Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I searched but was unable to locate this exact issue.

The engine was replaced in my wife's 2011 after the connecting rod bearing failure at 121,956 miles in the 2.4 NA. This is the first Oil change at 3.5k after getting the car back.

Car sat all weekend. Only ran for about two minutes while I backed it up the drive and put the front on ramps at a spot where it was level.

Drained the oil, replaced filter, and recovered 3.9 quarts from the pan and filter.

Pourded in a 5 quart jug of oil. The orange dipstick shows it as being overfilled. It's about an inch and a quarter above the full dot leading me to believe it's about a quart over.

I let it warm up and shut it down for 5 minutes the rechecked. Result was the same.

The oil is very close to the color I put in so I know there wasn't much left after draining leading to an overfill.

Between 5q showing overfilled and only recovering 3.9q, it's causing me to question capacities. I called the dealer and they confirmed a 5q capacity. I've always changed my own oil so this simple task isn't rocket surgery.

The question becomes should I drain to the F dot mark on the stick, knowing dang well that's below capacity, or trust the capacity and question the stick.

Anyway. Wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar result.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I wouldn't go more than a 1/4" over the full mark...the only other thing I can offer you is a measurement from the hilt (bottom of the orange handle) to the F mark, which is 16 inches.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The measured amount that coincides with the published amount advised by Hyundai is the correct amount, regardless of the dipstick reading. Why there is a discrepancy is the question. If you fully drained the engine and then measured in 5 quarts, then it has to be correct. 5 quarts is 5 quarts. Maybe the question is, is the 5 quart number correct, my 1.6 L 2012 Accent calls for 3.5 quarts with a filter (I use Hyundai filters) and that over fills it on the dipstick by about 1/2 inch. But i still measure that much in and don't worry about it. But I'm confident in the amount as I see it in the Hyundai service manual. It isn't rocket science, my Tundra asks for 6.5 quarts with a filter, that fills it exactly according to the dipstick. Same thing on my 1994 Suzuki Metro. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I know I'm not crazy here. Tomorrow I'm going to pull the plug and filter and measure what comes out to see where it stands. If it matches 5q I'm going to put in 4 and check the stick just to see. Regardless I'll be putting 5q back in.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Wasn't there a revised dip stick? I believe the new one is a different colour.
If I remember correctly the original is yellow, after dealer testing it gets orange. New replacement motors are red dipsticked.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'd trust the dipstick.
The 5qt figure might be for a "dry" engine, i.e. after assembly.
Even after draining, oil is left in oil passages and pockets.
When I change oil I always put in a qt less than expected, run the engine a couple minutes to check for leaks, then let it sit an hour or more before checking the dipstick and adding some more.
Then next day check after sitting overnight and add 1 cup to 1/2qt to bring level right to full mark.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Curious since you stated you drained 3.9 qts out, what was the dipstick reading before the drain? Another question, is the drain plug in the front or back of the pan? I know I was suprised on the 1.6T the plug was in the front.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Not a matter of lying. More like guessing rather than spend extra time to do research.
If service writers were highly knowledgeable about cars they would be mechanics.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You should refill oil after a drain and filter change to the Full mark on the dipstick. The oil capacity spec as stated in the service / owners manual is the "maximum" possible value for a dry (new) engine and factory OEM filter. I generally add about 1/2 quart less than than this maximum value and check that the oil level on the dipstick reads between the full and low mark at this time. I then properly top it off to the full mark after a few days of driving.

I fully agree with Circuitsmith in post #9, sounds like we are doing the exact same thing.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
On my 2011 2.4gdi
5.8 qts on a dry engine
4.86 qts for oil and filter change
New dipstick adds .42 quarts to the above numbers

The stated amount is not maximum nothing. Its just a typical amount.

~5.2- 5.3 quarts during an oil and filter change on my 2.4gdi

Let oil pan and filter housing drain for at least 10 minutes while front end is on ramps.

You're leaving too much old oil behind.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here in The Great White North many lubes are available in 5 liter containers (5.28 US quarts). This fills my 2011-2015 Sonatas to the full mark on dipstick with oil and filter change.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts