Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or, at least OEM for certain Hyundai/Kia models. It looks like these were intended for the Elantra, but this eBay seller also positions them for the Sonata and a few other models. It looks like I'll have to sand down the dead pedal and use trim tape to stick it do the "pedal" sewn into the floor. Has anyone else tried this one?

HYUNDAI 2011 2012 2013 SONATA I45 GENUINE PARTS SILVER SPORT PEDALS 1SET AUTO

·
Registered
660 Posts
A nice improvement over stock. I just finished my install earlier in the week on my GT. They were all drill and screw on though. Nice job!

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Want these BADLY!!! May grab a set and see how they work out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pedals finally arrived!

It took three weeks, but the pedals finally arrived from Korea! Just as shown in the ad, they are OEM parts. Oddly, the brake pedal is in Kia packaging:

Also strange is that the brush pattern is horizontal on the brake and accelerator but vertical on the dead pedal:

It's not a big issue for me since you really can't tell unless you observe them closely. This isn't a concours-level machine, anyway. B)

Anyway, here is where it gets tricky. As mentioned before, these pedals were intended for an Elantra. Replacing the accelerator and brake is pretty straightforward. I'm using this post in the Elantra forum as my guide. However, the dead pedal is more challenging. Our dead "pedal" is just a patch sewn into the carpet that covers a hump in the floor pan. This is an actual pedal assembly.

According to the ad, I should cut and sand the back until it's smooth and attach with double-sided tape. However, this leaves a lip that I don't think will be covered by the hood latch trim panel - you can see it on the right side of the photo. But the more I look at it, I'm wondering if it might work better to bend the metal tabs, remove the metal part from the plastic backing and tape that to the floor instead. That would cover the area while keeping the pedal thickness to a minimum.

What do you folks think? In any case, I'm going to trim / smooth the pedal backing down and test fit.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Its going to put him in Genesis territory! Who needs a 3.8 when you got brushed pedals, baby? LOL

Seriously though, I think you are on the right track with the sanding. However, it looks like the brushed aluminum part is held onto a plastic backing plate with those tabs in pic 3. Could you undo those (some way) and then just glue the brushed piece onto the dead pedal in the carpet?

Oh and I get a lot of my KDM stuff in KIA packaging. Its cheaper, and it lets me know just how interchangeable our cars are.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could you undo those (some way) and then just glue the brushed piece onto the dead pedal in the carpet?
I'm thinking very seriously about it since I lack the proper sanding tools. My only concerns are 1. that I may not have a solid connection since I'd have the get the taping / gluing just right to avoid just the rubber sticking to the floor and causing the pedal to hang loose, and 2. that I'll mess up the dead pedal by bending / breaking the tabs. I don't have anything to cut or smooth out metal.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good news / bad news.

I had a chance to work with the brake and accelerator assemblies tonight. The good news first: the brake was a perfect match! Had it swapped out in a minute.

The bad news: The accelerator is not a 1-to-1 swap-out. I followed the instructions in my post above and found that the mounting is not quite the same. The two bolts holding the assembly in place were very long. The nuts were down so far that I could not get at them with my socket wrench - even with an extension.

However, I also noticed that the assembly holding the ball end of the joint is not the same. After getting the pedal base off, I found that I could move the pedal out of the way enough to pry the retainer off with a small screwdriver. Here are the post-removal shots:

After that, it was relatively easy to get the base off. Again, just a matter of prying away a retaining clip and sliding the pedal out. Here it is reverse order so you can see where I pried:

It was really difficult to get the ball assembly out of the back of the pedal. As the guide post said, it's very rigid plastic. I had to brace the pedal and then push against one side with a large screwdriver while pulling gently on the ball assembly so as not to break it.

Goopy, isn't it?

Anyway, here is where things went wrong. After finally getting the ball assembly out, I thought it would be a simple to snap it into the new pedal. But no - turns out the dowel section of the assembly is just a bit too wide to fit in the the Elantra pedal's mounting point. Failure. :mad:

So, no choice but to put it all back together and come up with another plan of attack. I think I'm going to see if I can purchase an Elantra ball assembly and go from there. I also might see about getting a base, too. I tried to test-fit the Elantra pedal in the Sonata base, and it felt like it was getting stuck about halfway through. No idea of that would fit the Sonata floor, though.

Fortunately, there is a local Craigslist ad for someone parting out a 2012 Elantra, but I don't know if they have this specific part. I also checked a local dealer's site, but I couldn't find the ball socket; it might be tied up in an entire pedal assembly. I'm also going to look through the classifieds.

As for the dead pedal: my father-in-law lives near here and is an architect with lots of tools. He looked at this thread and said he had the stuff to get the back of the pedal shaved down. I asked his opinion on removing the aluminum (actually stainless steel) and attaching just that, and he said that over time the pressure could eventually cause the material to bend and bow since it wouldn't be attached to a completely flat surface. The plastic gives it the rigidity it needs.

So, that's a massive post. But better that someone reads it and doesn't go disassembling their pedals like I did. I welcome your comments and suggestions on next steps.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I had a chance to work with the brake and accelerator assemblies tonight. The good news first: the brake was a perfect match! Had it swapped out in a minute.

The bad news: The accelerator is not a 1-to-1 swap-out. I followed the instructions in my post above and found that the mounting is not quite the same. The two bolts holding the assembly in place were very long. The nuts were down so far that I could not get at them with my socket wrench - even with an extension.

However, I also noticed that the assembly holding the ball end of the joint is not the same. After getting the pedal base off, I found that I could move the pedal out of the way enough to pry the retainer off with a small screwdriver. Here are the post-removal shots:

After that, it was relatively easy to get the base off. Again, just a matter of prying away a retaining clip and sliding the pedal out. Here it is reverse order so you can see where I pried:

It was really difficult to get the ball assembly out of the back of the pedal. As the guide post said, it's very rigid plastic. I had to brace the pedal and then push against one side with a large screwdriver while pulling gently on the ball assembly so as not to break it.

Goopy, isn't it?

Anyway, here is where things went wrong. After finally getting the ball assembly out, I thought it would be a simple to snap it into the new pedal. But no - turns out the dowel section of the assembly is just a bit too wide to fit in the the Elantra pedal's mounting point. Failure. :mad:

So, no choice but to put it all back together and come up with another plan of attack. I think I'm going to see if I can purchase an Elantra ball assembly and go from there. I also might see about getting a base, too. I tried to test-fit the Elantra pedal in the Sonata base, and it felt like it was getting stuck about halfway through. No idea of that would fit the Sonata floor, though.

Fortunately, there is a local Craigslist ad for someone parting out a 2012 Elantra, but I don't know if they have this specific part. I also checked a local dealer's site, but I couldn't find the ball socket; it might be tied up in an entire pedal assembly. I'm also going to look through the classifieds.

As for the dead pedal: my father-in-law lives near here and is an architect with lots of tools. He looked at this thread and said he had the stuff to get the back of the pedal shaved down. I asked his opinion on removing the aluminum (actually stainless steel) and attaching just that, and he said that over time the pressure could eventually cause the material to bend and bow since it wouldn't be attached to a completely flat surface. The plastic gives it the rigidity it needs.

So, that's a massive post. But better that someone reads it and doesn't go disassembling their pedals like I did. I welcome your comments and suggestions on next steps.

Can you explain further how you got that retainer clip off (2nd and 3rd pics) I have been trying without any success....are there 3 clips? I tried depressing the bits that stick out of the slots but they are not moving!!!
HELP :eek:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can you explain further how you got that retainer clip off (2nd and 3rd pics) I have been trying without any success....are there 3 clips? I tried depressing the bits that stick out of the slots but they are not moving!!!
HELP :eek:
Those bits are parts of the arm assembly. They don't give, so depressing them won't do any good. I wedged a small screwdriver (seen in the pics above) between the arm and the retainer clip and slowly raised the clip over the raised bits while pulling on it. It's plastic, so you need to bend it but not break break it. They key is to go slowly and carefully.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Those bits are parts of the arm assembly. They don't give, so depressing them won't do any good. I wedged a small screwdriver (seen in the pics above) between the arm and the retainer clip and slowly raised the clip over the raised bits while pulling on it. It's plastic, so you need to bend it but not break break it. They key is to go slowly and carefully.
Ok , thanks I will go slow!
Trying to get the retainer clip over all three raised bits at the same time will prove tricky!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok , thanks I will go slow!
Trying to get the retainer clip over all three raised bits at the same time will prove tricky!
It definitely wasn't designed to be taken off once put on. But I started with the front one (facing outward toward the seats) and the others popped off at the same time. If you can pry the first one, you should be able to work off the others by hand.

·
Registered
808 Posts
It definitely wasn't designed to be taken off once put on. But I started with the front one (facing outward toward the seats) and the others popped off at the same time. If you can pry the first one, you should be able to work off the others by hand.
Took about 45 minutes of frustration but I finally got the cover off that holds the "ball" of the pedal. Once that was off it took literally 1 minute to fit the new accelerator pedal. The brake pedal followed shortly after. Big thanks to ATLSonataTurbo for the pics and helpful instructions for getting that cover off, boy that was difficult!

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad I could help! If you happen to spot an Elantra part-out, let me know.

Fun aside: I found a guy on the local Craigslist that was parting out a 2012 Elantra, so I asked if he had the accelerator assembly. He wanted $100 for it. It costs $56 new from the dealer - and I only need the ball socket and base. I offered $20 for those two and will see what happens.

So, first lesson learned: Anyone else considering this mod should spring for a version that has the complete accelerator assembly. It's only about $30 more, but you have more parts to play with to try to make this work. :00000732:

·
Registered
808 Posts
Glad I could help! If you happen to spot an Elantra part-out, let me know.

Fun aside: I found a guy on the local Craigslist that was parting out a 2012 Elantra, so I asked if he had the accelerator assembly. He wanted $100 for it. It costs $56 new from the dealer - and I only need the ball socket and base. I offered $20 for those two and will see what happens.

So, first lesson learned: Anyone else considering this mod should spring for a version that has the complete accelerator assembly. It's only about $30 more, but you have more parts to play with to try to make this work. :00000732:
If i come across a Elantra version i will let you know. I think the craiglist guy will drop his price.
I purchased the complete accelerator pedal assembly, base,pedal and ball socket. Plus the brake pedal
Cost me $78 but was well worth. Once I got that clip off it assembled in seconds.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts