Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, the other day after work I had walked to my 2007 Hyundai Sonata and unlocked it and went to open the driver door and the handle just came right off in my hand. Not sure what happened, but the handle was in good condition and nothing had hit it or looked like someone tried to get into my car. It looks like part of the handle broke on the inside. And so now I have been having to unlock the car and open the passenger door reach over start my car and roll down the driver side window and then walk around and open the driver door from the inside. Has anyone had this happen? Its kinda annoying and my warranty is obviously expired with 106000 miles on it. Its been a great car for me and now its starting to exhibit some issues. Can't afford to go trade it in for another car, so I am having to deal with the no handle. I'm pretty good at fixing things, so I thought I might find the replacement and just replace it myself. So does anyone know a good place to order a door handle for my model Hyundai at an affordable price. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
aalanis from Texas:(

·
Registered
548 Posts
Well the warranty wouldn't have covered that anyway... bumper to bumper was expired long before 100k miles.

Can't afford to go trade it in for another car, so I am having to deal with the no handle.
IMO, Talking about trading the car due to no driver door handle is absurd BTW. Need to also consider how often a door handle is used, and how many times a day even. A definite wearable item.

Anyhow you can purchase the handle from the dealer... aftermarket won't hold up as long nor as good in quality.

I have listed below instructions on how to replace:

OUT SIDE HANDLE REPLACEMENT
1.Remove the following parts.
A.Remove the front door trim.
B.Remove the glass.
C.Remove inside handle.
2.After disconnecting the cover (A), remove the outside handle base (B).

3.Remove door module.
4.Installation is the reverse of removal.

Good luck -don't forget to keep us updated.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Walk into local dealer part dept and buy handle.. if painted, it wont be, that be extra time and money if you want painted..

5 minute DIY tops to install new handle..

Yes, they only plastic, then consider how hard people "yank" on them being in a hurry..

--------> Cubas' directions are incorrect... only the pic is some what correct...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Remove the black plastic cap to expose bolt behind it
(Disregard the 3 latch screws, this pic was painted for somebody doing a different task a while back)

Remove bolt, DO NOT DROP BOLT into door, or you'll be taking panels off to get bolt from bottom of door

After removing bolt safely, wiggle/pull lock module straight out of door.. fish out missing piece of old door handle so you have all to look like like new handle, and install new handle in reverse of seen in pic,, set lock back in, and reinstall screw to hold lock inplace, put black cap back over hole

Attachments

Reactions: Nate884u

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
What do you want from somebody that does this everyday, had a working camera until a few month ago, and hangs out on this site ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bolt specification

While taking a odd turn around a jeep, jeep hit the butt(end cap) of rear-right exterior-door handle. Because of this impact the bolt holding the butt in place broke.

Now I need a replacement bolt, can someone please specfy the size of bolt that I should purchase?

Thanks in advance :smile::smile:

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's a little different on a 2009 Sonata...black cap is in a different location inside the rear door.....if you use a socket extension screwdriver type with flexible spring driver you can keep pressure on the 8mm screw so it won't fall down into door..rest of procedure is same as sbr711's very helpful pics!

·
Registered
1 Posts
...I went to open the driver door and the handle just came right off in my hand.

I have had TWO handles come off in my hand just this week. On inspection, it looks to be a cheap part and poor design. The unit breaks away from the screw holding it in, which could happen thru heat erosion, humidity (hello Southern living), having door closed too hard, any/all... who knows. All I know, I feel you completely. My car went from being a nice looking, well kept car to looking like a junker and I'm so embarrassed. We have to crawl in through the backseat to get in. I've never had a car do this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, the other day after work I had walked to my 2007 Hyundai Sonata and unlocked it and went to open the driver door and the handle just came right off in my hand. Not sure what happened, but the handle was in good condition and nothing had hit it or looked like someone tried to get into my car. It looks like part of the handle broke on the inside. And so now I have been having to unlock the car and open the passenger door reach over start my car and roll down the driver side window and then walk around and open the driver door from the inside. Has anyone had this happen? Its kinda annoying and my warranty is obviously expired with 106000 miles on it. Its been a great car for me and now its starting to exhibit some issues. Can't afford to go trade it in for another car, so I am having to deal with the no handle. I'm pretty good at fixing things, so I thought I might find the replacement and just replace it myself. So does anyone know a good place to order a door handle for my model Hyundai at an affordable price. All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I love both door handles on the driver side of my Hyundai sonata 2007
Thanks
I LOST Both driver side door Handels on my 2007 Sonata, withoutthe Remote to unLock the DOORS ,I am Screwed, only way to get into car is break Window or crawl through Trunk, good car besides cheap Plastic

1 - 15 of 15 Posts