Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the car tries to shift into overdrive, it falls out of gear (just as if it goes into neutral), but with the O/D-off it shifts normally through 3 gears. Does anyone have any thoughts on where to begin to look to fix this?
Thanks,
J

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hi J

That sounds like a problem with the end clutch.

This is a separate set of planet gears inside the transaxle that provide overdrive. Either the end clutch itself could be worn or the hydraulic pressure in that part of the transmission isn't sufficient to activate it because of a worn or broken valve or even some blockage inside the transmission.

A transmission place will be able to check the end clutch pressure and tell you more precisely what could be wrong but fixing something like this usually means taking the whole transaxle apart.

I hope I'm wrong about this because otherwise this could be a very expensive fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi im mike
my wife's car is a 1999 hyundai elantra with 105000 miles on it.
we are having a problem with the trains. (auto) it is not going into overdrive
it go's into neutral.

please help

have you found and or fixed your trains. problem? mike

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
gordo almost got it correct, the end-clutch (no separate planet gears in the box) seem to be at fault. this is easy to check, and the end-clutch can be removed and checked in +-30 min.
what excactly happen when the tranny schifts into 4th gear ????

·
Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by gordo@Oct 19 2004, 04:16 PM
Hi J

That sounds like a problem with the end clutch.

This is a separate set of planet gears inside the transaxle that provide overdrive. Either the end clutch itself could be worn or the hydraulic pressure in that part of the transmission isn't sufficient to activate it because of a worn or broken valve or even some blockage inside the transmission.

A transmission place will be able to check the end clutch pressure and tell you more precisely what could be wrong but fixing something like this usually means taking the whole transaxle apart.

I hope I'm wrong about this because otherwise this could be a very expensive fix.
[snapback]1838[/snapback]​

*IF* indeed the end clutch is faulty, that would be a very easy, on-the-car repair, which does not require pulling the transmission.

Keep in mind that the above condition does NOT necessarily mean the end clutch is bad.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Originally posted by mikesbug@Jan 21 2005, 05:14 PM
hi im mike
my wife's car is a 1999 hyundai elantra with 105000 miles on it.
we are having a problem with the trains. (auto) it is not going into overdrive
it go's into neutral.

please help

have you found and or fixed your trains. problem?                                                                                        mike
[snapback]5215[/snapback]​

Have a shop check the overdrive switch on the gear select lever.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
HMMMM, Stu Anderson,
could be a problem with the valve body, front clutch or the L/R-brake.
Do this test for me:
1st select "L", accelerate up to 3000 rpm and then take your foot of the accelerator. Does the car decelerate, or does it free-wheel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts