Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 2,7 V6 4WD Santa Fe. Only 91000 kms. Hot (30-35 C) climate. Coolant level is OK. Mostly in town driving with a/c on. Got a P0115 code yesterday. No other signs of overheating or anything. Engine runs flawlessly. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed. thanks. In the mean time I erased the code to see if it comes back, in which case I will have to change the sensor probably.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Easy enough to check, you could go to an Autozone and have them look at live data on their scanner and see what the temp sensor reads vs. what the gauge says ( unless the gauge isn't showing the proper temps either... Likely you either need a new sensor, or you have an air bubble/pocket that is allowing the sensor to read hot air instead of coolant. Make sure you don't have anything like a low coolant level first. Might be an early indication of something bigger happening. If the coolant level itself is fine, then likely it's simply a sensor replacement that is needed.

·
Registered
17,554 Posts
ECT on the 2.7 is semi-common part replace,, we've had part on shelf for while,, dont recall last 1 I've seen though.. part is a Hyundai-Kia part, so whoever closer to you and have it on hand... fun to get at and change too

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys.

I'm in Congo, Africa, working for the Dutch Government, so no Autozone etc. Almost no spare parts available here. The car came from my home country The Netherlands though some years ago and is in very good condition. Coolant is fine and up to level. Engine has only 90.000 kms and runs fine, smooth and powerful. New brakes, new tires, new filters, Old Man Emu suspension (all imported), synthetic oil (Total) etc etc. I changed the 3 front spark-plugs today just to see how they were and the ones I took out looked normal. Can't get to the rear ones yet and no hurry to do so either. Timing belt was changed at 50.000 kms and the othe belt was changed not long ago either.No rust at all on this car.
However I suspect the CEL could be caused be a stuck open thermostat. Congo has a warm/hot climate, always between 25 and 35 Celsius so if the thermostat would not close, one would never know the difference, since the engine really never runs cold. I have a friend coming over who will bring me an oem thermostat + gasket, a new sensor and new radhoses, all oem, just in case. I will start with the thermostat and see if this clears the code. I will keep you guys posted .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A simple letter might get through probably. My Home Office is very strict. What do you have in mind ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today I noticed a very high idle and shaky ride. It was a rather cool day, not as hot as usual in Kinshasa. If the sensor is giving a false reading the ECU might think its cold outside and adapt idle ? I Will have the sensor and the thermostaat changed next week, as well both rad hoses. Apart from that I would not know what else cold be wrong. I will keep this post updated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had the sensor changed. The code is gone and the engine runs as smooth as it should do. I will check how fuel consumpties is affecte, it should be beter now.
Thanks for all your helpful replies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive had this code on and off and its making me want to part ways with the car.
I took it to the autoshop and that was the error some 4 months ago, I was asked to buy a new ECT sensor to fix the fault. It was ok for about 2 weeks. After that I had a crankshaft sensor error code. And that was worse. Difficult to start. high fuel consumption, high idling, and jerks. After replacing the crankshaft sensor, it was ok . After a while I got a Throttle position sensor error code.
Upon trying another mechanic he opened the throtle body and said there were carbon build up. So he cleaned it. But it was not a deep clean to my satisfaction, but he insisted it will be fine. And indeed the cars movement changed. Driving it was smooth afterwards and i realised i was getting better millage now.

Only for me to start experiencing jerks again and poor driving. When i did an obd2 scan i had the P0115 error coming again. Mean while it was already existing with the TPS (Throtlle Position Sensor) error code but when the carbon was cleaned both codes got cleared without the help of a scanner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts