Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife had my 1500 mile "break in oil" changed today on my SE at the dealer. I am really meticulous when it comes to my cars, and I really hate letting someone else change my oil... but I digress...
I go out to check their work tonight, and find oil dripped ALL over the plastic engine shroud, and so I decide to check the dipstick, and find that they have overfilled the crankcase by 3/8" above the full mark on the dipstick.

Now, I know the dangers of overfilling (crankshaft hitting oil, foaming it, not allowing it to pump through the motor). Does anyone know how far you would have to overfill for this to happen? Is 3/8" enough? My assumption is there is more room for error than 3/8", but I don't want to find out the hard way.

·
Registered
550 Posts
3/8th inch probably translates to about a 1/2 quart too much oil. Based on my readings, you need to overfill the oil buy at least two quarts before it reaches the crank shaft and froths. I would not worry one bit. But if that doesn't help, you can always get under your car and remove the oil filter. Drain the oil from the filter and then screw it back on. It will probably bring the oil level back down to the full line on the dip stick.

Buy the way, do not attempt to loosen the oil plug just enough to let some oil drip out until that 1/2 quart leaves the engine. The problem that creates is that oil would fill the plug's threads. When you retighten the plug, the oil can remain wedged in those threads and prevent it from tightening correctly. Overtime it can loosen and fall out.

·
Registered
603 Posts
As Blue07 said, youd need quite a bit more oil than that before you have to start worrying about foaming.

Thats not saying that your dealer didnt do a sloppy job. I would definitely let them hear about your dissatisfaction regarding their careless work and let them know that this shakes your confidence in their ability to do something more complicated than an oil change.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks! That's what I hoping, so you've helped set my mind at ease.
I will let the dealership know about the half-assed job. I live 1/2 mile down a dirt road. A little oil spilled equals a big oily dirty mess.

Apparently late in the night, I can't spell Crankcase! (what the heck is a Crainkcase?) :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Humm...

my dealer said to do a 3k break in. I did that, and then i was told 5k was fine. I have my stuff don there. For the 20 bucks the oil change costs, it's not really worth my time to attempt it (i don't have any equipment to change the oil)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just under 3k for the first change and now onto 3k until the free ones run out. Switching to 5w-20w Mobil 1 after that. I will go 5K or so then since that would be about 2-3 months worth of driving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts