Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a '13 Elantra GLS 1.8L USA built for a family member. Car runs fine, but does have a short knock when starting cold. Will drive fine with plenty of smooth power until the engine gets hot. Then it will stall when coming to idle and throw the P0017 code. When I looked it over, it was 2 qts low on oil. I change the oil, cleaned both cam sensors and cleaned both intake & exhaust oil control valves. The intake was not bad, however the exhaust had a shiny 1/8" piece of thin metal on one of the screens. Just road tested and the stalling at idle continued once the engine got hot. Next thought was that the timing chain or tensioner was stretched/bad. Thinking once the engine got hot, the slight expansion of the chain was enough to throw the cam timing out of spec? Good idea, or does someone suggest a different route? I am a little concerned about the engine noise at start up, the oil consumption, and the metal on the OCV, but car seems to run perfectly normal until hot. Thanks for your time, Doug

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
My search of DTC P0017 says it is related to the crankshaft sensor (not cam sensor)
It isn't unusual for the crankshaft sensor to fail under heat
So, ....
Please test before replacing.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts