Hyundai Forums banner

Overdrive?

21K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Bradmyers99 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

So I have written in the past about my crazy fuel consumption in the past. I am currently getting between 12-13L/100km. I was just told by somebody that it may be due to the fact that I am be driving in over drive.
I looked everywhere and cannot find any button for overdrive. Can someone help me out here and tell me where it might be.

Thanks

#2 ·
Overdrive is automatic these days. And no, if you're driving in overdrive you're saving gas. I would check air filter and make sure its clean. I would also run a bottle of fuel system cleaner along with your next fill up. How many miles does the car have on it?

#3 · (Edited)
usually overdrive is to gear down and run the vehicle at lower rpm's. I ran overdrive in my f150 for years for better fuel efficiency. The elantra does not have overdrive (in automatic, i don't know about manual). were are you getting your numbers from. It could be the trip computer is off? Try doing a manual calc. by dividing your fuel consumed by your kilometers from your last fill. I would take it to hyundai service and see if there are any codes popping up, possibly reload the software for the cars computer.

#12 ·
Overdrive doesn't mean anything else than the highest gear on a transmission. It's the gear that provides minimum RPM at highway speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overdrive_(mechanics)
Wrong (sorry).
Some cars do not have overdrive - just drive.
When a vehicle is in 'overdrive', and you are doing, say, 50 miles per hour, and you take your foot off the gas, it feels like the car is coasting in free wheel, without any 'drag'.
When a car is not in overdrive, just drive, when you take your foot off the gas pedal, you immediately feel the car slow down, as the engine compression acts like a brake (somewhat), and your speed goes down quickly. There's no 'coasting' effect.

#7 ·
describe your driving style:
do you accelerate fairly quickly? (ie RPM>2500)
do you coast at all?
city driving?
traffic?
stopping at lights frequently?

12-13 sounds fairly high, almost double what im getting. you might want to investigate further.

But yes, as suggested, check if your ECO button is on. (lower left area on dash relative to steering wheel)

#8 ·
Any gear ratio that is less than 1:1 (ie 0.9:1) is considered overdrive. It's where the engine turns less than the transmission output. Many automatics today have their final gear ratio at less than 1:1 thereby constituting being in overdrive. This applies to manual transmissions as well.
The Sonata's 5th manual and automatic gears are OD while it's the 4th in the 4-speed auto. Toyota's 5th and 6th are both overdrive.

#9 ·
Any gear ratio that is less than 1:1 (ie 0.9:1) is considered overdrive. It's where the engine turns less than the transmission output.
Yes, but this basically means nothing at the wheels. That doesn't take the final gear ratio into account, and also the diameter of the wheels play a role in reducing the RPM.

For example, the automatic Elantra has a 5th gear at 1:1 and 6th gear at 0.774:1 but the final gear ratio is 3.065. The manual Elantra has 3 overdrive gears (4th = 0.976:1, 5th = 0.788:1, 6th = 0.633:1) but the final gear ratio is 4.333.

So at the wheel this gives a ratio of 2.74:1 for the manual and 2.37:1 for the automatic. Yes the automatic will have a lower RPM than the manual while cruising.

#10 · (Edited)
All correct. But we were talking about the definition of overdrive which refers to the transmission action not the whole vehicle.
About the only drives which are 1:1 for "engine" to wheel are electric. Hub drives and trains since electric motors develop their maximum torque at zero RPM and can get away with that ratio.

#13 · (Edited)
I recently rented a Ford van from UHaul and the guy told us to make sure overdrive is only on when you're going over a certain speed- 50mph, I think. Under that speed, you're wasting gas. Damned if overdrive wasn't on automatically every time we started the van, so we had to be vigilant.

So maybe there is something going on with your Elantra's electronics that is messing with your mileage. I wouldn't be surprised since everything is controlled electronically.

#15 · (Edited)
I know this is a really old post but i get 39 miles to the gallon with Eco on in a 6 speed. It's not like ective Eco really it just gives you shift points so if you shift when it tells you to or right before the grease number you will get great mileage and as4 the overdrive thing that would be sixth gear is your overdrive. for some reason people hear the word overdrive and they think that they're turning it on when really they are turning it off because you want to turn overdrive off the pass somebody but they got the word overdrive like fast in their head and I don't know people just don't know common Sense things. also if I don't follow the shift points and I turn Eco mode off I still average
around 32 miles to the gallon and that's ripping into it every once in a while and being a little of a leadfoot. I think the worst I've ever gotten from being a leadfoot now is really really being leadfoot I got 27 miles to the gallon that was pretty much going on a hundred and ten miles an hour for the entire tank of gas and done in Mexico as always. also does anybody know an easy way to get rid of the speed limiter because I know it will go faster than 122 or 121 when my computer shuts me down and I'm sure it's like that for everybody else has this car. People always say that the Elantra isn't worth putting power to you should get rid of it and buy something else blah blah blah blah blah but you can make power with just about anything it's whether it'll hold up to that power but what I want to do is if I can find them I want to get lower compression Pistons forged connecting rods and think I'm just going to leave the springs and valve's alone I don't need to be titanium it's not like I'm trying to go some super crazy I just wanted to be able to stand up to about 15 lb to 20 lb of boost hold around 3 or 400 horsepower cuz I think that's about what that bottom end in that motor is going to take probably nobody really knows that or very little people do. also I want another question if anybody gets on this form and read this I don't know you tell if your car has an SE a GS a GLS I don't think it's an es because I have the upgraded suspension so at this point I'm not a GSls I know you can have a GLS without the entertainment system but I think you had two seats power seats so I think I'm a GS but I'm not sure anybody can let me know that that would be great and it's a coup so I'm not sure if trims are different or not. also if you're looking for a performance parts for your Hyundai Elantra the only place you're going to find him to Canada and they are still few and far between. Also i read my car at the strip and it ran 14.9 stock so if anyone needs a driver i can apparently bring your time down by 3 seconds because I'm pretty sure looking in car and driver it's states that the quarter mile was like 17:8 in a stock elentra coup me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.