Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've been having an issue with my wife's car lately. Recently, the check engine light came on and the code it was giving was P0338. Soon after the car stopped running and so we towed our car to a local mechanic. He replaced our timing belt since a few teeth were worn, tensioners, water pump, the crank position sensor and 2 ignition coils. Two days later, the same fault code triggered the engine light after the car stalled out several times. (At random times, the engine will stutter then stall) Should we re-replace the crank position sensor or is the ECU the problem??

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I'd be looking for cracked or freyed wires to the crank position sensor. Sounds like this has cost you a fortune, your mechanic sounds like a parts changer and doesn't really know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have the guy pegged. He actually wanted to pull the head to check the valves as well, but I told him absolutely not. (I wasn't upset about timing belt, etc since they were due to be replaced anyway). Personally, I'm hoping that I have a few loose or frayed wires too. We'll see. The other thing I notice every now and then; the clock light on the dash flickers randomly. From dark to brighter, as if it's getting a surge. Has anyone experienced this? I was wondering if this "surge" is screwing with my ignition system, and if so, how I could track this problem down to fix... If I have a frayed wire leading to the CPS, I can't imagine this would also cause a surge in the electrical system. Could it??

Thanks!
Pete

1 - 3 of 3 Posts