddle shifter is not substanial. Supposing your story is true, a light flashing on inside a car at night can confuse the eyes and cause a saefty issue. An option part not working, regardless of the shifter being able to do the same thing, that does not effect the operation of the car, are two different things. Warranty? sure. Lemon law? Not even close.Find yet another thread to be wrong in.

·
Registered
726 Posts
People actually use those things? I couldn't tell you if mine work or not. I've only used them 2-3 times demonstrating their usefulness (sarcasm) to passengers.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Let's see your law degree first. How about I use your own testimony:
The defect must substantially impair the use, value or safety of the vehicle or be a serious safety defect which is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven.

Because you can't use the paddle shifter is not substanial. Supposing your story is true, a light flashing on inside a car at night can confuse the eyes and cause a saefty issue. An option part not working, regardless of the shifter being able to do the same thing, that does not effect the operation of the car, are two different things. Warranty? sure. Lemon law? Not even close.Find yet another thread to be wrong in.
I guess u also missed the word "value" or "impair". Since the paddle shifter is a functioning part of the vehicle, and it cannot be used at the now 3rd time for the OP, then yes, that is substantial. Not to mention that it is an increase in price for the consumer since the paddle shift is only available in the higher priced models, so again, that is substantial. And I dont need a law degree, thats why I hired an attorney. The fact that I could have simply removed the bulb also negates your comment as to it being a saftey issue. Interior lights are not considered a safety feature on a vehicle. Now head lights, tail lights, turn signals, would be, but not the interior light. So again, since it appears you have not had any experience in dealing with a lemon law case, you can refrain from throwing your opinion around as if it is fact. If you have had experience, by all means you are free to enlighten the OP with it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Never once have i tried my paddle shifters. I wipe dust off them occasionally but that's it. OP if i could give you mine i would. Good luck finding a solution.

Sent from my SCH-I535

1 - 20 of 36 Posts