Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a MIL the other night, took my Tucson home, next day not check engine light on. I took my car to AutoZone and was scanned, on the report code P0001 showed up, my engine was not sounding right, when I checked my oil dipstick I was missing 2 1/2 quarts of oil, I changed oil 5000 miles ago with Mobil 1 synthetic, my car only has 43000 miles, I checked on the floor for oil leaks, around my oil filter and no oil was present. Taking my car to the dealer on Saturday but I want to know if anybody experienced something similar and what the dealer told you on the issue.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Not a valid code per Hyundai Tech Info site via dealer login

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
P0011 is a camshaft position error code. If the engine was that low on oil, it may have had a problem changing the cam timing far enough so that the computer's intended position and the actual cam position didn't match, which will set the code.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
https://www.autocodes.com/p0011_hyundai.html

Did you check oil level right after the oil change, preferably before you left the shop?
How many times did you check it in those 5,000 miles?
I recommend at least every 1000 miles, more if it's a confirmed oil burner.
One qt per 2,000 miles is inconvenient, but within what the car makers consider normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is why I am puzzled, only 5000 miles and it burned that much oil. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
The dealer will tell you that a quart every 1000 miles is there standard for oil loss before they will do anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really, that much oil. No even my old Toyota Celica burned that much oil between changes, at most one quart.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Really, that much oil. No even my old Toyota Celica burned that much oil between changes, at most one quart.
Old Celica had better tension on rings, wider too,, and wider oil control rings..

89 Celica 5 speeder to 373,000 mile,, went through at 355 due to couple burnt ex valves give me misfre and lowered my engine power

·
Registered
846 Posts
My car has over 60k miles on it, I don't burn anywhere near that much oil. I check by changing the oil and putting the old oil back into the 5qt jug. At most, it's <1qt low in the jug after 5k miles.

Did you change the oil drain plug washer at every oil change?? Make sure the coolant is still nice and clean and doesn't smell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Long story short; took it to the dealership and they stated that my Tucson has sludge which I hardly believe that is the case if they didn't remove the head cover just to confirm that but they did a compression test, recommended changing the oil, which I did couple of days before taking my car there with full synthetic oil and OEM filter but still I had to change my oil, now they are suggesting to take my car there for oil change every 1000 miles for three or 4 times to see if this solves the problem, also the OCV valve was cleaned, I was charged $129.00 for 0.5 hours labor plus the oil change.

If this continues I will trade this car for another brand in the next year or so, I really like it but I don't want a headache down the road plus they also said Hyundai may not cover the warranty if maintenance was neglected, I am the second owner so I don't have records of the previous maintenance.

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you're losing oil that quickly, then the oil you do have will get recirculated much more quickly, exponentially accelerating it's breakdown as the oil pan gets lower. Unfortunately most cars only have an oil pressure sensor and not a level sensor. When oil pressure drops, you're basically completely out of oil.

Now as far as your particular car, who knows chicken or the egg. The root cause could be the excessive oil consumption, which in turns causes lower oil levels which breaks it all down quicker and depositing sludge. Or neglect from the previous owner caused sludge build up, and perhaps cause another component, piston rings or seal in the engine to consume more oil.

Either way, I'd trade the problem to someone else. This is why I like buying brand new, because I know I take care of my stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts