Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

My Elantra is at 7,100 miles right now. I'm not under the "severe usage" so the 7.5k check will be my first one.

When is the proper time to get the maintenance in order to not void the warranty?

Does it have to be done at exactly 7.5k? Can it be done at 7.4k? How about 7,501 miles? Would this void the warranty?

Another thing, the 7.5k checklist says to add fuel additive. I only fill my car with top tier gas. Per the thread in this forum titled "Top tier gas and fuel additives", a fuel additive is not necessary in this case.

Question: I have a service contract with my dealer. If the fuel additive is covered under the contract, should I take it or decline it?

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Go ahead and change the oil anytime before the 7500 interval. Technically you don't void the warranty if you go over but that's another discussion. If the fuel additive is covered at no cost then by all means use it. If not then it's up to you. I personally do a fuel additive once a year a few weeks before my fall oil change.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
someguy: Thanks, based on your response, it seems getting your service past the 7.5k is not a deal breaker on the warranty.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
No technically a dealer can't void warranty unless they prove failure was caused by not changing oil. If this is your first oil change though I would definitely take it in soon. I did my first few oil changes early then went to 7500 mile or 6 months. There are lots of wear metals and even some small metal bits in the oil from manufacturing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts