Hyundai Forums banner

Oxygen Sensor P0160 P0159 Codes

25K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  canderson 
#1 ·
QUOTE (canderson @ Jun 11 2010, 02:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332118
The P0160 code (it's for the O2 sensor that is downstream of the Bank 2 catalytic converter)
I looked at the engine and found 3 o2 sensors, two that can be accessed from the top of the engine and one that accessed from the bottom of the engine toward the front. Am I correct to assume that the bank 2 sensor 2 is the one located at the front bottom?

Thanks,

#2 ·
QUOTE (RubiconTX @ Jun 12 2010, 08:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=332284
I looked at the engine and found 3 o2 sensors, two that can be accessed from the top of the engine and one that accessed from the bottom of the engine toward the front. Am I correct to assume that the bank 2 sensor 2 is the one located at the front bottom?

Thanks,
Bank 1 is against the firewall. Bank 2 is the one closest to the grill.

Sensor 1 is between the exhaust manifold and the cat converter. Sensor 2 is downstream of the cat converter. You should see a total of 4, two for each bank.

So yes - the sensor in the exhaust from the front bank of cylinders, past the cat converter -- that would be Bank 2 Sensor 2.

Both the P0159 and P0160 codes point to that sensor. I'd consider a wiring issue if it was just the 0160, but the 0159 indicates a sluggish sensor. It's probably toast, but I'd still check the connection first.

#4 ·
Hello all, I have a question. I just received these 2 codes and nothing ran different. So I drove for a couple of days and the engine light turned off. When I ran another diagnostic the po159 code had been cleared on its own. I have had the issue in the past with my 06 Santa fe and it actually(fixed)itself. I just went ahead and cleared the code. My question is, just because one part of a sensor has a temporary glitch, does that mean that the sensor would need to be replaced or could it just be a computer glitch that resests itself?

#5 ·
It wouldn't clear the code by itself. The code will remain in memory until cleared.

If the light goes away, then it means it hasn't detected the error in a specified amount of time, and turns the light off.

Chances are it will come back. Either the O2 sensor has a problem, the wiring is bad, or you have an exhaust leak.

#6 ·
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 5 2010, 08:31 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338932
It wouldn't clear the code by itself. The code will remain in memory until cleared.

If the light goes away, then it means it hasn't detected the error in a specified amount of time, and turns the light off.

Chances are it will come back. Either the O2 sensor has a problem, the wiring is bad, or you have an exhaust leak.
I figured as much. I took it in and they had to replace an o2 sensor. Not bad for 51k on the clock. Thats the first time It's seen the dealer since new.

#7 ·
Hello can someone advise if there is built in redundancy with these sensors. If one fails do they all not work or is the control system designed so that if three of four are returning expected data the data from the fourth is neglected? My engine light just came on and my second oxygen sensor seems to have a problem. I did not ask the garge guy the exact code. He reset it and said we will see if the code comes back. The mechanic said these sensors have a heater and if that does not heat up fast enough they sometimes send a problem signal. Is the heater integral to the sensor or located upstream of the sensor. Any feedback on this matter would be helpful.

thanks

#8 ·
Hello can someone advise if there is built in redundancy with these sensors. If one fails do they all not work or is the control system designed so that if three of four are returning expected data the data from the fourth is neglected?
There is NO redundancy between sensors. Each side of the engine has 2, one upstream from the catalytic converter and one downstream. O2 sensors with heaters have them integrated into the device.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.