Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have hyundai i25 (Accent) 2018 with 5200 km (new car)
I have a question regarding oil. I was at my garage 2-3 months ago and they did a yearly maintenance to my car.
2 days ago i noticed a burning oil smell after i hit 3000rpms . In 2000-2500 rpms i did not notice any smell.
I noticed that my car act and drives strangely so i decided to check this.
I checked my oil in the morning and in the evening and notice that they overfilled the oil ... and i did not check it in time :(

How is the situation is bad ? I did 600-700 km in this car after yearly maintenance .

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yea, not catastrophic, perhaps they spilled oil on engine and that is what you are smelling. Check the oil when engine is cold on a flat surface and see how high over the fill it is, A little over the fill mark will not casue any damage. Yearly oil change, not much driving done.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
It looks to be nearly a quart over...won't that cause oil foaming and poor lubrication? :unsure:

·
Registered
73 Posts
How does one KNOW for sure that the overfilling started at the oil change place. How serious / likely is the gas contamination issue??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello everyone,
Thanks to everyone for all the support!

I added couple more pic from today - on cold card and on straight road (on parking).
DarrenBach Its seems its more than 1.5-2 cm from F level.
[B]grcauto[/B] Yeap , looks very clear to me without any "external", smells just a bit of burnt without baubles on it.
[B]Miningman1[/B] This car is new one and i checked regularly the oil level from the firs 1km, every couple of weeks. In the week of maintenance i needed to go abroad and i just forgot to check the oils and other staff . After the first maintenance in official Hyundai garage in my country they need to change oils , filters and etc according the manual book. I think that they did changed oil and overfill it or did not change the oil filter and overfilled it too ...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Run the engine until fully warm. Take it to 3500 rpm for 1 minute. Turn off and check oil. No foam, you are good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Run the engine until fully warm. Take it to 3500 rpm for 1 minute. Turn off and check oil. No foam, you are good.
To test it after the garage will change\lower the oil in the oil tank or in this current situation that oil is above F level ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's much too full , close to a quart . Take car for a good drive , pull into parking lot , turn off engine and quickly check oil dipstick for bubbles . I'd have the oil and filter changed . The car takes 3+1/2 quarts . I'd rather have slightly below or over the FULL mark . Leaving that much oil in it could void the warranty if something occurs . We just went through this scenario with a car dealer . They even went as far as not changing the oil filter as agreed upon . Need to check work performed on your vehicles . Take a look at my finding after oil change for our '18 ACCENT . Took the picture and went back to dealer to present the picture . https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/may-want-to-check-vehicle-after-oil-change-by-others.656481/ .

·
Registered
393 Posts
that's too much Oil Proper Oil Level belongs at F mark no higher take some out before it starts puting pressure on gaskets and seals,! & cause Leaks down the road.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have to admit,
While I hate it when places overfill the oil, and in my opinion they are given typically a 1 quart range which is acceptable and yet some how still can't manage to get it right. The dealer keeps doing this with my wife's Toyota Sienna. It calls for 6.5 quarts, so really anything 5.5 to 6.5 would be "correct" but they put 7........

But,
Putting pressure on seals and gaskets and will cause a leak down the road?
That's really pushing it in my opinion. Where is this increase in pressure coming from. The half an inch higher level? If even filling the engine literally to the valve cover would increase pressure enough at any gasket or seal to cause premature wear they need to redesign it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts