Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are coming into a rare cold snap here in Portland with temperatures scheduled to drop close to the single-digits. Ever since we've dropped below the mid-40s, I've noticed my outside temperature gauge only reads in odd-numbered increments. It goes from 39 to 37 to 35 and 33. Not once have I seen it say 38, 36, or 34. Tonight is supposed to hit 20 so I'll have to see how it behaves in the morning but has anybody else noticed this in theirs? I swear it never did it when it was warmer.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Fahrenheit is a very inefficient unit of measurement. By eliminating even numbers Hyundai probably saved 1/10 of a mpg. :grin:

Mine displays single-degree increments in Celsius.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Everywhere else in the world uses Celcius so the display will convert the exact temperature to the nearest whole number in Celcius and then do a further conversion to Fahrenheit when selected.

·
Registered
398 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Nov 22 2010, 07:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373998
We are coming into a rare cold snap here in Portland with temperatures scheduled to drop close to the single-digits. Ever since we've dropped below the mid-40s, I've noticed my outside temperature gauge only reads in odd-numbered increments. It goes from 39 to 37 to 35 and 33. Not once have I seen it say 38, 36, or 34. Tonight is supposed to hit 20 so I'll have to see how it behaves in the morning but has anybody else noticed this in theirs? I swear it never did it when it was warmer.
Without being able to look (i loaned my Santy to the folks for their trip over the Cascades to Seattle), I can remember seeing 32 on the temp gauge. Once they get back tomorrow I'll take a quick look-see to confirm.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Saw 22 and 32 today!!

I'm not sure the C-to-F conversion theory holds water because in some cases, it's rounding in the wrong direction OR converting precise fractions in some cases. Granted this is NOT supposed to be a scientific device so maybe I'm just overthinking it. At any rate, all the numbers here are temperatures I observed today in the Fahrenheit scale converted to Celsius.

ºF ºC

22 -5.5
23 -5
25 -3.8
27 -2.7
31 -0.5
32 0
33 0.5

They are calling for temps in the teens tomorrow morning so I'll have to see how it goes once we get down there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
QUOTE (lovemysantafe @ Nov 23 2010, 12:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=373998

That's odd... :grin:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great observation with the odd numbers, now I have to go outside in the cold and look.... Would anyone know where the sensor for the outside temp is located ? 09' SE (fahrenheit guy...)

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
We are all spoiled brats if odd-increment temperature displays are the biggest problem we can find with our cars. My first car - a 1980 Pontiac - would randomly barf its brake fluid all over the ground in an apparent attempt to kill me. And that's the way I liked it. :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (Don67 @ Dec 16 2010, 08:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380663
We are all spoiled brats if odd-increment temperature displays are the biggest problem we can find with our cars. My first car - a 1980 Pontiac - would randomly barf its brake fluid all over the ground in an apparent attempt to kill me. And that's the way I liked it. :p
Hahaha, well said. But I still like the discussion :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd like to change my temperature reading from Celsius to Fahrenheit too but in my brand new GLS there is a Mode button but no Dual button.
Does anyone know how I'd make that change? :liebe011:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I believe there is no way to change the reading of measurement in the gauge cluster but I could be wrong. See if the owner's manual has that info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts