Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

So I've got a 2001 Accent, and the other day, the temp gauge went way hot.

Pulled over, and felt a slight knocking or tapping underneath the driver's side pedals. Some knocking, but maybe something was trying to pump and not getting through? Anyway, saw that the coolant reservoir was full, over full, in fact. Let it sit for about an hour, came back, and the coolant level had dropped to below L, almost nothing.

No leaks under the car, so I filled it up with coolant, half-way, between F and L... exactly 50% full.

Started overheating again about 15 minutes later, and I check it and see that the reservoir is now again, over full. I let it cool down a bit and popped open the plastic cap to the reservoir and immediately, the coolant level started dropping and I heard it flowing down into a VERY thirsty radiator. It took the full tank.

So I put another 1/2 tank of coolant into the reservoir, but wondering if anyone could help me out with what's going on here. Is it a pressure problem? Once I popped the plastic cap, the coolant went straight into the radiator... so the hose TO the radiator is fine, at least with the engine off. The overflow hose seems clear as well, although I guess I can check that again.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
448 Posts
QUOTE (shannamaganna99 @ Aug 22 2010, 10:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351187
Hey folks,

So I've got a 2001 Accent, and the other day, the temp gauge went way hot.

Pulled over, and felt a slight knocking or tapping underneath the driver's side pedals. Some knocking, but maybe something was trying to pump and not getting through? Anyway, saw that the coolant reservoir was full, over full, in fact. Let it sit for about an hour, came back, and the coolant level had dropped to below L, almost nothing.

No leaks under the car, so I filled it up with coolant, half-way, between F and L... exactly 50% full.

Started overheating again about 15 minutes later, and I check it and see that the reservoir is now again, over full. I let it cool down a bit and popped open the plastic cap to the reservoir and immediately, the coolant level started dropping and I heard it flowing down into a VERY thirsty radiator. It took the full tank.

So I put another 1/2 tank of coolant into the reservoir, but wondering if anyone could help me out with what's going on here. Is it a pressure problem? Once I popped the plastic cap, the coolant went straight into the radiator... so the hose TO the radiator is fine, at least with the engine off. The overflow hose seems clear as well, although I guess I can check that again.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
I'm wondering if you had tried to drain and re-fill or had some work done on the cooling system recently because your description suggests that there's a lot of air in the system that wasn't removed properly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2002 Accent has been over heating problems lately too. And no water on the ground under the car either!

We replaced the thermostat, and it still over heated. There was a slow drip from the bottom big hose, but the drip never hit the ground. Apparently it was hitting something hot and evaporating. We replaced the hose and thought all was fixed, but still over heating.

We replaced the radiator cap and replaced a relay switch. Now both fans on the radiator are working and so far it's been good. We're crossing our fingers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can have the rad cap tested, but for the price, simply replace it and see if it's that simple. Idle the car with the pressure cap off until the thermostat opens (you'll see this in the coolant circulation in the rad) as you may actually have air in the system. The air should burp free and you can top off the coolant and install that shiny new cap.

While you're snooping around under the hood, make sure you have no fluid crossover which would be signs of oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (RACEGUY @ Sep 5 2010, 02:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354471
You can have the rad cap tested, but for the price, simply replace it and see if it's that simple. Idle the car with the pressure cap off until the thermostat opens (you'll see this in the coolant circulation in the rad) as you may actually have air in the system. The air should burp free and you can top off the coolant and install that shiny new cap.

While you're snooping around under the hood, make sure you have no fluid crossover which would be signs of oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil.
Nice post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts