Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to do a quick, cheap rear brake job for my 2016 Elantra.

The organic pads are cheap. Would anyone recommend them?

Thanks. :wink:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Not really.

We sell a couple sets of organics at work... nobody really buys them. When talking to customers we don't even mention them. It's not a sales thing to push higher costing items, just a quality thing.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Don't recommend organic pads. Check rockauto.com
Plenty of good pad choices in ceramic. Raybestos EHT is a good pad for the money.

Reactions: RockerGuy

·
Registered
882 Posts
Get wearever platinum pads from advanced auto parts. Lifetime worn out warranty, so you don't need to pay on pads anymore. Local shop so easy to buy/return

·
Supporting Vendor
1,731 Posts
Wanting to do a quick, cheap rear brake job for my 2016 Elantra. The organic pads are cheap. Would anyone recommend them?
Hi there, organic brake pads are less expensive, yet they will not last long, as the material is softer and is not resistant to high temperatures and wear. Organic pads are a good solution for those, who don't drive a lot and/or want to prolong lifespan of their brake rotors.
Here are ceramic brake pads we've got for your Elantra, in average they are around $30 per set of 2.
2016 Hyundai Elantra disc brake pads

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Cheap and brakes should not go together.

Reactions: guidvce

·
Registered
417 Posts
IMO, organic pads will make the wheels dirty quicker. If you want cheap, get cheap ceramics.

Looking on RockAuto, I can't even find organics with all the options they have. And they have only 2 that are >$30

Frankly, I wouldn't even put organics on a car I was selling.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Time for new brakes on my '12. At just over>50k miles, I did all 4 wheels. The dealer said I had 10% pad left on my last complementary safety inspection. I had been having some pulsing and grinding noise with applying the brakes for a while. I suspected that the rotors were shot. Upon my own inspection, I measured ~40% pad remaining not 10% that the dealer said! All rotors were worn, rusted pitted and simply, due for replacement. I also found that 2 of the Hyundai OEM pads had delaminated from the their backing plate and were floating free. I replaced them with brand name components: Raybestos RPT (coated) rotors and Wagner ThermoQuiet (ceramic) pads. My Rockauto delivered cost was $135 after the 5% discount code. That's a BIG savings compared to the just-under-$800 that the dealer quoted me. I generally find with DIY work, paying a little extra for good parts is money well spent IMO.

BTW, I had to drill out 7 of the 8 Philips head rotor-retaining screws. Ugh!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I like ceramic because of the reduced dust and they tend to stick (rust) to the rotors when wet and the e-brake is set.

As far as the screws, get one of these. Sears.com
Gets them out every time. Then use never freeze.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Organic pads are soft and cheap. throw a LOT of brake dust but will get your car to eventually stop while putting less wear on the rotors. Ceramic are a great improvement over organic when it comes to stopping power, dealing with heat and reducing brake dust, however, they will wear out the rotors faster. IMO, it is a small price to pay for the added safety of better braking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts