Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Could it be a loose or defective gas cap?

·
Registered
283 Posts
P0446 means there is a higher than expected amt of vacuum in the fuel tank when purge is commanded. This can be caused by a canister close valve being stuck closed, but more likely, it is a restricted air inlet filter at/near the charcoal canister. Go to hmaservice.com for service manuals & details. Sign-up is free from Hyundai.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know this thread is old but I have the same issue.
How would I go about correcting this. I haven't checked my gas cap yet but could some direct me towards a way to correct for this.

Thanks,
JM

·
Registered
17,548 Posts
Where is the CCV located on the 2004 SF 3.5L. I need to replace it as the CEL keeps coming back on with the same code.
Define " CEL keeps coming back on with the same code."

What is the code ?

·
Registered
17,548 Posts
Look for vent circuit restriction.. common cause is canister is clogging.. CCV sticking closed is not something we see, and it has to operating, as you have likely passed EVAP self test.. CCV not close during self test result in 0455 large leak (besides a fuel cap missing/not secure proper where PCM see constant atmosphere pressure during self test)..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Isn't fixed

I have a check engine light with the code p0446- evap emission control system vent circuit malf. what do i do to fix it?
thanks
I have changed the engine coils, purge valve, oxygen sensor, and gas cap! I can't figure out why I keep getting the service engine light.....
It is a 2007 Hyundai Accent and had three codes come out at once. P0456, P0446, and P0300.
It just keeps telling me I need to do something else. Do I literally have to change everything until I get it right? There must be an easier softer way.

·
Registered
17,548 Posts
I have changed the engine coils, purge valve, oxygen sensor, and gas cap! I can't figure out why I keep getting the service engine light.....
It is a 2007 Hyundai Accent and had three codes come out at once. P0456, P0446, and P0300.
It just keeps telling me I need to do something else. Do I literally have to change everything until I get it right? There must be an easier softer way.
Why we "hanging" random parts ?? Gets expensive, and maybe compound your original concern...

0300,, I assume the car runs fine with no misfire / lumpy engine run ??

0456,,, I take the 0446 concern first,, simple test verify problem, with 0456 being added by-product of the 46 concern..

Remove vent line from canister,, blow toward atmosphere side of tube and verify free flow (human lung as source for blow),, and do same on canister side through canister to fuel tank... I suspect you going to find canister side of circuit restricted.. REPLACE CANISTER... Remove the small tube from canister,, see if any pellets fall out of tube, along with previously removed large tube.. if yes, you likely have found your 0456 by-product via swollen pellets and cracked canister..

Back to the 0300.. there is a long time ago last software update for PCM --

MODEL
ACCENT (MC)

FUEL SYSTEM

DATE
NOVEMBER 2013

NUMBER
13-FL-012

Description:

This bulletin provides information for an ECM diagnostic code logic update on some Accent 1.6L vehicles that may experience the following DTC:

- P0300: Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detect
- P0301: Cylinder 1 - Misfire Detected
- P0302: Cylinder 2 - Misfire Detected
- P0303: Cylinder 3 - Misfire Detected
- P0304: Cylinder 4 - Misfire Detected

- P0128: Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)

- P0328: Knock Sensor 1 Circuit High Input

- P0461: Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance

GDS Information:

EVENT #
316 (or later compatible event)*

(* the latest event that shows up in the Engine Auto Mode event list for the particular vehicle/engine)

DESCRIPTION
"316 - MC - 1.6 P030X, P0328, P0461 DTC LOGIC IMPROVEMENT"

@Trish33

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,595 Posts
You need to test and troubleshoot for these DTC
The Diagnostic Trouble Codes are only an indicator of where a problem may be
It doesn't mean to start changing parts
It can get quite expensive to try to fix a car that way

P0300 is a misfire.
That can be caused by spark plugs, ignition coils, fuel pump, fuel regulator, injectors, O2 sensors, valves
First thing to do is to find which cylinder is misfiring
If general and not making the engine run terrible
then clear code and wait for it to come back

P0446 and P0456 deals with the Evap emissions system
One is for incorrect purge flow
The other is for a small leak detected
The system is clogged and has a leak.
The clog needs to be cleaned out.
The leak needs to be smoke tested
Put smoke under a little bit of pressure into the fuel system/evap system
Any smoke seen is probably where the leak is.
Tough for a DIYer to do.

Clear the codes and see what comes back.

·
Registered
17,548 Posts
@avisitor,,, nope,, 0446 & 0456,, neither of these is for incorrect purge flow.. 1 is a vent circuit flow concern, other is a leak in EVAP as detected during self test

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,595 Posts
@avisitor,,, nope,, 0446 & 0456,, neither of these is for incorrect purge flow.. 1 is a vent circuit flow concern, other is a leak in EVAP as detected during self test
P0446 when searched on Google ..
Came back with "P0446 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow"

I don't doubt your knowledge (and I know you're right)
But, that is what Google says
So if you would be so kind as to inform Google that they are wrong
I would really appreciate it ... LOL.

·
Registered
17,548 Posts
Hmm,, Google,, or Hyundai Service site using dealer login.. did you try BING ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you need to replace the purge valve, you MUST use a genuine Hyundai purge valve, otherwise the electrical resistance will not be right, and your check engine light will stay on (and the purge valve will continue to malfunction).

A forum user shared this info: non-genuine valve = 20 ohms, Hyundai valve = 30 ohms. The incorrect resistance of a non-Hyundai valve will trigger an evap control circuit error.

I had this check engine light issue for over 1 year - took it to 2 shops 4 times - got 2 new purge valves -+ new CVV + new spark plugs + new gas cap - nothing worked. The answer is simple but hidden: it's gotta be a genuine Hyundai part.

I ordered one from Amazon + got my mechanic to install + voila - no more check engine light, plus it doesn't try to stall out when I fill it up.

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Accent / (I had a 446 error, then for a period a 300 error, then back to 446)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts