Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the timing belt on my sisters car and finished yesterday and drove it today. A check engine light came on so I went to check it out and P0016 popped up. I've done some research and people say that it might be that the timing belt is misaligned or loose. I tightened the belt not too tight but not too loose. Note: I also spilled coolant on the crankshaft pulley and a bit on the belt itself. The car idles rough when driving too. Any help is appreciated. I will tomorrow take off the cover and check the tension of the belt.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Chances are you got the timing belt off a tooth. You need to take the top timing belt cover off only and check the alignment marks again. Set bottom crank to TDC and check the top.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
This happened to me the first time I did the belt. The second time it also would have happened but I caught the fact that the cam timing mark was advanced when I tightened everything up.

You need to be sure, when you apply tension to the belt that the belt is very tight on the right had side. Any slack on the right hand side will turn the cam gear when you let the tensioner loose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chances are you got the timing belt off a tooth. You need to take the top timing belt cover off only and check the alignment marks again. Set bottom crank to TDC and check the top.
Thanks for replying.

How do I set it the crank to TDC? with all the belts on. Would I have to take everything apart again?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This happened to me the first time I did the belt. The second time it also would have happened but I caught the fact that the cam timing mark was advanced when I tightened everything up.

You need to be sure, when you apply tension to the belt that the belt is very tight on the right had side. Any slack on the right hand side will turn the cam gear when you let the tensioner loose.
Thanks for replying.

I tightened the belt and it didn't change, the problem was still there.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
The way I set the engine to TDC was to take out he plugs, in the #1 cylinder (closest to the timing belt) I put in a long handled screwdriver. Then turned the motor over by hand until the screwdriver was all the way up and the timing mark on the crank matched up. Then make sure the timing mark on the cam is lined up too.

If you don't have the belt on don't do this as it will push the piston into the valves.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The way I set the engine to TDC was to take out he plugs, in the #1 cylinder (closest to the timing belt) I put in a long handled screwdriver. Then turned the motor over by hand until the screwdriver was all the way up and the timing mark on the crank matched up. Then make sure the timing mark on the cam is lined up too.

If you don't have the belt on don't do this as it will push the piston into the valves.
Thanks, I took the pulley out and set it to TDC and noticed it is off by one notch! Now what I am going to do is line up the crankshaft to TDC then loosen the belt and line up the camshaft to the notch.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Usually, as in my Elantra, they still have timing marks on the main pulley and the timing belt cover, so it's a snap for me to find TDC. I'd be surprised if you didn't have them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts