Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a 2011 sonata gls that seems to overheat every once in a while. it happened first after a 2 hour cruise on the insterstate (rally so i exceeded 120 and averaged +85mph) after we parked and we started up to go to the next stage i noticed my temp was at 2 o'clock (this is after the car had been sitting for 30min or so, off) and while sitting at a long red light it went all the way to right (hot) so i turned my a/c off and eventually turned my car off to prevent damage (it returned to normal after a minute of interstate driving) . since then it seems to overheat when idleing after driving it hard.

I noticed my radiator fan doesnt turn on normally but havent checked it when the engine was above normal temp, when should our fans turn on (so i can check if it doesnt work)?
i have 1200 miles left on warranty so i want to use it up if possible

thanks!

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
well the fan should be kicking on long before you start to overheat! fan sounds like the issue. question is if its a problem with the fan motor, temp sensor, or the relay is trashed. pretty easy to diagnose if you have some test leads and a multimeter and know what you're up to. should be able to start up the fan by applying battery voltage directly to it. the relay is easy, swap with another non essential relay like the horn. check your fuses. for the temp sensor you'd have to look up what the resistance values are of that sensor at any given temperature. there's probably a graph hiding somewhere on www.hmaservice.com. they're just a variable resister that changes resistance with heat - a bad one doesn't want to change or doesn't flow current at all.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Turn a/c on, this should force the fan to come on. If it doesn't come on its likely a bad fan motor.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
On my Genesis Coupe the lo speed fan is the only one the ECU turns on for engine cooling. The hi speed is only for AC, the AC uses the lo speed too but the ECU will not turn the hi speed on for engine cooling.

The lo speed voltage dropping resistor (if you have one) may be burnt up. Mine is mounted inside the fan shroud where the electrical connector is.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
On my Genesis Coupe the lo speed fan is the only one the ECU turns on for engine cooling. The hi speed is only for AC, the AC uses the lo speed too but the ECU will not turn the hi speed on for engine cooling.

The lo speed voltage dropping resistor (if you have one) may be burnt up. Mine is mounted inside the fan shroud where the electrical connector is.
I'm assuming your Genesis has dual fans. The Sonata has a single fan.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
No it is a single fan. It's a stupid engineering mistake to only have engine cooling via the lo speed fan. Ford made the same mistake in the 90's.

You can test the low speed resistor if you want or just let the car idle with the AC off and watch the fan to see if it comes on.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I messed with (shook) the wires that run to the fan and it clicked and now works! Loose connection I guess.

Reactions: himilcyclr

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
glad to see i nailed that one :)

you might have a break inside one of the wires, once the fan gets running shake the s*it out of it some more. try to make it fail again. that way you might be able to pinpoint where the break is and repair it.

fix is easy. cut wire to remove break, solder new section in and seal with shrink wrap. there's other ways too, that's just my method. i usually use the shrink wrap with glue in it to make best seal possible.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Van---you ever have the coolant changed in your car or added any? Only reason I ask is that the fan, while helpful to control the coolant temp, should not be that essential to preventing an overheat condition.

On older cars, the fan relays tended to go without warning and, unless there was a bubble in the cooling system and you were driving in really hot temps, you wouldn't get so hot as to overheat the car. As long as you have air flowing through the rad fins, you are actively reducing the temp of your coolant.

Idling and AC use do tend to make the condition worse and you are in FL, so the fan may very well be the only issue causing this.

You can easily check for air in the system by burping the hoses. Do this with a cool car, start the engine, remove the rad cap, and squeeze the upper and lower hoses. If there is any air, you will get it out this way.

I would also recommend you have your cooling system checked just in case there is a deeper issue. Besides, you have a 2011 and are probably coming up on the coolant change interval (60K). Cheap insurance to prevent further breakdowns/damage to your engine.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Only reason I ask is that the fan, while helpful to control the coolant temp, should not be that essential to preventing an overheat condition.
when the vehicle is at idle, you better believe that the fan is essential! there's no airflow through the rad and the vehicle will overheat without that fan in no time. this sounds like the the case if you read over the first post.

not to say that i'm trying to say don't service the coolant system - quite the opposite actually. just solve the known problems first.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I hate to say it, but a blown head gasket will cause overheating problems like this. Have the coolant checked for exhaust gases & oil. Also look at the oil, if it looks like light brown cream or the level has gone UP then it might be a head gasket problem.

Conversely, an overheating incident can cause a blown head gasket.It is best to NEVER let the engine temp approach max on the gauge.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
although overheating can cause head warping and BHG, why are we getting ahead of ourselves here guys??

all you're doing is fear mongering. the OP has had a problem with his rad fan, which has been fixed. he may have no other issues with any luck.

take one problem at a time. if there is something else, it'll become apparent soon enough.

leave the poor guy alone for now. he's had enough with that fan.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
although overheating can cause head warping and BHG, why are we getting ahead of ourselves here guys??

all you're doing is fear mongering. the OP has had a problem with his rad fan, which has been fixed. he may have no other issues with any luck.

take one problem at a time. if there is something else, it'll become apparent soon enough.

leave the poor guy alone for now. he's had enough with that fan.
Lol thanks, I have resolved my problem so thanks everyone but it was just a simple fan wiring harness.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Awesome and good to hear it was simple.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im Having the same issue and need help, for some reason the fan needs a push to help get it running and then it slows down to the point that the ac is no longer cooling. Ive punished the car by idling with the AC on a bunch so i think this may a lot to do with it. Ive changed the relays shook the cables and nothing. I have a 2011 sonata as well. The fan assembly costs nearly 500 bucks and i dont think its the fan since it does work at times. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
If the fan needs a push to get going then it sounds like a weak fan motor to me.

·
Senior Menmber
2,134 Posts
Im Having the same issue and need help, for some reason the fan needs a push to help get it running and then it slows down to the point that the ac is no longer cooling. Ive punished the car by idling with the AC on a bunch so i think this may a lot to do with it. Ive changed the relays shook the cables and nothing. I have a 2011 sonata as well. The fan assembly costs nearly 500 bucks and i dont think its the fan since it does work at times. Any suggestions?
You can get a fan motor assemble at a junk yard for a lot less than $500.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
If the fan needs help to start spinning it either has bad bearings, brushes or low voltage.

I'd be looking at the voltage first. Bearings you should be able to tell with the fan off and spinning by hand.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2007 Hyundai Entourage, and it keeps overheating while idle, I've had hoses changed, new water pump put in, and the sensors newly put in as well. I don't know what else to do, or think with this reoccurring issue. Please help me understand what could be the next step i should take before more very costly repairs need to be done.
Thanks Kimberly C.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts