Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The spark plugs, wires and igntion coil assembly (27301-37116) replaced at 127,000 now has 133,000 miles. Been having a P0456 code over a year (very small evap leak-cant find- thats an EVAP thing should not effect performace).
Spark plugs are NGK.

As this code P0303 points to cylinder #3 rules out the ignition coil.
Some people have talked about a melting #3 boot in there P0303 code issues. These are new wires at 127,000 miles replaced
NGK plugs should last past 6,000 miles.

The car has poor power and the idle is very rough. I could feel some misfires prior at 127,000 and a bi-directional scanner showed these thus the maint at 127,000. Theres been some slow jerky accelation up into this P0303 code and rough idle at times.

Now the Santa Fe is severely rough idle and a P0303 code for the first time, code cleared comes right back in seconds.

Any thoughts first attempt diagnosis?
*******UPDATE #1 11/25/2022
a.) I changed out cylinder #3 to a good known plug the old did not look bad. I also changed out #3 cylinder a NGK wire.
b.) The ignition coil TOWER/ waste spark/ohmed out correctly
c.) upon start up and running for 5-10 min no P0303 code return. Have no test driven under load.
d.) no physical sign of rough idle like before
e.) THERE STILL MAY BE MISFIRES happening I dont have a biddirectional scanner to investigate this data.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Swap igntion coils and se if the code follows the coil, and then swap spark plugs
and when the spark plug is out check the compression.
the 2006 hyundai santa fe SM 2.7 v6 DOES NOT use ingnition coils. Uses a WASTED Spark system if this was faulty would see more than P0303 error.
The wasted spark was replaced at 127,000 miles

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The spark plugs, wires and igntion coil assembly (27301-37116) replaced at 127,000 now has 133,000 miles. Been having a P0456 code over a year (very small evap leak-cant find- thats an EVAP thing should not effect performace).
Spark plugs are NGK.

As this code P0303 points to cylinder #3 rules out the ignition coil.
Some people have talked about a melting #3 boot in there P0303 code issues. These are new wires at 127,000 miles replaced
NGK plugs should last past 6,000 miles.

The car has poor power and the idle is very rough. I could feel some misfires prior at 127,000 and a bi-directional scanner showed these thus the maint at 127,000. Theres been some slow jerky accelation up into this P0303 code and rough idle at times.

Now the Santa Fe is severely rough idle and a P0303 code for the first time, code cleared comes right back in seconds.

Any thoughts first attempt diagnosis?
Coil assembly, ok, why did we replace ?

0456, I wouldnt even bother on that old thing, Bet you didnt know, fuel tank is always open to atmosphere through vent, with canister pellets hiding the fuel smell.

Who wires we use ? Aftermarket is generally poor fit, and can cause you to chase tail over the poor fitting

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

0456, I wouldnt even bother on that old thing, Bet you didnt know, fuel tank is always open to atmosphere through vent, with canister pellets hiding the fuel smell.

Who wires we use ? Aftermarket is generally poor fit, and can cause you to chase tail over the poor fitting
the P 0456 code is not related to the P0303 Current Nov 2022 code.
The picture you pointed on the inginition distribution from my termnilogloy is a wasted spark system. I could be wrong but thats why I put the OEM hyundai part number. Why was it replaced? Back in 127000 was having a rough idle BUT--> NO check engine light of P0303 along with new plugs, new NGK wires I replace the ignition coil OEM hyundai. I didnt have any dignosis tools to look at the misfire count or other data pids. I am not a fan of parts cannon approach thats I had at the time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Car running, with insulated tool pull the plug wire off and see if spark is jumping to the plug.
If so, switch that with another plug, start and see if code changes, if not, check compression.
You might have never worked on a Hyundai 2006 sm v6 santa fe 2.7 SM series before the back FIRE WALL plugs 1,3,5 are very inaccessible with out pulling the intake/surge and many other things.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

NGK wires

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
18,647 Posts
Uses a WASTED Spark system if this was faulty would see more than P0303 error.
You shouldn't assume the ignition coil is good just because your not getting a misfire on the companion cylinder (Cyl 6).

You might have never worked on a Hyundai 2006 sm v6 santa fe 2.7 SM series before the back FIRE WALL plugs 1,3,5 are very inaccessible with out pulling the intake/surge and many other things.
That's true. But you can do the spark test at the ignition coil if the plug is inaccessible. And if there is a spark at the coil you'll need to remove the intake/surge and many other things anyway to check the injector and compression.
Automotive tire Gas Auto part Machine Motor vehicle

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ill double check the ignition spark way pack primary and secondary ohms.according to my manual 2,7 v6 the primary .67 to .82 ohms and the secondary 11.3 to 15.3 kohms.

Today: I checked eletrically the fuel injector #1, #3, #5 were in spec 14.6 ohms PASSED
Today: pulled the #3 spark plug (has only 6,000 miles on them) looked fine but I will replaced with a known good.

IF it comes down to compression issues causing the #3 P0303 after the dry and wet compression and a Leak detection which would point to valves, piston, cylinder , head issues. however at that point the labor cost to rebuild/tear down a cylinder is out of my budget for this vehicle.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Ill double check the ignition spark way pack primary and secondary ohms.according to my manual 2,7 v6 the primary .67 to .82 ohms and the secondary 11.3 to 15.3 kohms.

Today: I checked electrically the fuel injector #1, #3, #5 were in spec 14.6 ohms PASSED
Today: pulled the #3 spark plug (has only 6,000 miles on them) looked fine but I will replaced with a known good.

IF it comes down to compression issues causing the #3 P0303 after the dry and wet compression and a Leak detection which would point to valves, piston, cylinder , head issues. however at that point the labor cost to rebuild/tear down a cylinder is out of my budget for this vehicle.
Aftermarket wires, yea !!! Take the wires, pull the boot bak a bit so wire and clip stick out plenty. Push wire with clip firmly into tower hole to feel clip click into the contact at bottom of bore, now carefully slide boot over end of tower. That clip not in contact creates another gap the electric has to jump, been there via jippy tune and DIY show up with issue and parts store discount wire set

Dont waste your time ohming coils, the engine runs, With engine at idle, lift wire end out of coil tower and get feel for how strong and far the spark will jump from tower to wire end,, IF it'll jump over an inch out of tower to wire end, there is NOT the first thing wrong with that particular tower of the coil, check the other tower too ----

You can lose fire from 1 side of the coil, per my friend @AUTOSPARK , and my own past with this system across product line and per @AUTOSPARK pic, yes Felicia, you can have a dead tower at tower number 3, and perfect spark from tower 6, been there, done that, seen it more on the old BETA 2.0, witch those for busted intake gasket, and blowed out plug wire stick down in the tube

Injectors - 14.6, and they all nearly identical value, ok,, so the coils good for the magnets, now, is the plungers inside the injector working,, coil test dont touch that, even at that, you would expect to see an open or short DTC for injector coil circuit

Real life, you have try really hard to destroy a 2.7L

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Ill double check the ignition spark way pack
True story, I just went into garage and found I do indeed have a part numbered ignition coil box with 14 1/2 yr old ship date tag from PDC

So per HYUNDAI Motor / MOBIS,, it is "ignition coil"

Hey Mr Sparky, how about sending a small bottle of your finest lager ;)

If need be, I can authenticate my picture

Font Material property Rectangle Electric blue Number

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Answers to questions:
A.) With engine running I pulled the #3 BOOT at actual spark waste ignition "tower" or coil GROUP packing (again) this car does not have indivdual coil packs that go into to each cylinder. THe spark was strong. Did not try #6 next to #3

B.) All injectors were 14.6 ohms #1, #3, #5

C.) NGK wire sets are aftermarket but I heard they have a great reputation to OEM. Will double check boots on wire tower which I call a spark waste coil pack.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im not doubting the marketing of ignition coil . HOWEVER when some one says swap ignition coils I CANT with this car since there ALL TIED INTO ONE UNIT or someone in the post called it a TOWER. The scientific term I have learned of the diffreent igntion coil types is SPARK WAY, Distributor and rotar, COil pack, etc.
True story, I just went into garage and found I do indeed have a part numbered ignition coil box with 14 1/2 yr old ship date tag from PDC

So per HYUNDAI Motor / MOBIS,, it is "ignition coil"

Hey Mr Sparky, how about sending a small bottle of your finest lager ;)

If need be, I can authenticate my picture

View attachment 476756
t

1 - 16 of 16 Posts