Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Elantra Touring 2012 had P0455 for few months. I searched the internet for it. Some persons said it is Evap system large leak, but some people said it is large leak or no flow. Don't know which one is right for Elantra? Because I need to figure out what's wrong. Thanks for anybody's opinions.

I have 2 PCSV on hand. Old one has little leak and sometimes will cause hard start after filling up gas. If I use the new one PCSV, I will get P0455 after 2-3 days and about 40 miles. If I use old PCSV, I will get P0441 after 2-4 weeks and about 400 miles. And I never get P0455 during the 2-4 weeks if I use old PCSV. That's the problem I don't understand.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
P0441 Evaporative emission (EVAP) system – incorrect flow detected Hose connection(s), intake leak, EVAP canister purge valve

P0455 Evaporative emission (EVAP) system – large leak detected Hose connection(s), intake leak, EVAP canister, EVAP canister purge

How many miles on the 'new" valve?
Are all the hoses OK, particularly in the engine bay?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
about 2000 miles on new valve. I bought it from amazon USA 3 months ago, it is OEM genuine part. And I have 3 gas caps. No click for the old one, I tight it with 2 hands, but still no click, maybe damaged the filler neck . I bought another OEM genuine cap($30). After that, I bought one more cap (cheap $10). I tried to pump air from PCSV side to tank with bike pump, and from CCV valve side. But I didn't feel like any large leak, it is hard to pump air in. All the hoses in engine side are OK. canister side not sure, because it is hard to check. I went to garage to check, no problem found.

I tried to switch old valve and new valve for few times. And reset for few times. Always same result, the new valve will give me P0455 only after 2-3days/40 miles, and the old valve will give me P0441 only after 2-4weeks/400 miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if I can renew the sticker next year. I will use the old valve, clear the code, and after one week. After one week, everything is ready(I checked few times) and no code there.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
My Elantra Touring 2012 had P0455 for few months. I searched the internet for it. Some persons said it is Evap system large leak, but some people said it is large leak or no flow. Don't know which one is right for Elantra? Because I need to figure out what's wrong. Thanks for anybody's opinions.

I have 2 PCSV on hand. Old one has little leak and sometimes will cause hard start after filling up gas. If I use the new one PCSV, I will get P0455 after 2-3 days and about 40 miles. If I use old PCSV, I will get P0441 after 2-4 weeks and about 400 miles. And I never get P0455 during the 2-4 weeks if I use old PCSV. That's the problem I don't understand.
The toughest part is getting to the parts and testing them
P0455 seems to be for a large leak
Then when you swap out the old purge control solenoid valve for the new one
You get P0441.
Which seems that the new one is not working because you are not getting proper flow

In the auto parts industry, it is unfortunate but new doesn't always mean it is working.
You might have a bad new part??
Can you test the old part and new part??
Electrically and for flow, no flow??

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got one more PCSV from vehicle scrap site yesterday. I drove almost 100 miles and nothing happen, but I got P0455 this morning. I marked 3 valves as #1,2,3 so that no confuse. #1, hard start after filling up gas and P0441, #2 #3 same code P0455.

I measured with multi-meter, #1=16 ohm #2=16 ohm #3=21 ohm. I blew air with bicycle pump, #1 little leak, #2,#3 are good. I applied 12v power, all good. So I don't think it is the valve problem so far.

I unplug it and measure the voltage this afternoon. 0v when key is off. 6v when key is on and no start. 7.5v when car started. I held it about 1 minute, it stayed on 7.5v and very stable. I asked somebody to give a little gas on it, it was still 7.5v. After I drove 15 miles and 3 stops, it was still 7.5v. I connected one PCSV, the valve looks like open and can blow air with mouth, but not smoothly. Finally I got P0444, it is PCSV circuit open code, it is normal because I opened it for testing.

I suspect the voltage 7.5v too low, but not sure its operational voltage. i only know that we can test it with 12v power.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe, the system is so smart, knew that I disconnected the circuit and didn't give the right voltage.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
0455 is the PCM does not see any change in tank pressure voltage feedback to PCM when it command CCV closeure and duty cycle Purge to draw system into vacuum.... You have a big enough EVAP leak that pressure sensor remains static at atmosphere pressure during test..

Find somebody to do a leak test and find the large leak,,,, we have a tester cart that do Nitrogen or smoke,, Hyundai does not advise smoke, as oil base smoke will saturate the pellets and that be the end of them.. I use the Nitrogen side to make pressure and use bottle of soapy water (smell good body wash) and watch for bubbles at site of leak.. smoke dont work for a crap for me,, too hard to see, and with any air in shop, mess it up also.. I prefer bubbles

Reactions: grcauto

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Okay, sounds like you got a good Purge valve.
And when the good one is in, the other issue shows up.

I think the next step may be smoke test or testing with a proper scan tool (checking pressure and vacuum switch)
It really isn't what I have done. So no advice.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everybody.

I guess as if my PCSV never opened at all because the voltage for PCSV has only 7.5v, maybe not enough. If PCSV never opens, PCM also can not see any change in tank pressure voltage feedback to PCM. I am probably wrong.

Once I closed the air vent from CCV few weeks ago, but I didn't see any difference, still P0455.

Perhaps I should find a better shop to take a look, or go to dealer, dealer is expensive.

I will continue to fight P0455. I will post here if I fix it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Purge is a duty cycle by PCM,, with out looking at ETM, I believe source voltage is constant to Purge, and the PCM supply ground via duty cycle to operate purge.. you can verify purge action by remove hose from body side of valve, and wait and listen for PCM to command Purge cycle (POP - POP - POP - POP).... should be no vacuum leak from Purge when not being cycled

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you sbr711

Oh, I understood now. When I plug single one PCSV (without connect both side tubes). I blew air with mouth. The air flow is not smoothly, it is intermittent. I think it is like duty cycle commanded by PCM. So it seems like some problem other than PCSV. Holiday ending, I am going to find other parts problem on it later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think my car get fixed.
First time, I went to Canadian Tire garage for inspection. Fee $110, They said bad vent valve. Get changed, fee $225. I was unset. They didn't put power, how they know vent valve is bad. But I have no choice. P0455 came back 3 days later.
Second time inspection, free, but nothing wrong was found.
Third time inspection, free, they changed technician. They said PSCV bad and get changed. They want to charge me $160. I upset and said I have 3 PSCV on hand. One is from Ebay, One is from vehicle recycle. one is original. After that, they charged me $60. They said it should be fixed.
Now P0455 doesn't come back for 3 weeks and 1 and half tank gas finished. So I think it is fixed.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
I hate Evap problems
Have been working on a P0440 for a while now
Replaced purge valve twice already.
The first time, I changed it with a part from Rockauto
Second time, mechanic changed it with a Dorman part
Both times, P0440 came back within 20 mile

I want to pressurized the system and spray soapy water all over the place
Unfortunately no lift. Makes it hard to see where a leak would be.

·
Banned
7,037 Posts
I hate Evap problems
Have been working on a P0440 for a while now
Replaced purge valve twice already.
The first time, I changed it with a part from Rockauto
Second time, mechanic changed it with a Dorman part
Both times, P0440 came back within 20 mile

I want to pressurized the system and spray soapy water all over the place
Unfortunately no lift. Makes it hard to see where a leak would be.
This is a help for those who suffer these EVAP leaks.
What @sbr711 says about using nitrogen is very important. The density of the air (I know it's 70% Nitrogen) is greater than the pure Nitrogen. Add carbon (smoke) and it's even higher. The less dense Nitrogen will find leaks that otherwise will not show even if you have a good smoke machine with a flow meter. This is particularly true with small leaks. Large leaks are bad enough to find with smoke and if it's the can or cracked line you will be LUCKY to find it. Nitrogen is a far better way to find these leaks.
I've got friends who have made cheap (in all ways) smoke machines and sell them on eBay for $125 or less. Don't be fooled....these so called smoke machines will not find most leaks....only the worst and you'll likely need to visit the hardware/plumbing store to get it to hook up correctly.
That was free..:wink:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am so surprising now. It is really fixed. But I can't believe both of my PCSV are bad. Maybe they changed some rubber tube which connect to PCSV. I didn't ask about that, and I don't want to check it because I worry about another code show up if I did a bad job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts