Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was hoping if anyone can help me out. I have this check engine code P0106 which is for the MAP sensor. What happens is the check engine light comes on, and idle rev is at 1500rpm, if I put it in D or R, it's at 1000rpm, but you can feel the car wants to start moving right away due to increased engine rev. I first originally cleaned the MAP sensor with electric cleaner, which did not work, then I actually purchased an OEM replacement which did not help either. Same issue. There are no signs of air leak that I can find. I did clean out my throttle body (all of this is done with negative terminal off battery) and replaced the throttle body gasket just for good measure, but the engine still revs out to 1500 in idle (P or N). Car runs well when in drive, but you can feel the transmission shifting earlier than it should and you feel a sudden rush in acceleration with foot off gas early on. There is no rough idle (no variability), just revs up to 1500 rpm. Have any suggestions? I was thinking about getting another MAP sensor, but they're expensive, unless I buy cheap generic ones. Thank you for your advice!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Some have mentioned this code when changing their battery...and it went away after a while.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some have mentioned this code when changing their battery...and it went away after a while.
Hi, thanks for the reply..it's not the code I'm really worried about, but that the engine revs to 1500rpm at idle, as if someone is always pressing the gas pedal no matter what...

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
First thing. You can't clean map sensors. Will your scantool read live data? If so see what reading you get from the map with key on engine off. Post back what you get.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First thing. You can't clean map sensors. Will your scantool read live data? If so see what reading you get from the map with key on engine off. Post back what you get.
71FAB157-9AEE-497F-8094-548701FCB1A0.png

This is with engine off and key in on position

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The following is after I turned on the engine in sequence... my app is free so it would only allow me 2 data info at a time... One of the data was always the MAP sensor and the rest are data I thought may have been of interest..
15AF7243-7C4D-4B2E-AE34-F0E7FBC18DF3.png
18DBAA7D-3F43-4760-9490-6E9FA06E2EC7.png
CBEE5685-F568-4CC0-8525-3DDEBA628310.png
90E26EA1-F9C0-417F-ABCB-04584E784C55.png
161DD5E9-B6A2-4AB8-91B3-51A13AE69492.png
2BCCA3AA-1823-4143-ABCF-6D96D3291AED.png

Attachments

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Looking at your first snapshot you have 14.5 psi which is a good reading depending on your altitude but a 16% throttle opening. I gather this all started after you took the throttle body off and cleaned it. Being drive by wire I really can't advise without playing around myself but it does seem high to me. Some cars need to have the throttle reset after removing them but I don't think Hyundai cars do. As previously mentioned a drive might reset it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The temperature sensor could often be near the water thermostat housing but on the block side.
Its the cheapest sensor to change.
If it tells your computer the temp is -40 degrees, not the actual +40 degrees, then the computer sends a lot more gas to the cylinders. Its a small sensor that can cause a lot of misery.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,367 Posts
where is the temp sensor? thanks
If the temp sensor was faulty it wouldn't be logging a MAP code.

Your MAP value is correct when the engine is off, so I think we can assume the sensor and it's circuit are good.
The value when the engine is running doesn't look good to me though. Before you start the engine the pressure in the manifold is 14.5psia and drops to about 8psia when it's at idle. That's a drop of only 6.5psi, which is equivalent to a gauge pressure of 13"Hg (inches of mercury). All the text books tell us that an engine should pull about 20"Hg at idle. So it looks to me like there is more air entering the manifold that there should be. Is that because there is a vacuum leak or because the throttle valve isn't closing properly? It's difficult to say from static scan data.

As charlescrown said, your throttle position looks a little on the high side. That could mean the valve isn't able to fully close, which would allow excess air into the manifold. But it could also just be the result of the engine temperature, which we can't see on your scan data. You really need to test this when the engine is hot.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Top of the list is temp sensor. Next is vacuum leak. But I bet on the sensor.
where is the temp sensor? thanks
If the temp sensor was faulty it wouldn't be logging a MAP code.

Your MAP value is correct when the engine is off, so I think we can assume the sensor and it's circuit are good.
The value when the engine is running doesn't look good to me though. Before you start the engine the pressure in the manifold is 14.5psia and drops to about 8psia when it's at idle. That's a drop of only 6.5psi, which is equivalent to a gauge pressure of 13"Hg (inches of mercury). All the text books tell us that an engine should pull about 20"Hg at idle. So it looks to me like there is more air entering the manifold that there should be. Is that because there is a vacuum leak or because the throttle valve isn't closing properly? It's difficult to say from static scan data.

As charlescrown said, your throttle position looks a little on the high side. That could mean the valve isn't able to fully close, which would allow excess air into the manifold. But it could also just be the result of the engine temperature, which we can't see on your scan data. You really need to test this when the engine is hot.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated
yeah that's my guess too (valve isn't closed all the way), i don't think i have an airleak because i assembled and reassembled correctly the air system from throttle body out multiple times, and i made sure everything was secured...unfortunately same issue everytime...if i broke the throttle body, why is it giving me a MAP sensor code? thanks bud

1 - 20 of 69 Posts