Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I recently bought a 2003 Hyundai Accent 1.6L DOHC manual transmission hatchback with 124000 miles. So far the work I have done in the car include replacing front bank 02 sensor, new flex pipe, exhaust manifold replaced with a used OEM part. Everything is going great with the car except that the check engine light is on with the P0442 and I occasionally smell gas or exhaust fumes (not sure) while driving and it goes away. My combined mpg is only about 23mpg.

I replaced the gas cap with a brand new OEM part then cleared the CEL. However, after driving 90 miles, it went back on so I brought it to my mechanic who recommended a smoke test. After the smoke test, he said the charcoal canister and the diagnostic module needs to be replaced. The OEM price for this are $170 for the charcoal canister and $370 for the diagnostic module. I would like to get some input from you guys if this is worth replacing to fix the CEL code and if the code is related to me smelling fumes inside the car while driving. Also, I would like to know if there might be another problem causing this code instead of the charcoal canister or the diagnostic module.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
0442 is an evap emission code,, hence you smelling fuel vapors that supposed to be trapped in the canister' charchol bed, as Federal Law states automobile not allowed to emit HC vapors, but we can leave our gas containers in our shed or garage open with cap off.

Very well could be the canister is cracked/damaged that it leaks vapors out.. the diagnostic module usually sets code in the PCM for module fault..

Could also be a rusted steel line, fill neck, anything that allow HC vapors to get out.

NJ is a rust belt state, so inspect carefully for leaks

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
it'll be the canister, replace that first then worry about that diagnostics module. it doesn't often go but the canister does. also explains the gas smell.

hope all the replaced parts wasn't just for this problem!

23mpg isn't bad at all if you're driving mostly in the city. quite good actually.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts