Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 accent 4dr with the 1.6L, and for the last 2 weeks have had OD problems. One morning on the way to work the car started bucking, and the tach shot up and the OD stopped working. I replaced the input/output speed/shift censors, but no luck. No I have to run the car with the OD turned off because if the OD is on, when the car gets up to speed, the OD engages, the tach drops to idle speed, and the car freewheels until it jerks back into third gear and the tach shoots up. While it is in a freewheel mode, if you give it throttle, the tranny acts like it is slipping, and the car will not go any faster. I know this is a lot, but does anyone have any ideas? I would greatly appreciate any help!!

·
Registered
3,151 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
ZG is right

I agree with ZG in that it is too bad you didn't start with the forum. I had a very similar problem with an '02 that I just bought. It was going into limp mode constantly. I could turn it off and restart and it would shift fine for a minute or two and then back into limp mode. Found that trick in the forums, btw. The more I read, the more assured I became that it is the OD bearing failure in the tranny. Sure enough, dropped the pan and found the remains.

So, that is where I would start. Buy some fluid from the dealership and a filter/gasket kit from your local parts store. Drain the tranny pan, drop it and look at the magnets in the bottom. Can almost guarantee you that you'll see something like this:
09AT Pan inside.JPG

The good news is that the repair is fairly easily accomplished by even a non-mechanic like me. As ZG referred, the first sticky in this sub-forum covers the problem and repair with lots of pictures, numbers and good advice. If you discover this is your problem as well, I would suggest taking pictures and posting to the sticky thread with any questions.

Mine has been shifting like new for a couple of weeks now and is a pleasure to drive.

:00000732:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts