Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

My 2003 2.7L V6 santa fe is having some issues. This morning, it started for about 3 seconds then stalled out. No codes. Restart... same thing. Tried this 3 or 4 times with the same result.

Tonight when I came home from work it started up right away. I let if run for 5 minutes, shut it off, and when I went to restart it, it wouldnt start at all. This kept happening until I stepped on the gas and tried to start it, then it very hesitantly, and roughly started and started throwing the p0335 code about the camshaft position sensor. I did a little research and it seems this sensor is a common fail on this model/year. We had heavy rain last night so Im wondering if it somehow got wet. I purchased a new sensor, but when I came home with it, the vehicle has been starting no problem. Any thoughts? does it still sound like a faulty sensor? or could it be something else?

Thanks.

* Crank shaft sensor... not cam.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Straight up replace the crank position sensor.. it is a maintnance item anymore..

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

Is it easy to get at? I havent had much time to look where it is.. also.. I read somewhere that it requires a gasket.. and the one i purchased doesnt have one... please tell me it isnt seperate

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Part in the bag is all you need.

Part located on block behind starter.. you'll want engine cold, as hot exhaust (catalyst there) will burn you nicely when hot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Part in the bag is all you need.

Part located on block behind starter.. you'll want engine cold, as hot exhaust (catalyst there) will burn you nicely when hot.
Thanks Sbr711... i didnt think a gasket made sense. Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I agree 100% with SBR711. And be thankful your vehicle is at home where you can work on it, vs leaving you stranded somewhere with a tow job.
No gasket needed. Easy to get at? Define easy......nah just kidding. It's a challenge, but a small one. Drop the starter out of the way though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree 100% with SBR711. And be thankful your vehicle is at home where you can work on it, vs leaving you stranded somewhere with a tow job.
No gasket needed. Easy to get at? Define easy......nah just kidding. It's a challenge, but a small one. Drop the starter out of the way though.
Is it a big job in terms of time it should take to get at it?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I do them on rack, maybe 30 minutes if I'm slow and engine warm/hot..

At home, on the floor, you going to find it a wee bit of challange since you not know where it is,, and how to get at.

Take starter shield loose, then use short 1/4 drive ratchet, maybe 3" extension, and a short 10mm socket.. has to be a thin wall socket,, too much beef and you will have problem getting onto the bolt.

I go in over top of starter after getting socket set on bolt

After bolt out, rotate sensor body and lift out of block,, make sure old o-ring is still attached to old sensor.. double o-ring = incorrect gap from sensor end to ring on crank, and engine may not fire. Snug the bolt when re-assemble, no major torque required.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
It's been awhile since I did mine. But if memory serves, it took a couple of hours for me. I had my 2001 Santa Fe 2.7 V6 up on ramps. So I got to it from below. Not so much removing the splash guard, starter, but most of my time was spent fiddling/feeling with getting my fingers in a cramped space. A flexible mirror helps in seeing what you need to do. A 10mm deep socket 1/4 drive will do the job for the one bolt holding it in. You can reach up and unplug the opposite end. Be careful when removing the sensor from the block. It may break off. This is due to so much heat over the years applied to a plastic part.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
HA! as I was writing this, SBR had a good way to do this! He's the pro! I'm merely shade tree caliber. Great to have a guy like SBR here!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The sensor is extremely brittle and breaking apart... but yes, there are wires exposed which are causing the code. Its spinning but stuck. How do you remove it without doing any more damage? im running out of pull points...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
By now you've seen what a difficult position this thing's in. It's like you need more joints on your fingers. Is the sensor intact, or has it broken off in the hole? Other than the one bolt, it's not held in place by anything else. Assuming there's some crud hanging it up, you might try a little WD-40 to loosen. There's no way I know of to push it out from behind. Worst case it'll fall back and wind up in the oil pan.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its mostly intact... the plate with the screw cracked as well as half of the sensor body broke off... but it is loose and spinning. Not broken off in the hole.. It just wont pull out

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You should try searching on this forum as others have had the same experience, and possible fixes. I wish I had the exact solution for you. Maybe some sort of sticky material on a short plastic straw to adhere and pull it out? My guess is that SBR711 has encountered this before. He'd be a good reference.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
PB Blaster at base of sensor, brake fluid will dissolve the sludge.. The o-ring and crud is holding it in the hole. Keep working and lifting at same time, dont get in hurry.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Good for you! Now we can collectively cuss the Engineer who designed the location of that thing. Probably the same guy who located the alternator on the lower portion of the motor.....I know...I know..they have to cram all that stuff into a small space....

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Gotter! Thanks again! The Santa Fe lives to see another day!
Sooooo,, got a pic of your sensor to post for all of us to see what happens to them (sensor) after a few miles and heat/cold cycles ??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts