Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check light came on and I had the code read at AutoZone. There were 3 codes but I'm pretty sure 2 are old (the check light previously came on a couple of months ago and I had it checked, then went off on its own). My car seems to be driving fine.

The new one is P0455. Large EVAP leak. I'm hoping it is just my gas cap, but I wondered two things:

- does anyone know if this code comes up for anything common with Elantras?

- my family and I are planning a 10 hour trip, is this significant enough to postpone in order to investigate.

In case you're interested, the other 2 (older) codes are P0456 (small leak) and P0113 (IAT error).

Merry Christmas! :)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Drive it till the cows come home.. 0455 large evap leak means that when the PCM does an evap test to make sure the car cannot emit HC vapors to atmosphere, when the test occurs, the tank pressure sensor sees atmosphere pressure the whole time system trying to do test... amounts to leaving fuel can open to atmosphere..

Next adventure is finding a hole/crack large enough to not allow tank pressure sensor to "jiggle" voltage feedback to PCM during test.. 2003......... likely going to be a steel line with a bad case of rust.

First suspect be fuel fill pipe, somewhere between the flange you insert fuel nozzle and down the first 6-8 inch of plumbing there.. second be a CCV not closing, but we dont sell CCV for anything.. only when replacing canister usually

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Just to address your concern.... There is no reason to postpone your trip for these problems. They should not impact reliability, mpg, or drive-ability in any way. Your just emitting harmful vapors into the atmosphere, per EPA regulations.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I guess I'll have to address it before the next state inspection but it's great to know it's not an issue operationally.

·
Registered
749 Posts
After looking.over the previously mentioned items, take a look at the vapor line headed to the front. specifically look at the 90 degree bend that is just past the fuel tank (coming from the rear) going to the front.

O

·
0 Posts
When my 2004 elantra had that code I replaced the O2 sensor right by the catalytic converter and I was good to go.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The check light went off a few days ago. Does that reveal anything about what the problem could be, or perhaps what it isn't?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It wasn't off, but it's certainly possible that it wasn't tightened properly initially. I refueled a couple of times before the light went off (travelling 750 miles over a few days). I'm hoping it's just the cap but I'm wanting to get idea of what else it could be so I'm prepared to troubleshoot it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts