Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been in the hospital all summer, major surgery. Wife was driving to avoid a so called accident and had to slam on the brakes that caused the CEL to come on.

The ECU looks at the temperature sensor and if it look low, actually it reads lower then a preset amount, and after a unspecified engine warm up period, the EPA is a bit concerned emissions will increase triggering the CEL.

This is also a type A code and does not reset if the problem goes away. Ironically when I first purchased this Limited over two years ago, with thermostat heater problems and very low coolant temperatures.

Wife called the dealer and said they would replaced the thermostat. Wife was working and trying to take care of me, and only open during hours when normal people have to work.

Took out my scanner and precision temperature tester, running at 195*F, reset the code over a month ago and it never came back. Told the dealer no sense in repairing something that ain't broke, agreed.

Figure slamming the on brakes caused a computer glitch. But if it is the thermostat, have another 8 years to get it replaced.

Told I am lucky to be alive, recovery takes a long time.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Been in the hospital all summer, major surgery. Wife was driving to avoid a so called accident and had to slam on the brakes that caused the CEL to come on.

The ECU looks at the temperature sensor and if it look low, actually it reads lower then a preset amount, and after a unspecified engine warm up period, the EPA is a bit concerned emissions will increase triggering the CEL.

This is also a type A code and does not reset if the problem goes away. Ironically when I first purchased this Limited over two years ago, with thermostat heater problems and very low coolant temperatures.

Wife called the dealer and said they would replaced the thermostat. Wife was working and trying to take care of me, and only open during hours when normal people have to work.

Took out my scanner and precision temperature tester, running at 195*F, reset the code over a month ago and it never came back. Told the dealer no sense in repairing something that ain't broke, agreed.

Figure slamming the on brakes caused a computer glitch. But if it is the thermostat, have another 8 years to get it replaced.

Told I am lucky to be alive, recovery takes a long time.
Glad to hear that you are doing OK!

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bacteroides fragilis is a bacteria our colons are loaded with, if just a small bit gets into our blood stream causes major infections. Was feeling fine, then a real high fever that knocked me unconscious, wife found me lying on the garage floor got me to ER

Nine weeks in the hospital, two major surgeries, two incisions on my front and back. Got out two months ago, still another four months to recover.

Had no idea our creator made us so vulnerable. Have to learn how to walk again.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Every day you have good health is a gift. Never know what will happen the next moment.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
If it was one of the VIN that did not get thermostat replace early on,, replace it with the most current part.. we seen a lot that was not rcall come in with 128 DTC, we just replace t-stat, refill, and do bleed procedure in GDS as called in recall instructions

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ECU cannot look at the thermostat, but can look at the engine coolant temperature sensor, so it can be this sensor as well, or a slightly erratic electrical connection.

Its output voltage is compared to a fixed reference also with a time delay, if the voltage does not fall within a unspecified period of time where proper operating temperature is not reached, that P0128 code will be set.

Ironically when I got this thing in Jume 26, 2016, temperature gauge would never rise, called my dealer, they ordered new thermostat, but was not the problem, negative battery cable was loose not properly setting the ECU kicking on the heater, so cancelled that shop visit.

Did the same thing again, they ordered a new thermostat, but the one in there is working perfectly, and that code never came back, see what happens, but when microcontrollers were invented, so were glitches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts