Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the cracked outside mirror (glass only) on my 2017 Elantra Limited. Does the existing glass mirror just pop out and the new mirror pop in? I've been told that it's a pretty simple job to replace it but want to make sure I do it right so that i don't mess up any of the wiring that goes to it for blind-spot detection. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would youtube it. Sometimes the exact technique for "popping it out" is very close to the technique for "breaking the effing thing."

Reactions: Gerard 2

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Shop manual for this car only shows how to replace the entire mirror, pop off the plastic cover on the inside, remove two connectors, three nuts and its in your hand.

There is an unbelievable amount of circuit diagrams for these "outside mirrors" as what the shop manual calls them, searching for a side view mirror results in nothing. Many different electrical options for these mirrors.

But nothing about how to disassemble the mirror assembly. See aftermarket mirror glass only, with that in your hand can see what the back of it looks like.

Do have concern about these, had broken glass before, if you learn anything, please share it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK - it was pretty simple to do. When I picked up the glass/mirror at the parts counter the guy there explained to me how to do it. You just grab the outside edges of the broken mirror and gently pull on it until it disengages from the mounting bracket which is located inside the mirror housing. The actual glass mirror is mounted onto a plastic plate that has clips on it and wiring terminals. Just unplug the wires from your old mirror and plug them onto the same posts on your new mirror and you're all set. Then take your new mirror and align it with the mounting bracket inside the mirror assembly. Start applying pressure to the surface of the mirror until you hear and feel it snap onto the bracket. There are two larger metal clips that fit into recessed areas to make sure that you install it correctly. You will have to push all around the face of the mirror because there are multiple attachment points that all have to click into place on the mounting bracket. Once you know that it's attached then adjust your mirror and start your car. The various indicators on the mirror surface will light up when started which will let you know that you have everything plugged in correctly. One other thing - make sure that you cover the surface of the broken glass mirror with duct tape so that it doesn't disintegrate when you pull it out. It took me longer to tape up the mirror than it did to remove and replace it. At the most, this is a 10-minute job - no fuss... no muss.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Thank you for posting this, last time I replaced a mirror needed a screwdriver, but working on this new stuff, look at my garage wall loaded with all kinds of tools, only tool I need is a plastic pry bar.

You probably learned a lot easier to snap that new mirror in then to unsnap the old one out.

And when you do unsnap not nice to see tabs broken off and stuck in the holes you unsnapped from.

Never want to unsnap in cold weather.

·
Registered
816 Posts
too bad you didn't take any pictures... :)

Reactions: M25201
1 - 7 of 7 Posts