Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 Hyundai Accent and I was driving home when the vehicle dies in flight. I attempt to restart the vehicle and the engine would try and start but not turn all the way over. I scanned it and got P0342 so I replaced the camshaft position sensor and tried to restart it and it still didn't start. Any information on this topic will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
0342 is circuit fault code..

Poor connection

Short to ground on signal circuit

CMP fault

PCM fault

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
nicovillanueva;5858285I attempt to restart the vehicle and the engine would try and start but not turn all the way over. [/QUOTE said:
Do you mean the engine would not crank good?

How old is the battery?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,959 Posts
P0342 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input

The trouble code means the sensor signal voltage is low, so I'd suggest checking that the sensor has a good 12V power supply.

Turn the ignition on and disconnect the cam sensor.
Touch the probes of your voltmeter to the outer terminals of the sensor's harness connector and make sure you have 12V.
Next connect the black probe to battery negative and touch the red probe to the center terminal of the connector and make sure you have 5V.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
The sensor won't stop the engine turning over. Yes check your battery first. If the battery voltage has dropped and the sensor uses 12 volt supply yes it may be the cause of the code your car has logged.

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
The sensor won't stop the engine turning over. Yes check your battery first.
The engine really has to be turning over for the PCM to log a cam sensor trouble code.

Well, the crank shaft needs to be turning over at least. Whether the camshaft is turning or not is a another matter. The low signal voltage could also be caused by a static camshaft.

·
Registered
1 Posts
P0342 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input

The trouble code means the sensor signal voltage is low, so I'd suggest checking that the sensor has a good 12V power supply.

Turn the ignition on and disconnect the cam sensor.
Touch the probes of your voltmeter to the outer terminals of the sensor's harness connector and make sure you have 12V.
Next connect the black probe to battery negative and touch the red probe to the center terminal of the connector and make sure you have 5V.
Trouble shooting same code on my 2007 hyundai accent. Signal wire on cam shaft sensor gave me 12 volts. so maybe i have a crossed +12 and sensor wire somewhere in the wires?

·
Registered
14,959 Posts
Signal wire on cam shaft sensor gave me 12 volts. so maybe i have a crossed +12 and sensor wire somewhere in the wires?
Sorry, my mistake. I just checked a sample scope trace of the cam sensor signal for this engine and it looks like the cam sensor signal is 12V...OOPS!

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sorry, my mistake. I just checked a sample scope trace of the cam sensor signal for this engine and it looks like the cam sensor signal is 12V...OOPS!

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated
You just need more coffee!:)

·
Registered
122 Posts
The issue is a sensor fault. Camshaft sensor. Replace and will fire right up. This is NOT a PCM ECM TCM fault of any kind. A fault would show much different symptoms as well as not that code. That code in fact states the ECM is functioning fine.

EDIT: if the replacement of the sensor doesn't work. Just give me a shout and I will provide you the wiring diagram. If sensor replace did nothing then it will be the sensor supply power line from the ECM is not making it to the sensor. Which is unlikely to occur during normal driving operations.
Check my reply at the bottom of this post, for details on checking the sensor itself. Handheld oscilloscopes can be had for 80 dollars on amazon. or 200 for very nice multi channels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts