Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the end cover and purchased a new bearing that came with a race as the old one exploded.

In what order does the race and bearing go onto the overdrive hub? Does the bearing side go against the overdrive hub? I haven't been able to find manual showing both the race and bearing placement.

Any help would be awesome!

·
Registered
448 Posts
There are quite a few threads on that topic on this site, some with pictures and other information like service manual sections - all is easily found using a search.

Here's one such thread with pics & manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Alfons @ Apr 16 2010, 07:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=313768
There are quite a few threads on that topic on this site, some with pictures and other information like service manual sections - all is easily found using a search.

Here's one such thread with pics & manual.

I've done the search thing as that is how I found out about the easily exploding bearing between the 3rd and 4th gear/overdrive hub.

I have the diagram of the a4af3 transmission, but the manual posted is only helpful if you want to pull out your transmission.

The diagram doesn't show where the Race is placed on the endclutch/overdrive clutch assembly. I should have been more clear as I was asking for the orientation of the bearing(bearing side against the hub or away from the hub).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry I have not been on in awhile folks. Here is another victim of the exploding needle bearing. As I mentioned before you can pull it all out from the side without pulling the transmission. More than likely you will need to replace the solenoids located inside the trans pan (on top of valve body), the needle bearing (comes with race from dealer or What ever it takes.com???) and the 4th gear (hub looking **** with three knotches) This has been destroyed by the bearing (look closly at the three marks and you will see they are shiney and worn down) This is the second one I have done so far so I am no expert but the last one drove great after I replaced those items. This one as you can see in the pictures has some other damage (broken gears behind hub) So I am still trying to figure out how to remove those gears. I think tomorrow I will try my pully puller....Any ideas folks?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
QUOTE (koala @ Apr 15 2010, 08:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=313691
I removed the end cover and purchased a new bearing that came with a race as the old one exploded.

In what order does the race and bearing go onto the overdrive hub? Does the bearing side go against the overdrive hub? I haven't been able to find manual showing both the race and bearing placement.

Any help would be awesome!
The last one I did I put the needles towards the 4th gear hub...However this one I pulled apart today has it needles out....So I do not know what is right. I figured the needles riding against the gear was right with my last install and it worked fine...but I am not sure. Thats why I want those darn KMs 1, 2, and 3. However I can not seam to muster up the cash to buy them online. Its more principal I suppose (spending that much on a 60 page book) So i will wing it till then.....Anyone have one of these books? PDF?

·
Registered
548 Posts
KM manuals??

QUOTE (koala @ Apr 15 2010, 08:18 PM)

The last one I did I put the needles towards the 4th gear hub...However this one I pulled apart today has it needles out....So I do not know what is right. I figured the needles riding against the gear was right with my last install and it worked fine...but I am not sure. Thats why I want those darn KMs 1, 2, and 3. However I can not seam to muster up the cash to buy them online. Its more principal I suppose (spending that much on a 60 page book) So i will wing it till then.....Anyone have one of these books? PDF?

It looks like I'm a few years late but I would like to know where I could purchase these KM manuals.... I just replaced the thrust bearing but very unsure on the order of these parts -as to when I opened case thrust bearing was already gone. I put it back together but I know I need to redo and add the shaft (042675l) and bushing. I would b SO grateful! Gracias in advance!!!

·
Registered
548 Posts
I taught myself.....

All the "KM" manuals (#42401LC) I found were junk pertaining specifically to the trans A4AF3 issue I was having, (in fact the info from RyanDailey n KKarr above gave me more info than the KM book for A4AF3 trans.) However, I purchased the tech manual for the KM175 trans. (#42400C) and this manual gave intricate detail...although different setup, it gave me more dirrection, on the assembly specifically. I have redone the trans the proper way with correct parts (thanks to KKarr) and researching for a wk. I have an album dedicated to this notorious bearing AND input shaft job on this forum.

One major fact I have learned is that if the bearing needs replacing it is usually due to a wrong input overdrive shaft from time of manufacture.... apparently the one from assembly line is too short and cause overdrive drum and clutches to bang against the thrust bearing and race set, causing it to crush and explode inside.

Any questions I can answer, I will gladly help if I can. Thanks to the members here who's posts helped "guide" me! :clap::D:D:D

·
Registered
100 Posts
error code P0734 repair question

Hi, all, I got a 2001 hyundai accent 1.6L. Just last week it shifts funny (over 4500RPM when I'm doing 70MPH at highway) and when I took the car to autozone for a code read it says P0734. There's no vehicle speed sensor error code so I guess it must be either the solenoids or the transmission itself. I think 90% chance I have the same problem as described in this discussion thread. Since this is such an old car I will not even consider buying a new or rebuilt transmission, it will cost more than the car's current value. I will very much prefer to try to fix it myself or just donate this car. I've done some minor maintenance such as changing oil, rotating tires and changing brakes etc. HOwever I never even dreamed of openning up a transmission. Do you guys think it's possible for me to fix it myself(I understand I have to remove the driver front tire, the splash guard, and transmission case, and probably battery and it's compartment, and some gears). Is the exploded bearing located right inside the transmission cover or is it buried deep under some gears? do I need special tools to remove the gear assembly? In term of difficulty scale 1 to 10(1 being the easiest), how difficult do you guys think this repair job will be? I have another car so time isn't an issue here. I deeply appreciate your help and advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Trying to remove overdrive cover

Hi! My husband owns a 2004 accent. Broke down the other day--was in passing gear, clunked down, speed dropped to 20 mph, no reverse. We believe it's that bearing because, believe it or not, over a year ago he did a fluid and filter change and those little needles were in the pan. It was running great, soooooo.....can't believe it continued running this long--227,000 miles on this little car! Anyway, we are attempting to do what a few have done by leaving the tranny in. Got all the bolts out but the overdrive cover will not budge! We've tapped, banged, pulled and only a tiny bit of fluid is seeping out the bottom--any suggestions? Really don't want to try tapping a screwdriver in between and risk gouging the tranny surface. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!^_^

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got it! My son told me to get the breaker bar, hook it to that bolt on the bottom of the case, kick against the bar and the frame and pop! Woo hoo! It's the bearing--all the needles gone! So, gotta order some parts and see how it goes. Thanks for all the information and pictures--saved us from pulling the entire tranny like we had to on my mini-van. Hope that's all it is--I'll update when we get it all back together.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello. I've been reading all the posts and I have the same problem, but my car works fine until it reaches operating temperature and then it goes into failsafe mode. If it was the bearing, would it not go into o/d even when cold? Has anyone's problem been like this? Goes into o/d when cold and when it reaches operating temperature it kicks out? Thanks, Keith.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you check for codes? My husband had P0732, P0733, P0734. He was on the highway, it kicked into passing gear, clunked, slowed down to 20mph--also lost reverse. We found the needle bearings in the pan about a year ago, but it was running fine and we didn't want to mess with it at the time. It's been running for that long with an exploded bearing--not sure how. So, you may want to check for codes (his engine light did not come on) and/or drop the tranny pan and see if there's any needle bearings on the bottom or stuck to the magnets. We are hoping to have it all put back together this Sunday. Will post results.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If it has P0732 AND P0733 in addition to P0734, you should first try to change the pulse generator(speed sensor). If it's P0734 alone, then it's the internal transmission issue. I plan to open up the transmission end clutch cap and fix it myself. Ordered the bearing kit from whatever it takes transmission and just wait for some free time and cooler day. It's too **** hot these days. One question for the experts, after you replace the bearing, and seal back the end clutch cap, do you just fill the transmission fluid(SPIII) from the transmission fluid check stick tube? Do you need to use some sort of pump to make sure there's no bubble trapped inside the transmissions? Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
hi please let me know how it goes. I still haven't time to fix the car. Driving another SUV and wasting a lot of gas right now. This little hyundai gets 30MPG even with AC on, it's amazing. My SUV can't even get 16MPG. I'll need to find some time and a cooler day to fix the car. When you put on the bearing, does the roller side facing inward towards the center of the tranny or facing the end clutch tranny cap? That's what I'm unsure of. Just look at the picture illustration I can't tell because it's too small.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info--we got it all back together, still no reverse, will not shift. P0734 is gone now--the new bearing fixed that, but still P0732 and P0733. I've done some reading and with the shifting and reverse gone, I'm afraid it's going to be a complete rebuild. We decided not to take a chance, because the only manual we could find is not that great--very short instructions and poor illustrations, not to mention special tools required. So, gonna get a rebuilt and put it in--it has a 3YR warranty. Our tranny has 227,000 miles on it, so really can't complain! lol
But
to answer your questions, yes, fill from where the stick goes in. Get a long neck funnel to make it easier. The needle bearings go towards the tranny, away from you. If you only have P0734, it should fix it. It's a pretty quick fix if it's only the bearing. Make sure you check the teeth on the big gears and I believe it's called the overdrive shaft (?). It slips right off and can be ordered from whatever it takes also. You probably want to drop the pan and change the filter also. There will probably be little needle bearings stuck to the magnets. Good luck! Let me know if you get it running!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts