Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a non running 2005.

I need help with pictures that detail the proper orientation of the relays in this vehicle.

Anyone with a running Sonata who can help with pictures of this will be highly appreciated.

This is necessary because it is possible to reverse the orientation due to the how this part was designed from the factory.

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it does, the relays are shaped like a rectangle or square.

But what is worse, they can be placed in either of two positions.

One is obviously right, and one is clearly wrong.

These are 4 pin relays.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
All the relays I've seen whether square or rectangle are keyed, usually by the 12V+ supply for the power side.

But if yours aren't then you will need to do some testing of the relay socket.

Does the relay bottom have any numbers?

With an ohm meter two sides of the relay should give you a reading through the coil. The other two would be the power in and power out.

At the socket with the key or device on there should be 12v on two legs and a ground. Either the ground or one of the 12v+ will be switched by what ever turns the relay on.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/relay-guide.html

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,312 Posts
The orientation of the relays shouldn't really matter.

On the bottom of the relay you will see the numbers 85, 86, 87 & 30 marked.
85 & 86 are the terminals connected to the relay coil (the relay control circuit) and 87 & 30 are the terminals connected to the switch contacts (the relay load circuit).

If you look at the picture below you'll see that it doesn't matter what way round you install the relay, the switch terminals will always land in the load circuit in the fusebox and the coil terminals will always land on the control circuit.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All the relays I've seen whether square or rectangle are keyed, usually by the 12V+ supply for the power side.

But if yours aren't then you will need to do some testing of the relay socket.

Does the relay bottom have any numbers?

With an ohm meter two sides of the relay should give you a reading through the coil. The other two would be the power in and power out.

At the socket with the key or device on there should be 12v on two legs and a ground. Either the ground or one of the 12v+ will be switched by what ever turns the relay on.
It is true that nearly all relays are square or rectangle but not are designed in such a way that they can be installed in reverse.

My automotive troubleshooting knowledge does not span a vast array of vehicles, but I have dealt with vehicles in which it is impossible to reverse the relays as a function of their design, as opposed to those I have seen on this vehicle, which led to this question in the first place.

I know how to test relays to determine if they are good. I also know about the control side and the switch sides of the relays.

My question was more along the lines of how does one use a multi-meter to determine the correct orientation of the relay in the absence of a wiring diagram

Yes, the relay has numbers 30 and 87, 85 and 86.

Yes, I was able to establish continuity between two sockets out of the 4 with the battery positive terminal, is that the same thing as you saying: "At the socket with the key or device on there should be 12v on two legs"

Thanks for the 12voltplanet resource.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The orientation of the relays shouldn't really matter.

On the bottom of the relay you will see the numbers 85, 86, 87 & 30 marked.
85 & 86 are the terminals connected to the relay coil (the relay control circuit) and 87 & 30 are the terminals connected to the switch contacts (the relay load circuit).

If you look at the picture below you'll see that it doesn't matter what way round you install the relay, the switch terminals will always land in the load circuit in the fusebox and the coil terminals will always land on the control circuit.
I can see the numbers.

My problem is that I have been able to install it in either of the following orientations, and from the little I know of electronics, one of them has got to be wrong.

86 87
85 30

30 85
87 86

I hope I have made my point.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
Please take some pictures of your relay socket and post them.

And if you insert the relay backwards I bet it will either not work or blows a fuse when the circuit is energized.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
So you can't use that picture to figure the orientation out? Are the relays you have all unmarked on the top unlike the picture? Just plug them in and see if it works.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have decided to use that picture since his vehicle appears to be in working order.

The relays are unmarked on top, but marked under.

Let's consider this thread as closed for now.

Immense thanks to everyone who stepped in to help

·
Registered
15,312 Posts
I can see the numbers.

My problem is that I have been able to install it in either of the following orientations, and from the little I know of electronics, one of them has got to be wrong.

86 87
85 30

30 85
87 86

I hope I have made my point.
You've made your point but the point your making is incorrect.

If you look more carefully at the numbers on the bottom of the relay I'm sure you'll find they aren't orientated the way you've shown them. I'm confident you'll find that 87 & 30 are diagonally opposite, as are 85 & 86. Which means it doesn't matter which way round you install the relay, the switch terminals will always align with the load circuit and the coil will always align with the control circuit. If your relay terminals are orientated they way you've shown them, that is probably why your car is a non runner. You have the wrong type of relays fitted to the fusebox.

ONE WAY.......................OR THE OTHER

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You've made your point but the point your making is incorrect.

If you look more carefully at the numbers on the bottom of the relay I'm sure you'll find they aren't orientated the way you've shown them. I'm confident you'll find that 87 & 30 are diagonally opposite, as are 85 & 86. Which means it doesn't matter which way round you install the relay, the switch terminals will always align with the load circuit and the coil will always align with the control circuit. If your relay terminals are orientated they way you've shown them, that is probably why your car is a non runner. You have the wrong type of relays fitted to the fusebox.

ONE WAY.......................OR THE OTHER
Diagonally opposite? True.

Sorry for the wrong orientation in my representation above.

I agree with you.

I do have the correct relays installed.

I do have a problem I am trying to resolve...the schematics of the passenger compartment fuse box...can you help with that, so I know what each relay does here: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/y2-ef...-passenger-compartment-dashboard-fusebox.html

·
Registered
15,312 Posts
I do have a problem I am trying to resolve
Maybe if you explain what the problem is we can offer some advise about how best to solve it?

Are those relays your asking about mounted to the back of the dashboard fusebox? If so, they are the relays that power the central locking actuators. You should hear one click when you lock the doors and the other click when you unlock them.

Fusebox Layout.....thanks to a quick Google search.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Maybe if you explain what the problem is we can offer some advise about how best to solve it?

Are those relays your asking about mounted to the back of the dashboard fusebox? If so, they are the relays that power the central locking actuators. You should hear one click when you lock the doors and the other click when you unlock them.

Fusebox Layout.....thanks to a quick Google search.
Thank you for your reply,and the images.

Yes, those relays are mounted to the back of the dashboard fusebox. There are 6 in number, 3 grey, 1 white (not exactly a relay by the way), 2 black.

The two black are faulty.

Actually I am looking for more than just the below. I have spent a lot of time searching on Google without results, maybe because the information is proprietary, or maybe I used the wrong search string.

I need a wiring diagram for the interior fusebox.

I had a subscription to Hyundai Factory information which has expired, and at the moment, I am not in a position to renew it.

I was wondering if anyone had and could avail me of the wiring for the interior fusebox.

I want to be sure I have checked everything first, before I open a thread specific to the problem at hand...getting the vehicle to run, for now, I am fixing the abuses to the vehicle.

·
Registered
15,312 Posts
There are 6 in number, 3 grey, 1 white (not exactly a relay by the way), 2 black.
As shown on the diagram :
3 Grey : Defogger Relay, Power Window Relay & Tail Lamp Relay (the small one).
1 White : Two Terminal Pre Excitation Resistor for the alternator
2 Black : Door Lock Relay 1 & 2.

AkpaUtom said:
The two black are faulty.
Oh well, that's a simple fix then. What's gone wrong with the relays?

AkpaUtom said:
I need a wiring diagram for the interior fusebox.
Sorry, I can't help you with that. I don't have much info on your model I'm afraid.
@wongpfh is the forum's main diagram guy. Maybe he'll have something for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts