Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The overdrive on my 98 Accent has stopped working. When the overdrive is on, the car will not switch into 2nd,3nd, or 4th gear. Currently I am driving my Accent without overdrive but it revs pretty high while I'm on the highway.

I took it into the dealership but they said I would need a new transmission. I don't have the $2200 to replace it so I am wondering how long I can drive without overdrive. I don't know much about transmissions, but I am asuming that the Overdrive gears are worn and that I could possibly get away with driving without it for a while?

I've had no major issues with my Accent and this is the first major problem I have encountered. I have over 220,000 km on it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I wouldn't want to second-guess the dealer, but at $2200 it would be worth getting a second opinion. Was it a Hyundai dealer you took it to? Did they

You can drive around without using overdrive for as long as you like. The engine will rev higher at high speeds and you won't get as good gas mileage, especially if you do a lot of highway driving.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sorry -sent too soon - meant to ask: Did they check electrical system as well - you live in an area where corrision from road salt can cause problems with switches and connections - a bad electrical connection could also cause some shifting problems but I've never heard of this particular one. Still, it's worth running a diagnostic scan to make sure the transmission is getting all the sifnals its supposed to.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I beliee also that the problem that you are experiencing ids electrical.
Gears in a conventional or compoung gear train don't just give up without any warning. They will make a **** of a noise before they destroy themselves.

Now you say that if you are driving with your overdrive off, that it will shift into 2nd and 3rd normally, but when you take off with the overdrive on, then it won't shift out of first, is this correct?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello BigB.

My brother has a 98 Accent and has the same problem. I owned the car before he did and had no problems with the tranny. It was diagnosed as electrical as the overdrive is electrically controlled. I remember when the alternator dided a summer ago, the overdrive was the first thing to shut down as my battery power diminished.
Take it in and have them run some diagnostics. They are relatively inexpensive and can pinpoint problems. A new tranny is not always needed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If your car won't switch from second to third, fourth etc it sounds like the car is in failsafe mode where the transmission registers a fault and as the software fails the system goes into emergency mode. Try a full diagnostic report and , if that shows negative, you should remove the ecu fuses and reconnect them and then start your car and test the transmission, if that fails to solve a software issue then you may need a new wiring loom to the transmission as these tend to susceptable to tare and in some cases moisture. By the way I know this because my excell did the same thing, With hyundai re-wiring the transmission system.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
OK, let's see if I got this;

the tranny is operating normally, as long as the O/D is off, correct ????

when the O/D switch is on, then the tranny will shift once 1-2-3 and when trying to shift into 4th, the engine just flairs up, and then the tranny is locked into one gear, YES ?????????

·
Registered
17 Posts
My brother's tranny does this. O/D on, the gears do not change at all, turn it off and you can drive as per normal, just no overdrive gear. I suspect an electical problem.
Please elaborate, Oh wise men of the wrench :D

·
Registered
422 Posts
Do you hyave access to a multimeter BigB ?

If so, The first thing you should check is your pulse generator circuit resistance.

If the circuit resistance is within specs, then you must carry out a belated field fix that was created by Hyundai to rectify Accent 95-99, Accent 00-02 and Elantra 96-00.

You must fit two condensors to your reed switch which is located behind your speedo head.

If this does not fix your problem, then I would be forced to suspect these items:

the PCSV that controls this function and/or the wiring for this function to have failed.

Transaxle range switch to have failed.

How many k's on the car, and when was the transmission oil last replaced?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I still need to know, if the tranny tries to shift once up into 4th gear before going into the "fail-safe" mode ???????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts