Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have A 2016 Sonata Hybrid with 118k miles on it, so over the 10/100k warranty. In early July the car started triggering P0302 misfire errors randomly. I took it to my normal mechanic who diagnosed it as a misfire in coil 2, and suggested I take it to the dealership. Dealership charged me a diagnostics fee and swapped coil 2 and three and sent me on my way to the tune of a couple hundred bucks for diagnostics. Error occurred again, same coil same error. This time they replaced the coil (and spark plugs) and charged me another couple hundred bucks. Car was ok for a couple of weeks, then in mid-August i Got the check engine light along with the rough driving. Took the car back in, this time they diagnosed P0302 and P0303 error codes along with Fuel Injectors 2 and 3 being faulty and bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor being faulty (not reading at all). I went ahead and got these repairs completed because, really, what choice do I have. 1k in repairs is cheaper then trading it in to replace it. The kicker in all of this, they said these repairs most likely won’t resolve the issue, that I need to have the cad replaced because it has likely been damaged due to the raw fuel leaking into it. So another $1500-$2k in repairs.

Sure enough, in the middle of driving my son to school this morning, check engine light comes on, car drives rough, losing power on acceleration..all the problems I had before. I guess my question is, has anyone else had a similar issue? Is there something that I may be missing or the dealership may be missing that I can ask them to look at? I am really struggling with how a 5 year old car could need $3k of repairs (if I am lucky) on the combustion system of the car. I would think this is a design flaw or a mechanical flaw of some sort as I assume the car is meant to last longer than 5 years 118k miles.

i tried reaching out to corporate, if nothing to just vent my frustrations, and all that award winning customer service got me was a no you cannot talk to a real person because of COVID, open a ticket online, which was then followed up with a “oh your car is out of warranty, sorry we can’t help you.”

Side note, anyone know where I can get a bargain bin priced catalytic converter For pennies on the dollar :)

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,924 Posts
I am really struggling with how a 5 year old car could need $3k of repairs
It sounds to me like the fault is still there, so the car didn't need $3k worth of repairs. The $3k you've spent hasn't fixed it. That's just how much the dealer tech's guessing has cost you...so far.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
13 Posts
What does the first (non-dealer) have to say about it? You could try asking Scotty Kilmer on YouTube.... Just a thought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions.

autospark - I agree with you. Unfortunately, the out of warranty part really kills me because I can’t just keep taking it to them until they figure out what the problem is, and while I do think my local dealership is not out to bleed me dry and they do want to solve it, there is really no reason for them to not try everything (and charge me for it).

ohoh - the first mechanic suggested taking it into the dealership. He admitted he is not super familiar with hybrid cars and didn’t think he would be able to diagnose it more than the cylinder misfires and swapping the coils. There is another auto shop in town that has worked on my mother in laws cars a few dozen times and seems trustworthy. Ive thought about seeing if he would offer an opinion. I know it is hard to do that without seeing the vehicle and my only hesitation is I really do not want to spend more money on diagnostics which only tell me the same codes the dealership found and charged me for.

Vinnyg- I asked about the recall you mentioned and the dealership said according to their records my car is all up to date on any recalls that were issued. There is no outstanding or known issues with the car.

As a bit of an update, I spoke with the dealership again and am dropping the car off today, again. They offered to do a ‘curtesy’ check to confirm the current engine light issue is still the same problem and that the last round of repairs didn’t resolve it. They said they will do everything they can to narrow it down to being the cad before they give me an estimate on replacing it.

i realize it will come down to either I spend the money to get the repairs done or cut my losses and trade the car in. I personally believe my issue is a design flaw with the car. If nothing else, hopefully this information will be useful to someone else. it has definitely made me rethink purchasing an extended warranty on any future car.

·
Registered
13 Posts

autospark - I agree with you. Unfortunately, the out of warranty part really kills me because I can’t just keep taking it to them until they figure out what the problem is, and while I do think my local dealership is not out to bleed me dry and they do want to solve it, there is really no reason for them to not try everything (and charge me for it).

ohoh - the first mechanic suggested taking it into the dealership. He admitted he is not super familiar with hybrid cars and didn’t think he would be able to diagnose it more than the cylinder misfires and swapping the coils. There is another auto shop in town that has worked on my mother in laws cars a few dozen times and seems trustworthy. Ive thought about seeing if he would offer an opinion. I know it is hard to do that without seeing the vehicle and my only hesitation is I really do not want to spend more money on diagnostics which only tell me the same codes the dealership found and charged me for.

Vinnyg- I asked about the recall you mentioned and the dealership said according to their records my car is all up to date on any recalls that were issued. There is no outstanding or known issues with the car.

As a bit of an update, I spoke with the dealership again and am dropping the car off today, again. They offered to do a ‘curtesy’ check to confirm the current engine light issue is still the same problem and that the last round of repairs didn’t resolve it. They said they will do everything they can to narrow it down to being the cad before they give me an estimate on replacing it.

i realize it will come down to either I spend the money to get the repairs done or cut my losses and trade the car in. I personally believe my issue is a design flaw with the car. If nothing else, hopefully this information will be useful to someone else. it has definitely made me rethink purchasing an extended warranty on any future car.
BTW, I'm guessing that you have watched the YouTube videos searching for:
p302 code Hyundai
Spending an hour watching might just trigger a something to say "that's it!"

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
You can get aftermarket manifold/cats on ebay for under $200. Worked for my Accent with the P0420. And it was clogged too as the gas mileage came back up about 3-5 mpg.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Sometimes that P0420 is BS code too! On a Camry I had, there was a CEL for this code often but the CAT still worked and the vehicle passed smog. I would have to reset the code and it would pass... I ended up spacing this 2nd O2 sensor out from the exhaust stream a bit to solve the annoying and recurring CEL... The 2nd O2 sensor is a tattle tail is all for if the CAT is "working" or not based on programmed parameters.. That is the P0420 code. However, the OP said Bank 1 sensor 1 and seems to be the first O2 sensor which is what is used to control the injection system so if that was a problem then the downstream could certainly be damaged for sure...

·
Registered
13 Posts

FYI...

·
Registered
397 Posts
The Prius is ugly and small, and almost always has been.
His judgement on the repair is purely visual.
It should have been compared to the Camry Hybrid. Is he blind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts