Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am getting a p0501 code (off my code reader) on my 2001 Elantra. I have already replaced the Speed sensor on top of the transaxle under the air filter. Driving into work today check engine light came back on and took to AutoZone. They are getting a P0501 code Sensor "A". They had no idea which sensor, sensor "A" was. I know there are 4 sensors on this car and have searched for other posts with no luck, all say replace speed sensor. Need to get this done to pass emissions.Any ideas?

·
Registered
44 Posts
www.hyundaitechinfo.com is a great resource for researching trouble codes and how to diagnose and fix them. It does require you to register, but it's free and they don't seem to do anything bad with your email address - I've been a "member" for several years. Anyway, P0501 seems to refer to the wheel speed sensor which is located on the right front wheel. I'd start simple and trace the wire up under the plastic wheel well. That's where the connector is. Check and make sure the connection is firm and clean. If that's not it, replacing it is kind of a bummer. The plastic sensor most likely will need to be destroyed to get it out of the rusty hole it sits in. At least that's what happened to me. That was after the head of the little bolt that holds it in sheared off in my socket. It was far from an elegant repair on my part.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
www.hyundaitechinfo.com is a great resource for researching trouble codes and how to diagnose and fix them. It does require you to register, but it's free and they don't seem to do anything bad with your email address - I've been a "member" for several years. Anyway, P0501 seems to refer to the wheel speed sensor which is located on the right front wheel. I'd start simple and trace the wire up under the plastic wheel well. That's where the connector is. Check and make sure the connection is firm and clean. If that's not it, replacing it is kind of a bummer. The plastic sensor most likely will need to be destroyed to get it out of the rusty hole it sits in. At least that's what happened to me. That was after the head of the little bolt that holds it in sheared off in my socket. It was far from an elegant repair on my part.

I think we all had the same experience. Had to drill out snapped bolt and tap new hole. Wire harness ran up behind passenger wheel well , also awkward.
But ... Correct analysis.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts